• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CthulhuTactical

Captain
14 Badges
Nov 15, 2017
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Semper Fi
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II
It would be real nice and useful for modders like BlackICE team if Paradox could release open source of HoI3. Anyway i think some policy could be implemented where old games that are pretty much sustained solely by few big mods could be released as open source for benefit of the community.

Reactions:
Unfortunately, that is impossible because Paradox uses the same engine in all their games, though it gets updated every now and then. Sharing the source code for HoI3 to the public means making that engine public too. I agree that it would be awesome since dedicated modders could fix lot of issues if they could modify the .exe file freely - just look at the incredibly things people have managed to with a closed source so far - but realistically speaking it will not happen. In previous cases where a company made the source code of an old game public, the engine used for that game was long dead.

Reactions:
Unfortunately, that is impossible because Paradox uses the same engine in all their games, though it gets updated every now and then. Sharing the source code for HoI3 to the public means making that engine public too. I agree that it would be awesome since dedicated modders could fix lot of issues if they could modify the .exe file freely - just look at the incredibly things people have managed to with a closed source so far - but realistically speaking it will not happen. In previous cases where a company made the source code of an old game public, the engine used for that game was long dead.
Ah you are right, i forgot HoI3 is on the same engine as the rest of the games. Hopefully Paradox will move to new engine soon in their GSG games and then they can open up the oldies like hoi3.

I don't think it will happen however, hearts of iron II had three new teams get access to the source code and make stand alone ganes based on it, these games are Darkest Hour, Arsenal of Democracy and Iron Cross. I hope that similarly we can get the same thing with Hearts of Iron III. I'd even be willing and able myself but I've no open source projects or modding history to impress with.

Status
Not open for further replies.