• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ahh yes, the original Maintain the Monarchy. If memory serves, you were of the opinion that the rebel problems were far too easy to manage, considering the total lack of reforms. Has Vic. II been better in that regard? Or is it only because of your external problems, containment etc. that the rebels seem to be making at least some sort of headway?

Well played, the basic goal of protecting the Czar was succesfull... though the jacobins will never cease rebelling in this condition, I guess. Basically everything outside of Finland/St. Petersburg/Belorussia has declared as a separate nation - a Civil War?

Pity that the gold mines were out of reach ;)

Ahh yes, the original Maintain the Monarchy. If memory serves, you were of the opinion that the rebel problems were far too easy to manage, considering the total lack of reforms. Has Vic. II been better in that regard? Or is it only because of your external problems, containment etc. that the rebels seem to be making at least some sort of headway?

I believe the rebel problems are caused by the external problems, the diminished army and other factors, the rebels make some advances but it was only necessary to take the troops to the capital and then defeat the other rebel armies, one by one. They are probably a nuisance, not a threat

Willem: Crazy thing about that, the original was finished about 3 1/2 years ago and time can play tricks on a memory. I’ve had many more close calls with the rebels in Victoria II however I think much of this comes from going over the BB limit whereas in Vik I I stayed at around 20 or under. The biggest difference between 1 & 2 are that the rebels eventually died down in 1. In Victoria II they just keep coming and coming and in so many different forms. This keeps a very Monarchy-like nation battling from about 1890 – 1936. If a crossover to any HOI were possible I’d hate to see what my Russia would look like.

If I hadn’t gone over the BB limit the rebellions still would’ve caused problems but I think with guards, airplanes and tanks I would’ve been able to put them down much easier and quicker than with the mostly-militia army I’ve been using. With that said, if I had been at war with Austria, China, France, UK or US and decided to fight my wars outside of Russia, the rebels could’ve still caused problems. Without containment however, I would’ve been able to pick and choose my wars and the rebellions likely wouldn’t have looked so nasty.

To end, the ferocity is about the same but in Victoria II they keep coming back and never go away. It would be interesting to see the impact of a series of serious rebellions against a reactionary government in a more compact nation. But if I ever did another one of these AARs I’d definitely stay under the limit no matter how bored I became. Even if I could’ve fought off the Chinese I probably would’ve given in anyway because constant warfare is boring for me in a game like this.

Juan_de_Marco: Separate releases mostly because I was tired of fighting rebels all the time.

lucasdayan: More or less.

Captain Austin: Thanks.

dodedo: And she said I would never find anyone better than her ;)

This Update’s Observation:​
I would’ve written an update yesterday but it was a choice between either writing the AAR or watching the entire first season of Ned & Stacey. I’m sure you understand my dilemma.

By September of 1929 France had taken a small chunk out of Egypt while I spent my time trying to retake Korea.

sg1ow3.jpg

258tthe.jpg

Beginning early 1930 France continued her wave of destruction by declaring war on Portugal while Sweden moved into the Top 8 and Anarcho-Rebels rose throughout Russia. The rebels weren’t a large enough menace to keep an eye on.

246vxg0.jpg

Generally if the box can display every province where a rebel rising occurs, it isn’t a big deal.

Mid July Venezuela declared war on Ecuador. Since every Venezuelan ally bailed I decided to aid my dilsnufus. Russia, Ecuador and USCA v. Venezuela. I was even planning an invasion while I waited for a few extra troops to traverse Siberia.

While I waited, the Netherlands hopped on France’s train by declaring war on Portugal just as the United Kingdom’s war with Portugal ended. Portuguese Mocambique became British in late September. Portugal is having a rough time – as it should in most games considering its power.

Before the end of the month the United Kingdom then declared war on me. I guess they thought I was weak because I was at war with Venezuela. It was for containment.

UK v. Russia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, Poland, Prussia and Ecuador.

Since I decided to fight this time I’m leaving this update short but I will give you a few numbers.

Regiments:
Russia: 118 (before mobilization) 393 (after mobilization)
UK: 466

Ships:
Russia: 146
UK: 874

It seems my effort to cross the Pacific will have to be temporarily put on hold.

Population: 17.41 M
Literacy: 46.2%

Last edited:
This Update's Observation:
It was a while since I visited the OT but after Boston broke I went there and... wow. I was reminded fairly quickly why I stopped going. Trolling seems to be the norm. Oh well, no real loss. The views of your average teenager or twenty something with no real life experience wasn't going to change my mind about anything anyway. But it is interesting to read through a number of the ignorant, pathetic views if only to wonder if people actually believe what they write.

Armies and provinces in the outlaying regions of the Russian Empire went down without much of a fight. Alaska and Africa were more or less tokens I was willing to give to the British. Therefore for this war I decided to stay at home, choosing to fight on Russian soil since there would be no way I would be able to safely cross even the Bearing Strait without getting smacked around by the British Fleet. The war would be won by battles and battles alone. Invade Russia if you dare.

By the middle of November the British mobilized, increasing their total numbers to 1291 regiments. It’s a large number but mostly unimportant. Their empire can only attack me with whatever they can fit in their transports and its likely they don’t have a single large fleet ready to Normandy me.

While I had given up in Africa, I still had some units in those regions and they wouldn’t be giving in without a fight. There were no militia there, only guards and they were able to win a few minor victories through the rest of the year. Unfortunately, the entirety of Russian Zulu would be under British occupation before the year turned into 1931.

Below you can see my defensive setup. Many of these troops are mobilized reserves but even with that consideration, numbers ought to play a more important role. And you’ll also see, even if I could, why I wouldn’t be able to invade places which should be weak, such as Canada.

1 January 1931
197_zpse2327dbb.jpg

198-1_zps9f4cd334.jpg

199-1_zps0e5ca328.jpg

200-1_zps8b0f290d.jpg

202-1_zpsbcc65fdf.jpg

203-1_zps9b0d8e5f.jpg

Toward the end of January I raised all taxes to 75% and National Stockpile to 30%. I wasn’t afraid of a British invasion of the Russian mainland yet. I would wait to raise the NI even more after the whole of Africa and Alaska were conquered.

The following five months were mostly uneventful except for a lucky chance where I was able to eliminate 9 British transport ships in Soya Straight. The largest concern however, was that after France had made peace with Portugal earlier in the year, they were now beginning to cancel military access and lowering relations. This would ultimately come to a head on 22 September when France declared war. All taxes were instantly raised by 10% to 85% and National Stockpile to 100%.

207_zps4298cb4d.jpg

After French mobilization their numbers rose to 889 with 696 ships.

This declaration by France wasn’t enough for Britain to stay in the war and they agreed to a white peace on 24 October. This would allow me to move a number of troops around and concentrate on heading toward France.

I’m sure the British peace had nothing to do with the growing Communist rebellion in their country (perhaps an overflow from the OT forum.)

206_zps4c1295d9.jpg

There were a number of minor battles with France at the onset but the nicest one – and largest – appeared in Saarbrucken with a devastating loss of over 40,000 troops to the French in mid November.

210_zps441f5cca.jpg

Minor victories followed throughout the year as I brought Wallachia into my SOI, the alliance and the war.

1 January 1932

211_zpsee083a84.jpg

212_zps072aff81.jpg

213_zps674b6535.jpg

214_zpsb28091f3.jpg

Regiments
France: 855
Russia: 394
Prussia: 168

Ships:
France: 688
Russia: 146
Prussia: 96

We were obviously outmatched but I was hoping to be able to surround and destroy the French in Prussian territory while attempting to sack a few African provinces from them to keep the French moving back and forth across the map.

All did not go well as Prussia began falling back, seven of my transports at Tamatave were destroyed, and I decided to accept a white peace from Venezuela. This means no South American territories for Russia.

216_zpsca15852c.jpg

While attempting a landing in French South America - which was originally meant to invade Venezuela - I managed to lose a number of ships in a surprise attack off the Lesser Antilles. 30 Cruisers and 26 Transports went down, however all the troops I took were still survived… 72,000 of them trapped on St. Thomas. Who knew the French would care more about their Caribbean islands than their mainland?

In an effort to hurry the end of the war I had a number of militia units – and a few guards - flee a battle Prussia was involved in on their western European territory in order to besiege Paris. This plot was mainly hatched because there wasn’t a viable retreat route considering France had overwhelmed the Prussian units in the area.

218_zpse7ed5ffc.jpg

1 July 1932

219_zps9f49112c.jpg

220_zpsdaf6f58b.jpg

221_zps718fb6df.jpg

I was beginning to lose a number of African possessions and Prussia was not helping with anything on that front. The French weren’t being kept busy and for that I ended up losing the entirety of Dahomey.

14 September I decided to accept peace with France after the Paris Plot had failed and that militia mission was repelled. It wasn’t because of war score or because I was tired of war that I signed the treaty to be contained. I signed the treaty because I didn’t want to go bankrupt again which would’ve definitely pushed me out of the top eight.

I demobilized and lowered National Stockpile to 10%.

British War Casualties:
UK: 20,800
Russia: 20,568
Prussia: 2959

British War Ship Loss:
UK: 9 Transports

French War Casualties:
France: 214,773
Russia: 104,917
Prussia: 15,063
Poland: 3457

Ship Loss:
France: 0
Russia: 38 Transports, 30 Cruisers

Literacy: 47.3%
Population: 17.24M
Debt: -956,771.4

Well, at least that militia push for Paris consisted mainly of commies. Loosing those troops only means you won't have to kill them yourself later. How is your infamy by the way? I would have assumed that you would be below the 25 threshold by now. Not that it's likely to matter much with 5 years remaining and a truce with France and the UK.

71 thousand British troops in Alaska in the winter not suffering attrition? I call hacks!

Willem: I think they got a hold of those maps from the “reality” TV stars of Gold Rush and found the “Glory Holes” of vast vegetation. As for the infamy, its still around the 60’s… the constant war didn’t help lower it very much. I also did some things to keep the BB up like making a puppet out of Prussia.

Juan_de_Marco: Yeah, I don’t think I’ll ever go over the BB limit again. I probably could’ve handled it if I were serious about the first containment war but constant war in a Paradox game isn’t really what I’m looking for.

Deus Eversor: I’ll remember that the next time I have the console open :p

I Can't Keep This From You - Elton John
Might Get Lucky - Darius Rucker
What's Up With That - ZZ Top
Anastasia - Slash
Surrender To Your Kings - Amboy Dukes
Postcard From Paris - The Band Perry
Out Go The Lights - Aerosmith

This Update’s Observation:​
I’m finally back from my trip through Central America which means I can finish this AAR. Once this is through I’ll head on over to EU3 and begin writing They Call Me The Swede again. With any luck I’ll have an update for that out tonight as well… and what’s the deal with Photobucket? Are they trying to make things a mess? Back to tinypic I go.

Well, we’re just going to breeze through these last few years… And so the rest of 1932 passed mostly peaceably.

Through 1933 I had returned Greece to my SOI and I had decided to remobilize. This mobilization wouldn’t be intended as a preparation for war rather its designed to be up and ready to put down any random rebellions that rise until I’m able to create my own units again. It was also meant to keep my military score high.

By 9 June the rebels had all been put down – that I could reach without using transports – and by the 20th the debt had been repaid. Not having an army can save a lot of cash.

Alaska became more liberal thanks to an author in September and I was able to Host the Olympics and return victorious. Of course. Then in early October the Greeks accepted peace with the Ottomans ceding some hard fought territories.

2mchw0y.jpg

I allied with Greece immediately after the peace… and on 30 October the Ottomans went to war again, this time declaring war on Serbia but I wasn’t going to help. At this point it wasn’t that I was unable, it was that I was so close to the end of the game and didn’t want to lose my top 8 status... and because I was working on bringing the OE into my sphere. And by the end of the year I was able to bring Moldavia into my SOI.

1934 was relatively uneventful for me. No rebellions, no wars, its almost feeling like Victoria again. Brazil turned Fascist, China went to war with Portugal and Serbia and the Ottomans came to terms.

34ryfzd.jpg

Early 1935 I gave China MA to keep them from declaring war with me and to encourage them to help if any rebellions happened to pop up along the way. Two days later, 17 January 1935 Austria declared war on me for Slovakia. Again, because the game was over I decided to just give it to them. I didn’t want to keep stats on a year long war which would eventually turn inconclusive. But they only had 85 regiments and I, 163. I’m sure if given two years I could’ve won the war but I wasn’t up for it.

i3rv2v.jpg

4 May Portugal gave up Hong Kong and Macao to China and the next day, Zanzibar released itself from Portugal’s hold.

2lmm49f.jpg

31 August I finally brought the Ottoman Empire into my SOI. It took a lot of work but they were finally under my control.

2mow236.jpg

2 November Communists broke out again across the nation, taking a number of my troops along with them.

kcjy9e.jpg

A few days later Persia even declared war on me for containment but I wasn’t going to give in to them even though they brought Japan with them. On that same day, the 7th of November, Jacobins joined with the Communists in revolt.

19 November the Netherlands declared war to contain me and I just sat there until the end game popped up thus Maintaining the Monarchy.

I did try to grab an end screen however the game froze my computer at that point and I wasn’t able to get it. And since I had to shut everything down I haven’t tried to capture it again.

31 December 1935

rhps0g.jpg

179s2a.jpg

slisut.jpg

mto10p.jpg

2vk0qb9.jpg

sdz88m.jpg

303eohf.jpg

30v0xo4.jpg

Last edited:
Great AAR!

I want that savegame!

Deus Eversor: I could’ve done a lot better if I didn’t decide to throw the game away halfway through :p

thekinguter: Sorry man, that ain’t gonna happen. I offered them when I first started AARing but since no one ever asked I moved on and started a Denmark game soon after and since I only keep one save… But here’s a shot in 1913 to show how that’s going… It isn’t the save game but it’s the closest thing I can do now. I’ll put that below the rest of the comments.

Juan_de_Marco: I wish it were less exciting :p

dodedo: Yes, Anastasia has been saved and the Winter Palace protected. There is little need for Kerensky.

thekinguter con’t:

The North German Federation was in a Great War v. UK, France and Russia in the early 1890s along with a separate one soon after against Austria in the early to mid 1890s and still hasn’t recovered. They’re still suffering from massive revolts and the occasional breaking out of a country. I was able to take my old province that Prussia/Austria usually steals at the start of the game because NGF was so weak.

I incorporated Sweden about a decade prior to NGF's war which brought on the next event.

Early 1900s Russia decided to declare on me bringing France, OE and UK which I surprisingly fought off. Each one took Great War Capitulation treaties although it didn’t really affect France or UK at all. Guard units protected the mountainous north and Britain kept sending her units to die and be surrounded in Denmark and Sweden. Russian and Ottoman troops weren’t up to the task of removing me from Sweden while France kept being surrounded and losing troops in Africa. Before the war started I had considered writing up a History Book WWI AAR for this but I just didn’t. The US was on my side but aside from invading Canada they were worthless.

Around 1913 is where I’m at now. NGF is allied with UK, Russia lost its GP status to Japan, UK and France recently went to war – ending in a white peace – NGF is still having rebel problems – along with an occasional DOW from either Austria or France – Russia is teetering and may lose it to the rebels, I just turned the Ottomans into a puppet to help against occasional Austrian declarations and to keep the OE from constantly declaring war against my sphere or for my Egyptian region and I recently allied with a civilized China. So things are looking a-okay.

Oh, and somewhere in there while I was allied with the US I did get a chance to take a colony from Mexico… Their only colony was Idaho so with the aid of the US – where the US did all the work – I took Idaho. And I can’t remember how to show only Scandinavian holdings in the world map but all that in Africa is mine. I’m not sure what happened with the UK or France when trying to colonize.

2_zpsee9812c8.jpg

1_zpsa4f18003.jpg

Also this will be my last post in this thread regardless.