• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Twogs

Major
79 Badges
Jul 9, 2014
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Warlock 2: Wrath of the Nagas
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH
  • Surviving Mars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
Hello everyone,

after reading about all the new mission trees for the next DLC, I am a bit sad (again). I really hoped we finally would get a tall focused mission tree. But sadly not.
The game really lacks a good, AAA (as in: Big one), tall tree. Even Korea, argubly one of the tallest countries in the game, has half its tree dedicated to expansion.

Would have been nice if Korea had two trees akin to what they did with England. One could be a "Goryeo" tree, focused on expansion and the other the "Korea" one, focused on isolation and devovelopment.
Does not even have to be Korea to be honest. There are other candidates that could have a two-tree treatment likes this.

I am of course aware that expansion is the "normal" playstyle in EU4 and most people will play like this most of the time (including me, to be honest).
But it would be nice to be able to play tall with a major nation and not being left with the feeling that you have to "waste" half your mission tree.
But now there is another DLC where none of the mission trees seem to be tall focused. Guess I have to wait for the DLC after this one.

What do you think?

Reactions:
Italy would definitely be a good choice for a tall tree - the region notably never unified until after the end of the timeline, and only a few states even tried to expand outside the peninsula. The current tree is just a "recreate Rome" plan, but playing Italy as a tall, rich, nation protected by alpine forts and a strong navy is a very feasible alternate strategy. Several of the minors even have nice NIs for that - but the tree just doesn't fit that approach at all. Getting a choice between a "Past Glory" (reborn Roman Empire) and "Modernize Italy" (high-dev peninsula, but only passive influence outside).

An interesting addition to such a tree could be the option to enforce extra trade concessions through war, giving massive trade influence in Valencia, Sevilla and Alexandria to increase the value in Venice and Genoa without actually holding any land in the upstream nodes.

Reactions:
Ming has a tall AAA tree.

Ming, literally the biggest empire in the world, being tall?
That's the opposite of tall!

Italy would definitely be a good choice for a tall tree - the region notably never unified until after the end of the timeline, and only a few states even tried to expand outside the peninsula. The current tree is just a "recreate Rome" plan, but playing Italy as a tall, rich, nation protected by alpine forts and a strong navy is a very feasible alternate strategy. Several of the minors even have nice NIs for that - but the tree just doesn't fit that approach at all. Getting a choice between a "Past Glory" (reborn Roman Empire) and "Modernize Italy" (high-dev peninsula, but only passive influence outside).

An interesting addition to such a tree could be the option to enforce extra trade concessions through war, giving massive trade influence in Valencia, Sevilla and Alexandria to increase the value in Venice and Genoa without actually holding any land in the upstream nodes.

Italy would be one of the options I guess, yes. But in the end Paradox would have to decide to make some tall mission trees. Which I, by now, doubt they will.

Reactions:
Ming, literally the biggest empire in the world, being tall?
That's the opposite of tall!
Your topic is about mission trees, not the country itself. Ming mission tree invites you to develop and stabilise your empire rather than expanding it. It is tall, just with a slightly large base.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Your topic is about mission trees, not the country itself. Ming mission tree invites you to develop and stabilise your empire rather than expanding it. It is tall, just with a slightly large base.

"Slightly large base" ... again Ming is literally THE biggest realm in the game. Not "slightly large". The. Biggest. Period.

Ming is the least tall empire in the game.

Reactions:
Does Riga also not count? It is a pretty good one afaik

Reactions:
I get where the OP is coming from. you look at a tree and see how you're expected to conquer lands halfway around the world. But I just want to dominate my region, not all over the world (you might be thinking). This has all occurred to me too.

But there are exceptions. Take Mewar and Mewar Never Changes as an example. All objectives are within northern India, you don't have to conquer Egypt and London, you know? Or even something like Kitara for Victorian Three. This was the pinnacle of tall play. Very small, isolationist and with insanely heavily defended borders. I'm the little yellow one haha and the Kuba/Luba/Kazembe my vassals. I don't recommend this necessarily, as playing like this manages to evade most of what is great about this game. But it's cool to mix it up. But it was a lot of anticipation with nothing happening in the end.

1711545255553.jpeg

• 2Like
Reactions: