• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Feedback!

Kaiser, Merrick, Claude,

Thanks for checking in! It's been awhile since I've been able to get back to the antics of the Habsburgs, and I have missed it.

In fact, I have missed it so much, there'll be a mini-update,

right...

about...

now.

Trick or Treaty

Excerpted from "Anguished Ascendance -- the Rise of the Kingdom of Austria", by Ingtol Blaeuw

The ending of the Fourth Austo-Turkish War has been studied by Historians [1] for centuries, as an example of how not to conduct negotiations. All was chaos: the Sultan in his despair was consumed by drink; the triumphant Austrians, King lying dead on the field, were concentrated in the uttermost Eastern reaches of the Ottoman Empire; the enigmatic Novgorodians barely deigned to speak with their co-belligerents; the Anatolian heartland was aflame in civil war; and the Poles were already shipping in vast streams of colonists to Konya before peace talks even began. Add to this the dynastic mess in Austria and the Empire caused by the death of Leopold IX, and that the Austrian's best diplomat Thomas Braunfeld was universally loathed by all Turks [2] and laws existed specifically expelling him from the Empire for all time. Likewise, all parties involved coveted the Pearl of the East, Constantinople. It is little wonder that peace talks were ... confused.

The breakthrough, when it came, came from Ergstrom Schmidt, Diplomat of Austria, Braunfeld's protege. The Treaty of Thrace, signed in February of 1508, was essentially a peace of exhaustion, largely ratifying the situation on the ground. It stipulated the following:

I. That the War was to end and all parties involved would pledge not to renew hostilities until the Sun grew cold, the Moon fell from the sky, or at the very least until five years had passed.

II. The province of Karaman to be ceded to Austria [3]

III. The province of Konya to be ceded to Poland and renamed Galicia.

IV. The province of Kastamon to be ceded to Novgorod, and instructors in German language and court etiquette were to be shipped to Novgorod proper.

V. The provinces of Anatolia, Angora, and Sivas to be reconstituted as the reborn nation of Candar, under the leadership of Emir Ibrahim II. [4]

VI. The province of Thrace to remain the territory of the Ottoman Empire.

The new map of Anatolia:

mapthracebw4.png

The settlement was something of an embarrassment for Austria -- after all, they had failed to secure their one and only war aim, control of Thrace. But this soon faded into the background, to be forgotten in light of the new crisis.

Who would be the next ruler of Austria? Who would take the Holy Roman Empire?

For the Habsburgs, due to an unusual turn of circumstances, and the loss of several possible heirs to death in battle, plague, and spontaneous combustion, were critically short on heirs.

In fact there was only one.

A mere slip of a girl.

Her name: Maria Theresia

= = =

Next time: The Pragmatic Sanction!

= = =

Footnotes:

[1] Ingtol, bless his academic little heart, believes that "historians" deserves to be capitalized.

[2] Indeed, the word "barunefeldik" had entered the Turkish language as an epithet for one who tells vicious lies for personal gain.

[3] Engstrom's diary states that Austria really didn't want more territory in Asia Minor, but that the region was a site of strong Ottoman support, and as such could not be left to its own devices.

[4] The rise of Ibrahim II is a worthwhile story in its own right. Orginally a petty nomad chief, Ibrahim had amassed himself a strong regional reputation for banditry, perfidy, and various crimes against sheep. He had been active in the abortive civil war in '05 (the so-called Thomas' War), and the multi-sided meltdown left in Leopold's wake. When the peace talks began, the Austrians decided they needed a figurehead to help pry the Anatolian territories away from the Ottomans, and it was discovered that Ibrahim had recently been taken prisioner by von Softhis, leading the march back from Sivas. Regarding the prisioner, according to tradition, von Softhis, still bitter from the loss of his beloved Leopold, murmured "This is just the King they deserve". [5] For propaganda reasons, Ibrahim styled himself "Ibrahim, Second of that Name".

[5] If you find this story implausible, look up Justin I of Byzantium, or Liu Pang of China. History is absolutely full of unbelievable stories!

So ... the Ottomans got turbo-annexed?
Or did Novgorod make a separate peace and you force-released Candar from what was left?

I. That the War was to end and all parties involved would pledge not to renew hostilities until the Sun grew cold, the Moon fell from the sky, or at the very least until five years had passed.
I've seen a few peace treaties like that ;)
Liked the footnotes (oh, and New Galicia is so going to revolt off)

Clarifications

Howdy Merrick

The Novgorodians were basically conducting an entirely separate war, hence co-belligerents instead of allies. I had to wait for them to peace out, to make sure they actually took Kastamon. The object of this war was to get rid of absolutely every non-Thrace province the Ottos had, one way or another. The reasons for which, you can probably guess. ;)

I really didn't want any more land in Anatolia, so I was happy that the Poles were so insistent on camping out in Konya. Giving it to them in the peace deal made them quite happy with me. Then, taking the Turks release Candar seemed like the quickest way to get rid of a lot of territory without getting a big border with the Qara-Whoevers -- I didn't dare risk having the Turks release them release it as a vassal, because they'd probably re-annex it at just the wrong time.

(NB: I've got military access with Nov. and with Poland, so I can intervene against any rebels. I really want to keep Anatolia as quiet as possible ... the sun is setting over Ottomania, and I want some peace and quiet to prepare for ... other things.)

All that was left on the table after that was Karaman province. I really didn't want it, as it gives me a Qara border, but it was the only way. At least I'll get to convert them!

Somehow I've never been able to provoke a turbo-annex. I'm not sad about that however, because the BB price for that is very heavy, and I'm (ahem) "saving up" for Thrace. I've never gotten a throne inheritance either. And that's supposed to be the Habsburgs' specialty! There's an old quote used about Austria during the 15th C:

Bella gerant aliī, tū fēlix Austria nūbe/ Nam quae Mars aliīs, dat tibi regna Venus

Meaning basically "Others wage war, you lucky Austria marry / That which Mars [god of war] gives to others, Queen Venus [goddess of love] gives to you"

So when the @#$&**@#$^+* do I inherit my @#&$ Utrecht, hmm? ;)

Germany Sees Sweet Reason

In the wake of the Turkish war and the death of Leopold, the diplomatic situation in the Germanies was tense. The crowd of minors had largely disappeared, gathered up by Muenster, Mecklenburg, and the Palatinat. Each of these three had imperial ambitions of its own ... could this be the right time to strike?

gfeb1508op5.png

And could the untried Maria-Theresia stop them? Her resources include:
* A fetching smile. Dimples, even.

mariatheresia250hd8.jpg

Maria-Theresia

* A disarming innocence (which can be turned on at will)
* One Thomas Braunfeld, elder statesman of Austria, often known as the "Gray Fox"

Here is an example of the sort of diplomatic exchange criss-crossing the Germanies...

= = =

MT: Maria Theresia, de-facto ruler of pretty much everything South of Danube
TB: Thomas Braunfeld, Diplomat of Austria
AE: Archbishop Ernst I, ruler of Muenster
SA: King Siegmund August I of Mecklenburg

AE: It is clear ... a daughter cannot inherit the throne of Austria. Much less the Emperorship. I'm afraid the Habsburg dynasty is at an end. Austria must devolve into its component kingdoms where there are intact royal lines.

SA: My research indicates that, in fact, *I* am the closest heir to the throne. Not like I'm unbusy or anything, but [heartfelt sigh] in the interests of Germanic unity, I am willing to step up to the plate.

[MT rolls eyes]

TB: Gentlemen, I am afraid you are laboring under a misapprehension. We did not bring you here to negotiate the disposition of Austrian lands and titles.

SA: [Raises eyebrow, yet somehow does not lose his monocle. Nobody knows how these Germans do it] Then, good, sir, please do tell me why we are here.

TB: With all due respect, your Excellency, your Majesty, the interal doings of Austria are none of your concern. Maria Theresia is Archduchess of Austria, Konigin of Ungarn, Serbia und Akaia, Graffin of Ionia, Guarantor of the Hapsburg Vow, and Eisencheffin. She is beloved of her people, the Bride of Breisgau, Bursa, and Belgrade, and this is beyond negotiation. Instead, we have invited you here to inform you that you will vote for her for Imperatrix Romanorum.

[MT beams, sparkles, then subsides into demure cuteness]

AE: [Red with rage] Impossible!

SA: [Apoplectic] What could possibly make you think--

MT: Gentlemen.

[AE and SA subside]

MT: Gentlemen, I find myself in an ungraceful situation. I find myself wanting to apologize for being but 16 years of age, wanting to apologize for being born a woman. Yet I cannot, for these are things ordained by Lord God, and to do so would be impious. For your souls' sake, I beseech you likewise not to rail against the fate laid out for the Germanies from Heaven. The Habsburg heir is, by Grace of God, heir to the Empire.

AE: [Sneering] Nicely said, madchen, but do not presume to lecture an Archbishop on how theology impinges on politics. I remind you that in practical terms the Emperor is Emperor by grace of the electors.

[MT, SA, TB pause briefly to see if this staggering blasphemy will result in instant retribution via pillar of flame. It does not, so MT continues, in a much less friendly mein.]

MT: I believe, Excellency, that you have failed to grasp the nature of the Germanies' situation. All princes of Germany (I speak only in the temporal sense) serve by grace of -- me. [MT smiles, showing dimples]

AE: [Puffin] Poppycock!

SA: [Huffing] What is the legal theory behind this preposterous claim?

MT: [Smiles sweetly] I have full proof of my claims. There is much documentation, so I was forced to detach thirty thousand K-u-K regulars apiece to Lubeck and Mecklenburg to carry the paperwork.

[AE and SA are so surprised that their monocles pop out -- a humiliating social faux-pas]

TB: [Reprovingly] Maria-Theresia. Did I not teach you better than this?

MT: [Blushes contritely] My humblest apologies, Herr Braunfeld. [Addresses AE, SA] Sometimes I am the silly schoolgirl. I completely forgot to mention the matter of the two-score landsknechts who will not permit you to leave this chamber until you sign certain documents.

TB: [Sotto voce] What a girl! If I were just thirty years younger...

SA: [In uncertain tones] What exactly do you want us to agree to?

TB: Erzherzogin, if I may? All you must do is declare your support for Fraulein Habsburg for Empress. Your Excellency, your Majesty, let me put your minds at ease. It is not the intention of the Empress to intervene in the internal workings of the member states of her Empire. At present.

AE, SA: ...

MT: In fact, gentlemen, I am prepared to guarantee the independence of both Mecklenburg and Muenster for seven years.

AE: [Interested now] You'll guarantee us against Burgundy?

MT: Not just that, your Excellency. [Raising eyebrow] I'm guaranteeing you against Austria. For seven years. Are there any more negotiations you'd like to make?

AE: [Hurriedly] No no, I think I've had enough ... negotiations ... for one day. Where do I sign?

SA: [Clutching at straws] What about the Palatinat? You don't think they'll go along with this, do you?

MT: You mean dear King Johan Friederich? Once I admitted how [she sighs] handsome his son Erik is, he couldn't wait to sign an alliance with us.

SA: [Broken] Alright, I'll sign. All hail Maria-Theresia, by Grace of God Empress of the Romans!

[AE, SA sign, curtain]

= = = =

Game notes:

* MT has dip7, admin7, mil5, meaning that she can get away with murder, flash a sweet-little-girl smile, and Austria will be forgiven. It seems ... wrong, somehow ... not to exploit this. :rofl:

Last edited:
The Maedchen Monarch

The first few years of Maria-Theresia's reign were turbulent. The revived Candar actually launched an attack on Austrian possessions in Asia Minor. The traditional excessive Austrian vengeance expedition smashed Candar flat then left, leading to an unexpected disaster -- the Qara Qoyunlu gobbled up the bulk of the prostrate Emirate, then in the opening months of 1511 turned its fury onto the Austrian lands of the Aegean littoral. Surprised and outnumbered, the local garrisons reeled back to the very walls of Bursa, praying for reinforcement.

Then, the betrayal. The cowards of the Palatinat renounced their sworn alliance. King Sigfried Augustus's note still exists, displayed today in the Imperial Museum in Wien [1]:

Imperatrix et cher cousine,

Be it known that the Palatinat always observes her obligations. Be it further known, however, that these obligations and this alliance exists to preserve the peace in our beloved Germania, and does not extend to participation in Austria's endless, fruitless battles over worthless deserts in Asia. What heathen chieftan rules the howling wilderness at the headwaters of the Euphrates is of no moment to the Palatinat.

That said, we will, as ever, pray for your victory.

Ave atque vale,
Siegfried Augustus, Koenig im Palatinat

And then, as if to make the disaster complete, a large outbreak of Zwinglism occurred in Wien itself [2], sending the Court into a near-panic.

It was at this moment, this annus horribilis, that Maria-Theresia won her spurs, and her place in history. Barred from riding to battle by the frailty of her gender, beseiged by enemies internal and external, the Empress nevertheless showed the heart of a warrior of Austria. The first step was to address her nobles:

Knights and nobles, ladies and sirs. I will not lie to you -- the situation we are in is serious. Zwinglists openly roam the streets in Wien. The inexhaustable Turkish hordes of Asia have exploded into our lands. We stand abandoned by our allies, while the Slavs, as ever, watch for weakness. And -- dare I mention it? Dare I mention aloud what I overhear in whispers in the halls? That we are doomed, because a woman holds the reins?

The time for whispers is over. I stand before you to tell you exactly how we shall triumph.

First: I have re-forged the Eastern League, with Lithuania and Poland. The Poles know that we hold Konya in the palm of our hands, and that our interests run in parallel. And where Poland goes, so goes Lithuania. The weight of the League will keep Germania quiet. As will the knowledge that this too shall pass. Muenster, Mecklenburg, and the faithless Palatinat know that the Turkish tide will ebb.

Second: The Holy Father has authorized a full Inquisition for Wien. There will be disruption of trade [3], to be sure, but we daren't let this viper coil at the very heart of Austria.

Third: Do not forget, my friends, how vast the resources of the East-Kingdom really are. The new alliance has freed up mobile forces which even now are streaming south.

And finally: We must not give way to fear. Ever. Bad news has piled on bad news, but do not forget the lesson of Daniel. Surrounded by the lions of the East, he emerged unharmed and triumphant in the sight of the Lord. With faith as our beacon, we shall do no less.

All this was delivered in a tone of icy calm, just what was needed to calm the jittery nobles. And then, according to the diaries of Maria-Theresia's lady companion Ginette of Nassau:

"Ladies, Gentlemen, I have no sword to lay at Saint Leopold's feet. My heart is my blade. Yet we live by our symbols, do we not?" With that, she withdrew a bejeweled hair-pin from her coiffure, and gently laid it among the forest of swords in front of the saint's relic. "There is much work to do. Best we were about it."

Maria-Theresia's serenity in the face of crisis quickly settled the Austrians' nerves, and they got down to business.

Of course, no plan survives contact with the enemy. The Qara Qoyunlu proved resilient enemies, their superior mobility counterbalancing the Europeans' heavier shock in close battle. Within a few months the trickle of reinforcments from Austria proper became a river, then a torrent. In the confines of the Aegean littoral the Turks were unable to outmaneuver the K-u-K Armee, and were quickly penned up against natural barriers and slain.

The opposite was the case when the Austrians pushed East into Mesopotamia; unused to the wheel and dash of maneuver on the endless flat plains of the Fertile Crescent, the Osterreichers lost heavily.

But if experience is a bitter tutor, it is a teacher in truth. Gradually the Austrians learned to exploit the vagaries of the local terrain (and not to stray too far from water), and to force battle by threatening targets that the Turks felt compelled to defend. The Qara Qoyunlu, drunk on thier own warrior mystique, learned the hard way that it was a bad idea to engage the K-u-K head-on.

As battle raged, so did diplomacy. It took some time to establish an embassy with these fierce desert Turks, so different from the cosmopolitan Ottomans. The first several deputations were quickly slain for slights they did not know they were making. It would be a mistake to think only soldiers may boast of courage. Eventually, proper diplomatic channels were opened. And the first culture clash became evident. When asked why this war was declared, the Turks were at first perplexed; no-one had ever suggested the notion that there not be a war.

When Empress Maria-Theresia heard about this, she spoke with her closest advisors: Feldmarschal Moritz, Ergstrom Schmidt, and, of course, Thomas Braunfeld. "Gentlemen," she told them, "My diplomats report that these Qara Turks cannot conceive of a reason not to be at war with us. Perhaps we three can dream up some way to convince them otherwise."

Some research brought to light the fact that the Qaras' truce with the Mamelukes had recently expired. A few words in the right ears, certain transfer of funds, and the Qara Qoyunlu had two separate wars to deal with.

The enigmatic Turks were suddenly able to understand the concept of "White Peace", and the senseless war was ended.

= = =

Shortly after that, the Empress was again closeted with her advisors.

"Your Majesty," pleaded Moritz, "You are twenty years old. You simply must marry. The dynasty hangs by a thread." Schmidt nodded soberly.

Even Braunfeld had to agree, though he looked troubled. "Your Majesty, please forgive my forwardness if I say that I have always seen you as the daughter I never had. I would that you find the match that your heart desires. But Austria is your heart, and you are the heart of Austria. You must shoulder this one more duty."

The young Empress frowned. Surely she had known this day would come. "Sirs, I mislike this. Oh, you say true, there must be a new generation of Habsburgs." A sudden smile. "Where would Europe be without us? However ... I do not wish to bring an Empire as a dowry, and submit to some foreigner as a lord-and-husband. Therefore, I have a plan."

The three men leaned in.

"I shall marry Erik of the Palatinat. Specifically, Herren Schmidt und Braunfeld, I shall marry -- and outrank -- the heir of my vassal, Sigfried Augustus."

Schmidt's jaw dropped. Braunfeld cleared his throat, (unnecessarily) adjusted his monocle, and said, "Your Majesty. It pains my aged heart to gainsay you, but I am forced to remind you that Augustus is not, in fact, your vassal. Surely you remember that whole business around the Qara war..."

She waved a slim hand. "Details, Braunfeld. You've always been good with details." She turned to the general. "Moritz!"

"Yours to command." Moritz, forgivably, appeared just a bit smug at the discomfiture of his fellow advisors.

"The wedding will take place in the Hagia Sophia." [4]

Dead silence.

"Gentlemen, I believe you have some work to do. Dismissed."

= = = =

[1] Relatedly, the regalia (crown, scepter, and jewels) of the
Palatinat also exist, and are also displayed in said museum.

[2] That's right ... Wien goes Protestant! The game engine should know
better!

[3] 30% disruption of revenue due to wrong religion. Heh.

[4] The Hagia Sophia, (Church of Holy Wisdom), is, of course, in Constantinople.

TT

Will that marriage actually preserve MT's rule? It seems to me that Sigfried Augustus or at least his son will become Emeperor.

To Heir is Human

GP,

The marriage issue is ... complex. By general practice of the times, Maria-Theresia would be subordinate to her (intended) husband Erik. However, Erik is subject to his father's orders, and if his father is directly sworn to MT as a vassal... You can get one of those munchy dynastic issues which make European history so (ahem) "brisk".

Of course that situation would only hold until Sigfried died, then leaving MT at Erik's mercy (oh no!) Clearly we'll have to do better. Perhaps one of those "prince-consort" deals that present day Prince Philip of England has going with Queen Elizabeth. [1]

The real issue, however, is not so much if MT can escape being oppressed by the domineering Erik. She's quite the spirited girl, and is unlikely to knuckle under to *anyone*. The real *real* issue is whether the children's names end with von Habsburg. That's the undercurrent here.

--Ak

[1] Turns out that in one of the pidgin languages of Papua New Guinea, the locals phraseology for Prince Phillip was "fella bilong missus queen". ;) Not a slam or anything, that's just how they talk. Luckily for all involved, Phil has a good sense of humor.

akaioi said:
She waved a slim hand. "Details, Braunfeld. You've always been good with details."
Why do I think the Palatinate just got itself classified as a "detail"? :D

I liked the line about the "traditional excessive Austrian vengeance expedition".

fb

Merrick,

Thanks for dropping in. I love hearing from people.

I liked the "traditional excessive Austrian vengeance expedition" also... I can just imagine the sergeants stomping around, cigars in mouth, complaining "Jeez, *again*? Didn't we just get back?"

And yes, Thomas always gets these little jobs... ;)

Note ... I mistyped the name of the King of the Palatinate as Siegfried Augustus (it's completely the wrong name, and altogether too close to Siegmund August of Mecklenburg -- yours truly got confused reading handwritten notes), but it's out there now, so it'll have to stay. Phooey.

Next chapter: Young Love!

Coming up real soon!

--Ak

Tu Felix Austria...

[The scene: two sets of two chairs are perhaps 20 feet apart, each illuminated by it's own light. Thomas Braunfeld and King Siegfried Augustus are talking in one area, Prince Erik and Maria-Theresia in another. As curtain rises, the Erik/Maria-Theresia light dims, and their voices become soft, almost inaudible]

Siegfried: Not a chance, Thomas. Not even the Gray Fox can persuade me to sell out my birthright.

Thomas: Your Majesty, Germany must be united. It's coming, you know that.

Siegfried: True enough. But there's still the question of who will unit it. While Austria runs around Asia smiting Turks, Mecklenburg, Muenster, and of course our own Palatinate have been doing something about it. There's even been talk of a tripartite federal Imperium, come to that.

Thomas: [Smiles; Siegfried has walked into a trap] Why settle for a third of an Empire, when you could have the whole thing?

Siegfried: [Narrows eyes] And here I though we were discussing the vassalization of the Palatinate to Austria. [Pauses] Against my better judgement, say more.

Thomas: Sire, you are a King, and the father of a future King. Why not grandfather to an Emperor?

Siegfried: [Paying serious attention now] We don't need a vassalization for that! From what I can tell, my Erik has enjoyed meeting her Grace [1]. We can do a royal marriage without swelling Austria yet further.

Thomas: This is not to benefit Austria -- it's to hamstring Mecklenburg and Muenster by binding our nations irrevocably together. The Palatinate and Austria joined by oaths of blood and fealty will form a united front that the northerners can never pry apart.

Siegfried: Surely a standard alliance would serve?

Thomas: [Gives Siegfried a hard, level look] Your Majesty, perhaps we shall not discuss the "standard alliance" between our nations. [2]

Siegfried: [Looks away] ...

Thomas: The vassalization does not benefit you, but rather Erik. If Austrian and Palatinate foreign policy should ever ... diverge ... you could find yourself at war with your only son. Don't play David to his Absalom [3].

Siegfried: You make sense, Thomas, you do. But I just don't know if I can bend knee to a barely-grown girl.

Thomas: You will, either through death or abdication, give way to your son. This is right and proper, and is the way of things.

Siegfried: Well, yes.

Thomas: Can you do less for your daughter?

Siegfried: [Struck by the thought]

Thomas: Look at them, Sire [motions to the two youngsters, in their dimmed pool of light] They are the future, a united Germany, a marriage of nations and hearts. You and I, we bitter old men, cannot, must not harm them in our creaky pride. Look at them! [4]

[Light and sound dim on the old men, and increase on the young people ... just as their conversation starts becoming audible, it trails off into an uncertain silence]

Erik: [Suddenly shy and not knowing what to say] Er, your Grace ... um, what your hobbies?

Maria-Theresia: [Raises an eyebrow] Oh dear ... do you subscribe to Edelweiss Blossoms?

Erik: [Blushes like a forest fire] It's really quite tasteful.

Maria-Theresia: I'm just teasing you. If not for that whole succession mess I'd be in it too. [Purses lips] Hmm ... my hobbies include needlepoint, Bible study, high-level diplomacy, and ... mothering a warrior race to extirpate Islam. [Now it is Maria-Theresia's turn to blush and be unable to meet the other's gaze]

Erik: [Laughs gaily, dispelling the tension] I've always wondered why they don't have a girl's version.

Maria-Theresia: Oh, but they do, just not printed. We call it the Grapevine. [Sonorously] The Grapevine knows all, sees all!

Erik: Oh yeah, what do they have on dashing Prince Erik?

Maria-Theresia: We know about the Incident of the Cream-Torte and the Duke of Hesse.

Erik: [surprised] Really? I thought I'd covered my tracks pretty well on that.

Maria-Theresia: [Sonorously] The Grapevine knows all --

Maria-Theresia, Erik [together]: -- sees all! [They laugh]

[Voices and lights dim on the youngsters, and focus back in on the older set]

Siegfried: [Has been watching the youngsters, and has a tender expression on his face] Thomas, you're right. I'll do it. [Half to himself] Maybe I should even abdicate in Erik's favor now.

Thomas: [For once unable to go for the jugular] Your Majesty ... no. They're young. Let them enjoy their youth, their marriage, for a few years. If Erik succeeds immediately, they'll be separated more than half the year getting things settled up here. Let this be our final gift to the new generation. [5]

Siegfried: [Moved] Why Thomas, I do believe you are a sentimentalist after all. Alright, I'll give them ... say ... 10 years. They can enjoy things a bit, have some children, then I'll retire in Erik's favor, and we'll do the full amalgamation.

[The youngsters rise, and come over to the older men, hand in hand]

Erik: Father, I have an announcement to make.

Siegfried: [Wryly] Do tell.

Erik: Father, Maria-Theresia and I have decided to get married. I do not care about the diplomatic fallout -- I will see it done!

[Maria-Theresia's eyes glow with admiration]

[Siegfried, Thomas share a look]

Siegfried: [Growling] Are you prepared to defy your sire over this?

Erik: [Stiffly] If necessary.

[Siegfried, Thomas stifle grins]

Siegfried: Very well, I'm sure Thomas and I can work something out.

[CURTAIN]

= = =

Footnotes:

[1] The Palatinaters always refer to Maria-Theresia by her Archducal or Imperial titles ("Your Grace" or "Your Imperial Majesty"), and do not recongize her royal titles as Queen of Hungary and Ionia. This, they believe, establishes parity of rank between the King of the Palatinat and the ruler of Austria.

[2] Thomas is alluding to the Palatinat's betrayal during the Qara war.

[3] From the Book of Samuel. Absalom was the son of King David of Israel, rebelled against his father, and was slain by an overzealous general of David's. Upon learning of his son's death, David said, "O my son Absalom! My son, my son Absalom! If only I had died instead of you -- O Absalom, my son, my son!" (2 Samuel 18:33)

[4] Thomas would like to thank the Academy

[5] It's really a gift from the Paradox development team. @#$@$ 10 years before I can diploannex... ;)

Austriae est imperare orbi universo

Excerpted from "Anguished Ascendance; the Rise of the Kingdom of Austria", by Ingtol Blaeuw

Constantinople! The Second Rome, the Pearl of the East, the City of Men's Desire. This queen among cities, often renamed, twice nearly destroyed and always rebuilt, had no rival in the world. And today that grand municipality would earn itself a new moniker: Blumenberg, the City of Flowers. For its cool marble beauty was now wreathed in a mantle of blossoms, to celebrate the wedding of Maria-Theresia of Austria with Erik of the Palatinate.

Not just flowers bedecked the ancient city, but also people. And what people! Citizens, guests, travellers from all over the known world thronged the city, hoping for a glimpse of the Imperial couple's triumphal procession to the rechristened Hagia Sophia. All sort and manner of humanity was visible, and all displayed their mutually-exotic finery. Stolid Germans, stiff Englishmen, fiery Iberians rubbed shoulders with cloth-wrapped Arabs from the deep desert, and Mongols from the deep steppes. All had come to see the fortune-blessed Archduchess of Austria in her moment of triumph.

And triumph it was, diplomatically, militarily, and -- as rumor had it, she was deeply infatuated with her groom -- personally. The remaining power of the Ottomans had been swept away in a brief campaign. Austrian armies, each larger than that of the Ottoman remnant (little more than a city-state now) had been positioned in Edirne, Silistria, and Bythinia before war was declared. In desperation the final Sultan had lunged for Silistria, only to meet an unheralded death on the green-mantled shores of the Black Sea while Constantinople was invested and quickly taken. The citizens of the World-City had seen the writing on the wall and opened the gates within days. The Ottoman banners were lowered for the final time, and the red-white-red of Oesterreich raised to the glory of Maria-Theresia.

Said worthy, Archduchess, Empress, bride, rode side-by-side with her intended near the front of the cavalcade, escorting the relics of Saint Leopold which were to be installed in honor in the Hagia Sophia. Legend has it that she spoke with her bridegroom, thusly.

"Dear Erik," said she, "are you content?"

"Dearest Maria-Theresia," he is said to have responded, "my cup runneth over."

"Oh, but can you bear the title of Prince-Consort? Can a man born to be King suffer to be ruled?"

And the Prince-Consort looked at the majesty of the new second city of the Empire, the pride and might of the Austrian soldiery all about, and at the Grace-touched beauty of his bride.

"Oh, I suppose I'll manage."

And the two of them laughed.

And so the two of them, hand in hand, went forth into the greatest cathedral of Christendom, to face their destiny.

FIN

Epilogue:

Does history end when the Historian tires, and sets aside his quill? Were these deeds the last mighty efforts of the Habsburgs? Of course not.

But here, gentle readers, this tale, as all tales must, ends. This is the story of the Rise of the East-Kingdom, and what better place to finish it than here, at the end of the Great Crusade, when Austria's position in the world had become near-unassailable. There is no place in this slim volume for the further deeds of Maria-Theresia and Erik. It is not without pain that I omit the further history of that World-shaking couple; who does not know the story of Erik of Austria washing his sword in the Baltic? Who does not know the story of Maria-Theresia's desperate diplomacy in the Papal Restoration Crisis of 1520? But these are tales of Austria's glory, not its rise, and must be recounted elsewhere. This tale ends with the ghosts of Saint Leopold and his most faithful servant, Ladislaus Posthumus, finally, blessedly, going to rest.

= = = = = =

Notes:

Well folks, that's it! Ladislaus' pledge is fulfilled, so I'm ending it here. I hope you, my readers, my legion of Habsburg-watchers, have enjoyed the reading as much as I've enjoyed the writing.

So...

Now what?

I'm prepared to take suggestions for the next AAR! It'll end up being mostly farce. Any takers?

Some possibilities:
* The Carribeonic Knights (actually played ~80 years into this one, may be AAR-worthy)
* Ey! Fangul! (this has got to be Sicily, yes?)
* Huron First
* The Spears of Brittany (please don't make me do this one...)
* Save the Wales

Do let me know!

-Ak

Last edited:
akaioi said:
Well folks, that's it!
And a very fine AAR it was too - well played, well-written and lots of fun to follow.

<tips hat>

As for what comes next, well I like the sound of Huron first or Save the Wales, but then I have a weakness for bad puns.

Congratulations on flattening the Ottomans.

Echoing the love of bad puns, Save the Wales sounds fun.

But I highly recommend The Spears of Brittany, the opportunities are endless. And with a little disclaimer like that, you can't possibly expect us not to suggest it.