• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Actually, I never used an explorer. The Iberians did all the exploring for me. Don't ask me why they never settled. Still, it was very nice of them. I should bring some flowers to the Spanish queen next time my friends and me visit Madrid :)

Oh, did not remember that yes! For Madrid ,yes, but do not forget to take the cannons with you to shoot in honnor of the new continent. :rolleyes: Haven't you used any exploere either? In that case maybe the name of the first governor can be used.

Oh, did not remember that yes! For Madrid ,yes, but do not forget to take the cannons with you to shoot in honnor of the new continent. :rolleyes: Haven't you used any exploere either? In that case maybe the name of the first governor can be used.

I have an alternative in mind, a name that the first RL "French" explorer of the area thought about. I say "French" because he was actually Italian. There is a bridge in NYC that's named after him. And, no, his name was not "Brooklyn" or "Queens" :p

I have an alternative in mind, a name that the first RL "French" explorer of the area thought about. I say "French" because he was actually Italian. There is a bridge in NYC that's named after him. And, no, his name was not "Brooklyn" or "Queens" :p

Giovanni Cavazanno (no idea for the bridge though)?

EDIt :Not that but Giovanni Verrazzanno. :blush: I have read quiet a lot of history regarding France (as I'm half-french) but that one I forgot.

Countries in French are female, right? Just need to know if the prefix should be "nouveaux" or "nouvelle".

Countries in French are female, right? Just need to know if the prefix should be "nouveaux" or "nouvelle".

No, can be both. Le Canada, la France and les États-Unis (the USA) for example. For the name it depends on the ending as for other words. :happy:

Verrazano had "Nova Gallia" in mind. I figured I might translate it into French, but "La Nouvelle Gaule" doesn't sound very good.

Verrazano had "Nova Gallia" in mind. I figured I might translate it into French, but "La Nouvelle Gaule" doesn't sound very good.

Oh, better than "Le Nouveaux-Gaule" as it is la Gaule. It would be correct, it is just up to you.

Any readers out there come up with a better name, I am giving you until 8 o'clock, Sunday evening, CET. So post it, and see your idea in a screenshot.

edited to add: and no, I don't want to see anything like "Monsieur Haricot" :laugh:

edited to add: and no, I don't want to see anything like "Monsieur Haricot" :laugh:

In that case you can add "Madame Baguette" and "Mademoiselle Moustache" to your list. :p

Nouvelle-Espagne (or would that be nouveau?)

To tell the Spanish how their mainland will be in some time :D

I hope to one day show them in person :p

I like Nouvelle-Gaule, but "Outremer" could be another name :)

Checked up on it, and I must say that it's a definite possibility. Thank you for posting.

Why not the months of the French Republican Calendar ?
Like "Floreal" (comes from "fleur" (flower)), "Messidor" (comes for "moisson" (harvest)) or "Thermidor" (or fervidor, from fervidus (scorching)) for a colony like Virginia or Carolina.
And "Frimaire" (from "froid" (cold)), "Brumaire" (from "brume" (fog)) or "Nivôse" (from "neige" or "nivea" (snow) for a colony like Canada, Alaska or Patagonia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_Calendar

Why not the months of the French Republican Calendar ?
Like "Floreal" (comes from "fleur" (flower)), "Messidor" (comes for "moisson" (harvest)) or "Thermidor" (or fervidor, from fervidus (scorching)) for a colony like Virginia or Carolina.
And "Frimaire" (from "froid" (cold)), "Brumaire" (from "brume" (fog)) or "Nivôse" (from "neige" or "nivea" (snow) for a colony like Canada, Alaska or Patagonia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_Republican_Calendar

FRENCH REPUBLICAN?????????????

***shudder***

Begone, thou anarchist :D

Seriously, all good names, except Nivea for obvious reasons :)

La Nouvelle Bretagne
Presqu'Ile-de-France

These ones I like! (he does not control Corsica so that is not really fitting in my opinion)

ok, thank you all for participating. There have been some truly magnificent suggestions all around, but I have made up my mind. I will probably be playing next chapter tonight and/or tomorrow. You will learn the name as soon as the CN is formed.

ok, thank you all for participating. There have been some truly magnificent suggestions all around, but I have made up my mind. I will probably be playing next chapter tonight and/or tomorrow. You will learn the name as soon as the CN is formed.

Perhaps you could reuse the names for a future colonial nation?

just caught up! great AAR. Never played as France.