• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Also incredibly grateful the game is still getting attention!

Just another idea since you mentioned you'd be looking at morale and gameplay. There's a really great Darkest Hour mod called Nick's multiplayer mod. It tries to tune the wacky DH combat results with a very simple change.

When units move, they either outright lose org or at least don't gain it. The only way to increase org is to sit in one place until it goes back up. Attacking costs org and often moving does too and units obviously retreat when they run out of org.

This simple change means that lightning campaigns become impossible in places with poor infra (because it takes longer to get there = more org burned) even if you have faster units like MOT. It also makes the regular campaigns (like in Poland or France) feel more historical too.

I mean, for the record, this is how it was done in the original HoI2, and one of the changes AoD specifically introduced was to reverse this. DH combat results are wacky because it doesn't have stacking penalty, unlike AoD, not because units regain org while moving.

In my HoI2 experience, this feature was more annoying than anything else, since it would lead to an endless back-and-forth in infra-poor areas since units would run out of org entirely once they arrived there, only to be pushed by instantly by an attack from a nearby province.

I mean, for the record, this is how it was done in the original HoI2, and one of the changes AoD specifically introduced was to reverse this. DH combat results are wacky because it doesn't have stacking penalty, unlike AoD, not because units regain org while moving.

In my HoI2 experience, this feature was more annoying than anything else, since it would lead to an endless back-and-forth in infra-poor areas since units would run out of org entirely once they arrived there, only to be pushed by instantly by an attack from a nearby province.
Totally unrelated to this topic, but you used to make awesome insights in the history forum. Thanks for all the years of interesting discussions!

It's been a long time since I played HOI2 and I don't remember how it worked there, but it's just an idea. Do you know if the 'operational' AI is the same across all the HOI2 games (ie, when the AI has units facing another AI's units, how it decides whether to attack, when to stay still, when to move from one province to another)? In modding, I've only ever seen granularity in things like targeting specific tags, provinces or things like priority for garrisoning beach provinces but nothing about how 'aggressive' they should be in regular frontlines.

The reason it's relevant is because in DH using this mod at least, there's no endless back and forth. It might also be because this mod tweaked the org loss very finely so that they arrive with low but not no org in the infra-poor places and can still defend their gain. I haven't approached it very scientifically of course, but I have observed sometimes there is org loss when moving and sometimes there isn't, but for sure no org gain while moving. So it happens that divs arrive with medium org or low org, depending on how much attacking was necessary to dislodge the defenders.

@Nick3210 is the mod creator and might be willing to share some details of how his amazing mod works!

The pleasure is all mine -- those were good times! :)

I am not very well-versed into AI modding, but as far as I know, there are moddable factors that determine, for instance, what kind of numerical superiority the AI will attempt to reach before attacking and so on. There are definitely quite a few ways to tune AI aggressivity. For instance, in the CORE mod, German AI is insanely aggressive against the USSR (to the point they actually exhaust their manpower pretty quickly in endless assaults).

Regarding the DH mod, I just wanted to bring to attention that the change to org regain during movement was very deliberate by original AoD devs, and that overall, in my opinion, the experience of a DH mod is not necessarily the best way to improve AoD, since combat mechanics in both games are quite different and AoD, overall, is much more advanced in this respect than DH, so I just think caution should be applied to avoid making things worse than they are.

• 1Like
Reactions:
@Nick3210 is the mod creator and might be willing to share some details of how his amazing mod works!
To be honest, you are somewhat mistaken about the mechanics of the Organization in my Mod. I didn't invent something new.

I'm just using exellent old-school Hoi2 mechanics. Because for my taste, the classic Hoi-2 battle mechanics is the best.
I changed nothing in the mechanics of the Organization, compared to vanilla Hoi-2.

But of course I sure that the mechanics of Organisation in Hoi2 is the most correct.
I am shocked that in some other Hoi2-based games the Organization grows o_O while moving. It's completely unrealistic and wrong.
Without a doubt, the Organization during movement of troops should be falling.
At least this has been the case for the last 10,000 years of the history of human Wars. :D

Last edited:
I´m not sure, but I think only retreating units gain org while moving in DH. This prevents units from being pushed back hundreds of km. Of course this has the disadvantages @Amallric has decribed above., esp. in large provinces.