• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Re: heheh..

Originally posted by AugCaesar
LOL the 1433 map looks like you're trying to spell something on teh world :) starting with C btw..like the AAR :) and big pictures are fun :)

Heh, there's an idea the next time MrT feels like something different, try to conquer provinces in such a way that it spells something!!!

Now then, back on topic, Great AAR!!!! Your Style is fine, and the sequence of screenies was nice as well. Your English is fine, I didn't realise it wasn't your native lang. until you said! (of course, that could be because I've had a 'little' to drink).

MrT: Thanks, you know I take comments and compliments very seriously so without any of these I probably would have stopped. Many thanks for your advices!!

Timmy: Thanks for that. The English I speak is a little higher than average for my age. I don't know why, but I've always tried to learn English, read English books etc. But I do for sure feel grateful.

Finally, my next installment will be up in approximately five minutes.

1439 – 1459

The invasion of England and the Crown of France

Château de Morbihan, 3d January 1439 13.00

It was called ”the meeting-room” by media. There were rumours saying that certain “intercourses” were having place with young maids from far around. Good lord, if it just would be that good! This room was the place where the Duke, Brockhan and the Wise Council had their conversations. And no! They were not having certain “intercourses” with each other. God no! Well, in the middle of the table there stood a long, dark brown table of oak-tree with 10 seats. The Wise Council sat nine of them (one headmaster, four elders and four pupils) while Sir Brockhan sat the 10th, the one right to the green armchair at the very end of the table. This was the seat of the Duke himself, Jean le Sage.
Even though he only was a duke the people worshipped him as their king. Mind you, it had not always been this good. For just a couple of years ago, okay 20 years ago, it was near opposite. Back then there were no “Big Brittany”, “Bretagne rules” or Brittany screws Britain”. Back then Brittany was nothing more than a vassal of England and Duke le Sage’s power was weak, ruling over only three provinces. Just suddenly, an Irishman visited the Duke and showed him the light. After three successful wars, the Irishman Sir Kennedy Brockhan became a national hero and Duke le Sage finally got the respect he was worthy. However, the criticized “Wise Council” who really hadn’t done any good at all, was still there.

“ BAM BAM” the club went. “ORDER” yelled the Duke. “Wow, I’ve always wanted to do that!”.
“Fellow council members, we’ve gathered this day to make a final decision; invasion of England, or not?”
The Duke continued:
“Sir Kennedy Brockhan here is the very brain behind this idea. If it goes as planned we’ll get land from both England and its ally Aragon, securing our position in Iberia and the British Isles. With the help from Sir Brockhan’s friends on Eire we’ll be able to conquer the whole of England. The only problem is our navy. It’s currently 5 warships “strong”. Our spies report that the England-Aragon alliance together have over 70 ships. We’ll need at least 40 ships in the English Channel just to be able to ship over a decent amount of troops. So a minimum gain of 35 ships in 15 years is our goal.

One of the younger members stood up. His name was Günther, a long blonde german with blue eyes. Why he was there or what he did, nobody knew. He was just the type that were “everywhere”.
“What you say is not possible sir, and you must know that! Drinking five glasses of beer in 30 seconds or killing 100.000 jews in a weak may be possible, but what you just said… gee!”

Duke Jean le Sage got flames in his eyes, he drew back his armchair wildly, stood up and started screaming:
“YOU KNOW WHAT WE DO WITH PERSONS LIKE YOU? NO? THEN LET ME GIVE YOU A HINT, SUCKER: STERILISING. YOU KNOW I GOT A VERY SHARP SWORD IN MY SHEATH, YOU WANT TO FEEL THE POWER OF MY SWORD?
“Umm, no sir”
“Then SIT DOWN and SHUT UP!”

Duke le Sage sat down again, continued gently: “Now where were we? Yes, let us hear your plans, sir Brockhan”

The Irishman started:
“To get the funds to such a large navy reformation I’ve promoted tax collectors in many of our core provinces and started a small campaign, that I hope, will attract valuable manpower such as retired fishermen and carpenters (in fact this “navy enthusiasm” got us 15 warships in 10 years). Then, once we get our census taxes and yearly trade income we’ll be able to build 3-4 ships. So in ten years 40-50 ships, with most warships, shouldn’t be hard to fix.”

“Impressing Brockhan, very impressing!” the Duke said and the whole Wise Council agreed, lifting the table “BRRR BOOM”.

The year started with some positive news, Byzantium converted to the one faith, Catholicism. Although I’m very doubtful that Byzantium can stand the Ottoman pressure. Precisely a year later, Hungary that has grown big annexes Wallachia. This must be good for now the darn Ottomans get a tough opponent and hopefully, the province of Wallachia converts to Catholicism. In March 1440 the government of Bremen falls, though we have many revolts, especially in Franche Comté, our situation is quite stabile. In October Ottoman Empire annexes Candar, and they have soon united Turkey. In December our peasants show their unhappiness and while our stability lowers the revolt risk increases. Damn luck I was not fighting BB-wars this time. In May 1441 our land technology reaches second level and we will now be able to upgrade our minimal fortresses to somewhat bigger. Same day we also lose control of the rebellious province Franche Comté to rebel scum. In August Genoa annexes The Knights. How dare they do that? Obviously the don’t know that they border a highly catholic duchy called Brittany. We shall revenge on the behalf of the fighting monks of St John. Later in December a scandal at our court is a fact. The relation to all our neighbours decreases with 10 points.

In 1442 Aragon inherits Naples and it does not take long before they declare war on their new neighbours Genoa. In May we finally capture Franche Comté. In August 29 a very, very tragic thing happens. Our beloved duke Jean IV le Sage dies, without his goal to invade England done. But under his rule Brittany rose from a vassal to a major nation, and maybe the strongest one in Europe that time. The new duke will be Francois I, a greedy son of the Great Duke. I hope he dies soon, or I’ll use him as a marionette, oh I’ using him as a marionette doll already? In November, as a result of Sweden’s cancel of vassalage, Denmark Inherits Norway and the end of the Kalmar Union is a fact. In the end of year 1442 population, basic tax value and manpower quickly rises in the province Artois.

In July 1443 we lose control of the very valuable province Flanders to rebel scum. The same month we also enter a royal marriage with our ally Eire and in August a personal gift is sent to them. Bohemia annexes Holstein in December. Finally, our stability is at the top and through an event (establish cantonments) we get 1+ in manpower. 1444, in April we capture Flanders. Under the following year we build ships and troops and prepare for the invasion of England. In January 1445 a question appears, do we want a new tariff or keep the old one? I pretty like the old one, and that gives us –1 in mercantilism in our policies, which is just fine. In August Mecklenburg is annexed by Austria and in September the Lithuanian province Tver declares independence. I hope Mecklenburg will do that too; a strong Hapsburg Austria is the last thing we want. The 12th same month we happily take Tver into our alliance. If we just would have a border with Lithuania and Poland we would have supported them to the max. In October Castile declares war on Granada. Smells annexation. I was right. In September 1446 they agree to annexation by Castile. In December we adjust our policies to more innovative, this is the last change I will make with that bar, It’s adjusted so that we’ll get 0,40 more colonies and missionaries received each year and only a slightly technology penalty.

In January 1447 we once again keep our old tariff and that makes Brittany even more adjusted to Free Trade, which is nothing but good. Next month England pays 1000 ducats to make them sole defenders of faith. However, they will soon lose a war to us and by that, lose 1000 ducats, which they could have used to build troops and ships. Yes, in September Bourbonnais declares war on England, and it doesn’t take long time before Orleans also does. Both England and its ally Aragon are unable to reach the two new states, so I can take my time to declare war on them, and absorb them into our duchy, while England loses two provinces on the continent.

In January 1448 we reach naval technology 2, and hopefully we will fight better against the English now. In April Hessen annexes its neighbour Münster. In June the 18th we capture Berri and Bourbonnais is annexed. Just two months later Orleans surrender, and they meet the same destiny as their neighbours. Hopefully, they won’t mind. On the 23d January, several troop movements and recruiting of soldiers is done. Also a fleet of 30 warships and 18 galleys stand ready in the English Channel. An army of 24 thousand soldiers (half infantry and half cavalry) are being mobilised in Languedoc for battles against Aragon. The English Invasion is ready to begin and the official declaration of war is sent on the 23d, same day as our fellow soldiers reach the banks of southern England. Haha! You didn’t expect that, did you?

The English Invasion and the taking of Catalonia

On our side, Modena and fellow Eire joined, while Aragon and Navarra joined England. The following days we invade and besiege the provinces of Wessex, Roussillon and Gascogne. In the 10th March also Piemonte that is Aragonese is under siege by our troops. In the 29th June recruitments are shipped over to Kent. Ukraina declares independence from Golden Horde as we lose control to Flandern. Damn rebels. In the 18th December we capture the first province in the war: Gascogne. On Christmas Day recruitments are sent to siege Anglia. Now the English must have some sort of crisis. In the 22 January 1450 Karaman accepts annexation from Ottoman Empire. The army that besieged Gascogne moves onto Béarn where a total 24 thousand English and Aragonese are besieging. Our cavalry army basically slaughters their infantry army. In May we capture Roussillon from Aragon, and the same month a new siege is set up in Wessex as the last army there hurried to assist the army in Kent form annihilation. On the 15th June we capture both Flandern (from rebel scum) and Piemonte. In the middle of the war with several skirmishes and sieges are taking place Francois I dies and the new Duke is his younger brother Pierre II. At least he’s better than Francois was.

The 15th September we capture Anglia, London the very capital of England. Haha, I smell victory, I do. The army in Anglia moves on to besiege Lincoln. In February 1451 we also capture Kent and in April an English army in Bristol is defeated and a siege is set up. In the 14th April the workers in Lyonnais have upgraded the fortress, for free! I calm them down by telling them that the English will not attack Lyon, they are already gone from France, but I thank them for their loyal work. Two days later Wessex surrenders to us, and Cornwall is next to be besieged. In the 22nd April Scotland declares war on Eire, all in the Scottish alliance dishonours their alliance but we are faithful to Eire. What pisses me is that France, ready for annexation, dishonoured the alliance and the war. Three days later the Palatinat joins, but not with Scotland, they join England, Aragon and Navarra. Lucky me, we do have a border with them and once again it start smelling annexation. In 16th of June we hear the sad news that Ottoman Empire has taken the Byzantium capital Konstantinopel, or “Istanbul” as they call it. Don’t worry Pope, When I get down to Balkan I will have my revenge on Ottoman Empire.

The 11lth of June we capture Lincoln and a week later Gerona. Sieges in Yorkshire and Catalonia has been started, our stability increased to max and a new Center of Trade appeared in Thrace. In the 18th November we capture Bristol, and the 3d December it’s Cornwall’s turn. I don’t smell annexation, but my nose does say VICTORY!! The Gaelic province Wales and Midlands are being besieged. In the first February 1452 Golden Horde’s government falls and Crimea is the first nation to declare their independence. Four days later Catalonia is taken by our troops. They move on to the Aragonese capital Saragosa in Aragon. In March a State gift is sent to Eire, hopefully they will become our vassals sometime. In the 26th March a monopoly company is formed which gives me, uhm the Duchy 100 ducats. The same day peace with Aragon is signed and we gain Aragon and Piemonte. Three days later Yorkshire falls to our troops. The 26th July Pfalz from the Palatinat is captured and four days later Midlands. On 2d August the Palatinat accepts our peace offer of annexation, while England rejects it (our peace offer). Wales falls to us on the 24th January 1453 but sill England rejects our offers of peace, well if they want war they shall have war. We order our troops to pillage and slaughter as many English villages they can. After three months of fun pillaging England accepts our peace offer. We gain Gascogne, Cornwall, Wessex and Kent. White peace is automatically signed with Navarra as well.

After these wars we’ve conquered all our core provinces beside Bourgogne and Ile de France. We have driven out the English from France, we have taken over southern England and northern Iberia and made our first step in to the Holy Roman Empire by annexing the Palatinat. Here comes the screenie:

year1453.jpg

Well… on with the story:

The same day when peace was signed with England we entered a royal marriage with our new ally Modena. Eight days later, on the 20th March 1453, Burgundy annexed Luxembourgh (diplomatically). In the beginning of year 1454 our Duke Pierre II gets these abnormal skills, really good skills. I hope it lasts long (excellent minister). On the 1st of April Strassburg declares independence from Aragon, Navarra joins but England dishonours. Same day a white peace is signed with Scotland. Two months later I’ve recruited troops in the are around Paris and when they are all finished and have a strong morale the declaration of war is sent to Paris, France’s capital, and last outpost. Portugal, Castile, Siena and Kleves joined with France. On our side Eire joined while the pathetic Modena dishonoured (in the future they would regret this). France’s army of 75,000 does not scare me. It’s probably only infantry and such a large amount of troops is not good when besieging hostile cities. The same day when the French troops reached Champagne and Artois, Kleves troops started besieging Flandern. If I’m lucky I can gain the rich province Zeeland from Kleves.

In September 1454 a saint performs miracles, giving us a –3 temporary revolt risk. If it just would have worked on nationalism. In October Béarn is besieged by Castilian troops. In February following year white peace is signed with Portugal, 50k troops out of the way. In March Suzdal annexes Tver. Once again Golden Horde’s government falls, this time on the 1st April. Astrakhan declares independence. The next day a white peace is signed with Castile, and also Ile de France falls. The 3d April white peace is signed and also, France is annexed! The next month the Duchy of Brittany becomes the Kingdom of France. But we had to compromise. Pierre II had been doing bad recently, so we agreed to abdicate him and take Charles VII to our throne. But we had one condition: the capital should remain in Nantes, with our Gaelic culture, and so it went. Instead of that beige colour we became light blue (wee ^_^ ) and we got many leaders:

- General Richemont
- Dunois
- The very good leader Gilles de Rais
- The siege expert Jean Bureau (5 in fire value, 3 in siege value, darn if we just would have cannons at this time :D)

In 20th October 1455 heavy troops marched in to Zeeland and started a siege and a month later also Kleves is under siege. On the 3d December, Savoy joins and with their one province it starts smelling annexation. In the start of year 1456 Ottoman Empire annexes Teke, and now they have united Turkey. In the 8th February, already, Gilles de Rais dies. About a half-year later, in August, Castile becomes the sole defender of our faith. My ass! The 6th September peace is signed with Kleves, with France (yes we are la France now) gaining Zeeland and 185 ducats. On 1st May, we get a diplomatic insult from Savoy. Thank you very much! The 1st June, the war is a fact. We wish to not call up Eire; with 2 warships they can’t do much. Castile, Portugal, Kleves and Siena joins. Just 27 days after the outbreak, a white peace is signed with Portugal. Kleves is under siege by French troops. In October we defeat the Castilians in Cantabria and start besieging the city, same thing happens in Savoie. Also a white peace with Siena is signed. In the start of December Kleves falls and they are annexed. In June 1458 also Savoie is captured with the help from our siege expert Bureau (reminds me of some sort of furniture). With Languedoc lost to Castile next month our siege expert is sent there to liberate the province. Same day when a siege is started in Languedoc, Cantabria falls. A month later the Castilian troops in Asturias are defeated and we have started besieging the city. In December, Languedoc is liberated; it took no longer than five months for our siege expert Bureau. Bureau’s army moves on to Leon. Boy, Bureau really is good. The 2d February he initiated the siege and Leon fell on the 4th April. Two freaking months! Well, Bureau moves on to Castilla (Madrid) and now Castile is in great trouble.

The first July 1459 Dunois captures Asturias. And the next day peace is signed, we gain the three most northern provinces: Galicia, Asturias and Cantabria to France.The same day we also annex Savoy. Now we are finally at peace. Three wars have gone, all successful. First the war against England, second against France and we became France too, third against Savoy where we gained important land on Iberia and three provinces deeper into HRE.

year1455.jpg

This screenshot was taken before we took lands from Castile, Kleves and Savoy. I didn't have a screenshot after the takings of the three mentioned nations, well I had one but it would reveal too much about the next installment so I chose this one. Just imagine northern Castile being blue and that Savoy and Kleves don't exist.

Now that looks familiar (though I also got Wales from England that time). :)

At this point in the game, Richemont is actually one of the better leaders around so have fun...Oh, and you're not too far away from getting some explorers. You're also going to love some of those monarchs.

This is the biggest Brittany I've ever seen; and of course now that youre France, world conquest should be easily achievable.

MrT: I hope that World Conquest should be easy, because I'm kind of a beginner. But in the next installment I've changed the skill to Very Hard and I should fight a number of wars there. Also you will notice my fit of rage.

King-Fredrik: I too wanted that beige colour, but what does it stand against dozens of great monarchs, officers, admirals, conquistadors and explorers? And you can get that nice Dutch culture too :).

The next instalment will be up in maximum 10 minutes.

1460-1490

Expansion in the HRE, the British Isles and the Western Mediterranean Sea

With our successful wars and gained land territory our manpower rose, thus making our army support bigger. New recruitments were taking place, and with our new armies we declared war on Burgundy, the last nation in France (except for France). Their other provinces were Holland, Luxembourg, Brabant and they controlled Friesen (which they would later annex). This brought us in to a war versus Mainz, Siena (which we couldn’t reach) and Scotland (which we also couldn’t reach). In September and October 1460 battles were fought and sieges initiated in Brabant, Luxembourg and Mainz. We would leave the Burgundian capital as rebel scum controlled it. The next month white peace was signed with Scotland. In May, 1461 enthusiasm for the navy happened to us, bringing us 5 warships. With our inflation (35%), aristocracy and land policies warships were at the price of 80 ducats each. In other words we got 400 d. In May we also set up a siege in Holland, so now we either besiege or control all of the Burgundian provinces. On the 26th June, Hungary annexed Siebenbürgen (diplomatically). The war continued and finally we captured the first province, Mainz. A week later, the 23d July, Charles VII died and his son Louis XI was chosen as the new king.

On the 5th August, Ottoman Empire annexed Tuscany, what they had there to do, I don’t know. Three months later, in October, we captured Brabant from Burgundy. In the first March in the new year Anhalt defected to Hannover from their former owners Bohemia. In April Ottoman Empire grow even stronger, this time they annex Albania. In the 6th of June we send our offer of peace: total annexation. What could they do, but accept? The 18th of the next month we capture Holland, we also sign white peace with Ragusa, Venice and the Papacy. In the beginning of December Mainz revolts and the darn revolters succeed with persuading the garrison, we lose the control to the province.

In the end of February following year another scandal at the court is a fact. Now all our neighbours must hate us. Same day Austria annexes the revolters of Mecklenburg. In the 17th of April peace is signed with Burgundy and we gain the Dutch provinces Holland and Brabant. Only Gelre and Friesen to go, and then we control all of the Dutch area. Well, know when we are at peace Jean Bureau thinks it’s time to die, and the tragic happening is a fact. In the 12th September 1463 Hungary annexes Croatia (diplomatically), they are getting really big! Well well, now when at peace it’s boring. Most of the time I beat down revolts, appoint tax collectors etc... Until the 2d October, when we declare war on England. We lose 3 in stability (I have no time nor money to send state gifts, enter royal marriage, claim throne and break royal marriage). On our side Eire joins, while Aragon, Navarra and Mantua join. By this time we’ve also built up a quite large Mediterranean fleet of 24 warships and 19 galleys. In Anglia, Bristol, Aragon, Gerona and Navarra forces are defeated and sieges started. Mantua, which we can’t reach, we sign a white peace with in the end of November. In December, a monopoly company is formed which gives me, I mean France 100 ducats.

In February we capture a province, but it’s not English, not Aragonese and not Navarran, no it’s our own province Mainz that was occupied by rebel scum. The 2d April, just a day after Fool’s day we discover Kurdistan and Ak Koyunlu. On the 1st May recruitments from southern England is sent to siege Yorkshire. Just a month later Bristol falls and the troops there move on to besiege Midlands. In the end of August 1464 Aragon falls, Valencia is next. In October also Gerona falls, they move on towards Catalonia while our fleet is winning many battles versus the Aragonese. Same day we get a great reputation, yeah right “hated by the entire world”, which is the opposite of scandal at court. On the 1st December, Yorkshire is captured and a month later Midlands, one month later again Wales surrenders. On the 17th May, Navarra is captured and precisely one month later also Valencia and Lancashire falls to our troops. The same day when Catalonia falls (5th August 1465) we sign peace with Aragon gaining all the provinces, except their capital, we control: Gerona, Catalonia, Valencia and a trading post somewhere on the Arabic Peninsula (Damman). In October the 14th our cities demand old right, more decentralised or stability will lessen by 3. We agree to their filthy demands. Three days later, Northumberland is captured. Now we should finally have a 100% war score. No? What the heck?! Aha! We forgot Lincoln! Well our armies rush to get there and the siege is started in late December.

On the 1st March our stability increases and Saxony declares independence from Bohemia. Our first settlers reach Damman on the 12th same month and establish a colony there. We were lucky, though it’s desert the settlers seem to be happy and the population growth is positive. A state gift is sent to Eire, but a month later when our relations are at 199+ they still reject to become our vassals.

Well, on the 19th June 1466, they give us an offer that we can’t refuse: Meath to Eire, Lancashire, Yorkshire, Bristol, Northumberland, Wales and Lincoln to France. Midlands is the only province England keeps, except for its capital in Anglia. In August colonization attempt in Damman fails, and the cost of some 100 ducats is too high for it to be worthy. A month later enthusiasm for the navy happens us once again. Five warships, built for free in the English Channel. A bit later, on the 25th February 1468 we adjust our policies slightly more to serfdom (lower stability cost, lower production efficiency, lower cost for recruiting infantry, lower land morale). In June our supreme commander Dunois (4/4/4/1) dies. He played a big role in the Castilian war. In August Moldavia is annexed by Ottoman Empire (military) and in October we enter a royal marriage with Aragon (after a state gift). And one too with Eire in June, the next year.

Würzburg, that was in a war versus Papal States got us a casus belli against them so on the 23d February 1469 we sent them a declaration of war. Hessen, Hannover and Würtemburg joined too.

After several battles and sieges we lose control over Mainz to the three province strong Würzburg, that is in September 1469. The first February, we capture Bern from, right, Würzburg. Next to fall is Baden, just the Würzburgian capital left, and Mainz, which they captured. In March 1470 many of our cities want their old rights back. This is war and we have no time for Spanish inquisition-tactics so we must agree to their demands. Just a few days after the cities’ demonstrations we capture Hessen, and now we only have Münster to capture and they will surrender. In August we re-capture Wessex from the darn rebel scum. In the end of year 1470 we celebrate Christmas with the glad news that Hannover has captured Pfalz :rolleyes:. Bavaria also accepted to become vassal of Austria.

In April 1471 Würzburg surrenders to our troops. We would have a 100% war score with them if they hadn’t control Mainz. Well, two months later, however, we capture Münster from Hessen and accept their peace offer of 31d and Münster. The war rages on and the next province to surrender holds out to August 1472, when our own Pfalz falls to our victorious armies. On the 5th March, Lithuania annexes (diplomatically!) Poland (later Poland would revolt, with Warsaw as the new city but Poland didn’t survive till the inherit-event until they got once again annexed). Four days later Bern is captured from Würzburg. I don’t know how we lost it, must have been those darn rebels.

In April 1473 we discover Baluchistan. Totally worthless for our court, no Centres of Trade, no luxury supplies, nothing but desert. Well, just the day after our scouts finally give us some good information. We capture Würtemberg and my nose start smelling some annexation. On the 21st April it’s a fact and they get absorbed in to our… empire! Against their will of course, but seriously, why should we care about their needs? In June we re-capture Navarra from rebel scum. Finally, in August we capture Hannover from Hannover and in November more glad news is brought to our court as we reach Land Tech 3. Most of our neighbours have Land Tech 4-5, but are they as big as us? Noooo! Have they the same, high inflation? Noooo! Bend under the Britt-Franco Empire!

In January the 2d 1474 we finally capture the second province of Hannover, namely Anhalt. We sign peace with them and gain Anhalt and some money, that allows us to also sign peace with the leader of this pathetic alliance; Würzburg. From them we gain Bern, Baden and some ducats, yes 800 (!).

In April Tangiers (Morocco) defects to Castile. Just a few years ago they defected to Morocco from Castile. In June a state gift is sent to Eire. Hopefully they will accept to become our vassals now, despite our BB points. In October we get their answer:

“Fuck you Gaelic wannabe’s, we won’t become your vassals! Screw you Brockhan, you traitor!”

Well, after this short message I planned a way to make it up to them, but this must wait. In the middle of year 1475 many wars break out in Europe, some of them weird, Castile in a war versus Aragon. I hope they know that the king of Aragon also sits on the Castilian throne. In June and July we abandon the plans of vassalising Eire and instead send a state and personal gift to England. Hopefully we’ll get a royal marriage with them. Why? You’ll find out later! First they rejected, but then after a month, they suddenly accepted. Way to go! Castile has changed name to Spain and we have claimed the English throne. CB on England for three years! In the month later we allow an uncooperative philosopher to remain free. Now we have a sweet stability on –2. The day after Aragon became Spanish vassals. And when our cities once again demand old rights we must accept. When our ships in the Mediterranean Sea has finished their loading and set sail for the Balears and Sardinia a Declaration of War is sent to England. The mentioned islands are immediately under siege as well as Anglia and the Midlands in England. Mantua, that also joins, can’t reach us. The Aragonian capital Saragosa is under Spanish control so we don’t have to worry about that. White peace is signed with Mantua. The month later we capture Midlands.

In 1479 our supreme diplomat makes a diplomatic move with England. We get better relations with a nation that is our archenemies and that we are at war with. Well, I blame our superb diplomats! In April we capture Anglia and it doesn’t take more than a month before we also have captured Sardinia. The army there is shipped over to Sicily to besiege Sicily, reinforcements from Provence is shipped over to Messina. In the end of the year our merchants get unhappy, are they having their periods, or what? Well, we lose freaking 200 ducats in our trade research.

The first May 1480 we discover the lands of Uzbek. Very interesting. However, we capture the Baleares in August. In November we get hit by corruption and with our inflation being at 40% we wish to eradicate the problems. It’s a long way to Infra 5 and I’ve researched stability at 85% in five years now. Our techs are not good, I can tell you! Well, Sicily is captured in November and in the end of the month ships ship over troops to besiege Malta. In the 15th January Eire declares war on Scotland, dragging US in to a war, which we don’t really need. Strassburg dishonours, and what’s strange is that we get a CB on Eire, but not on Strassburg. The CB on Eire can be explained by us being sole defenders of our faith (well, you gotta use all that treasury sometime).

In the 1st May 1481 Mecklenburg declares independence from Austria. YES! You wonder what my sadism is all about? When I was Brittany I had no other archenemies than England, but when becoming France I also got the Hapsburgs on my neck. In the 14th June we capture Messina. Now it’s just Malta left and then we can take what is left of England (but its capital) and the islands in the western Mediterranean Sea. On the 13th January, the lucky day, we finally capture Malta. The day later England accepts our peace offer including:

Midlands from England
The Baleares from Aragon
Sardinia from Aragon
Messina from Aragon
Sicily from Aragon
Malta from Aragon

In the next war against England we’ll be able to annex them and secure one of our goals (check my first post to see what the goals are like). I also have monopoly in the western Mediterranean Sea owning Catalonia, the French Riviera and all the islands in the area (not Corsica, but this island would be taken just a few years after this gain). Now we have a war against the Scottish to fight!

In February 1482 Austria once again annexes the rebellious province Mecklenburg. The same day Strathclyde and Lothian are under siege. In May 1483 the first of the two provinces, Lothian, falls. They move on to besiege the Highlands. Sweden rejects our offer of white peace and in the end of August we get a new King, Charles VIII. His skills are decent in diplomacy but really good in administrative and just excellent in military, nearly as good as mine (Kennedy Brockhan’s) in fact!

In the first day of year 1484 Modena declares independence from Aragon. Too bad! In February Poland follows Modena’s example and declares independence from Lithuania (!). In the end of March we decline to appoint an Italian engineer. We just don’t like Italians ;). Two months later, in May, we finally capture Strathclyde. The Grampians are besieged. In January 1485 our monarch has a (temporary I hope) insanity. In the end of June we capture the Highlands, only the Grampians to go and then we’ll have a 100% war score. However, Scotland must have seen that their situation was in crisis and quickly gave us an offer that we couldn’t refuse. We got Strathclyde, The Grampians and The Highlands from them.

In September 1485 a state gift is sent to Spain (this is not the start of a throne-claiming, this is the time when I foresaw the Spanish Succession, as I know that we are going to win the war against Hapsburg, a French is going to be their king and maybe even our vassal, so that’s why I don’t want a war against our future vassal Spain, and maybe enter an alliance… oops! I happened to reveal a bit of the future… Sorry! By the way, this must be the longest parenthesis I’ve ever written. Yes it really is! And it gets longer by I typing more letters, cool, really cool! Just look how big it’s now! Let’s continue typing this paranthesis even longer! No! Let us instead go back to the AAR. That would be much wiser.). In the 9th October we discover the city Samarkand and its rich, relative to Europe’s yet poor ones, Centre of Trade.

After we have collected our census taxes another state gift is sent to Spain on the first day of the year 1486. Because of our good relations Spain also agrees to enter a royal marriage with us, in March the 3d the wedding takes place. A month later we ask them if we could enter their alliance. They say no. We say that we have spent over 500 ducats and the daughter to our king just to enter their alliance. They say that Portugal is the leader of the alliance. Portugal? Fucking small Portugal? GOT DAMN IT!

Two state gifts and one daughter later, in July, we would leave Eire and join Portugal’s alliance. Well, in August we got a Boundary Dispute and of course we decided to press the issue, thus gaining a CB on Strassburg. In April 1487 the government of Timurid Empire fell, only one new state appeared, Persia. In May the declaration of war is sent to Strassburg. In August we gain an unexpected invention, namely a weapon manufactory in Berri. Woho! On the 10th of July Strassburg is captured and three days later annexed. In October the population, manpower and tax value rise in Morbihan.

OOC

The game has been far too easy, with no declarations of war against us. That’s why I after this point change the skill to “Very Hard”. Prepare for war!

November 1488

Brittany is in war with:

- Genoa
- Cologne
- Georgia (why?)
- Gelre
- The Kaliphate (why?)
- Saxony
- Eire (grmpff!!)
- Lithuania
- Cyprus
- Crimea (why?) and Ottoman Empire

We did not call up our allies Spain and Portugal as they would either steal my sieges or dishonour our alliance.

In the 22nd December The Kaliphate invade our Colony in Damman. I’m sure the poor bastards even besieged it. In February 1489 Venice annexed Cyprus (diplomatically). On the 7th November we capture Malta from the Rebel Scum and Sachsen from Saxony. They annexation is a fact on the 19th November. That’s the same day as we capture Lombardia from Genoa. On the first January 1490 we get three leaders. Foix in Lombardia (land), Bidoux on the Irish Sea (navy) and La Palice in Lancashire (land). In April we capture Gelre and they are annexed, only one dutch province left (Friesen). A siege in Liguria is set up. La Palice did not live long, he died on the 22th April, a life as officer in 3 months and 22 days. Offers of white peace are sent to Crimea and the Turks. They reject it of course. However, white peace is signed with Ottoman Empire in October.

Gaaahrr!!! End of a great feud happened to us and we must pay the damn feudal lords a gift of 50 ducats. Our treasury is 48 ducats big, it happened at the end of the month. If I was allowed to continue the month out I wouldn’t be forced to take a loan. Feel my frustration readers.

Well the day after, my rage is out as we capture Köln and annex Cologne. Our reputation sucks already, so I won’t get a worse reputation by not vassalising or demanding money.

Well here is how this instalment ends. Why? Because I forgot the darn save game at mum’s house and now I’m with dad. The next instalment will show you the end of the BB-wars, how war exhaustion combined with unhappiness among the peasantry AND stability at level -3 can make your life on this earth like hell.

Best Regards

Sir Kennedy Brockhan

Last edited:
I want to include this too: I forgot the savegame at mum's, and with that the history log. The only screenshots I brought were images taken 1493 or later. So even the screenshots, which I am an addict of, I forgot. Next time I'm not going to forget this, and you should all know that I stand in the disgrace corner (theoretically :)).

Heck, damn BB-wars!

It’s December 1490. White peace with Crimea is signed. Also peaces with Ottoman Empire and Cologne were signed a few months ago. But the wars still rage on… On the 7th February white peace is signed with the unreachable Georgia. The revolts per month are rising along with the war exhaustion. Now Hessen has decided to join the fun, and with them Würzburg, Bosnia, Hungary and Siena. This smells annexation! Oh yep! More declarations of war arrive to our court on the 4th and 7th March respectively. Bremen (Sweden, Teutonic Order, Scotland – Poland dishonoured) and Brandenburg (Austria, Bavaria, Bohemia, Denmark and Modena) declares war.

In November 1491 we capture Sudeten, a few days later we lose Wurtemberg to Würzburg. On the 6th February 1492 we capture Liguria from Genoa, and three days later they send us an offer of peace. We get Corsica and Lombardia, good deal! In May the building of a Fine Arts Academy is completed in our capital Nantes. Great celebration parties follow after the opening.

In July we liberate Wurttemberg, from Würzburg. Soon enough they will get annexed, I promise! In August white peace is signed with the unreachable Hordes Ak Koyunlu, Uzbek Kaganate, Nogai, Chagatai Kaganate and Golden Horde.

Did I say that Würzburg soon would be out of this planet? On the 8th August they are annexed. Another province of the HRE, to France. On the 26th November we capture the Scottish capital Edinburgh. Scotland does not exist anymore. Only Eire left, and then we own all the Gaelic provinces. On the New Year’s Day we capture Modena, but promptly they reject our annexation! I mean, do they have any choice?

Once again, Mecklenburg declares independence from Austria. Soon enough, the city of Lübeck shall become ours! In May 1493 we capture Oldenburg from Bohemia and in June Bavaria surrenders to our troops. In July we discover Tobolsk, capital of some primitive Siberian Khanate. In September another discovery follows, this time we discover Emba and it’s added to our maps. On the 13th September we capture Anhalt from Hannover. Soon, also they shall be destroyed…

Also, we capture Ansbach in October and the same day peace is signed, France gains Ansbach and cash settlement. In November we sign Peace with Hannover and gain Anhalt. In December Friesland is finally annexed by Burgundy after more than 30 years of war. Also Ragusa declares war, so now we are also at war with Venice and Burgundy (woho!). Well, in March 1494 we capture Schwyz from Austria. In August England declares war on us (Aragon, Eire, Poland). Now we are at war with the entire Europe beside Portugal and Spain.

In November 1494 we capture Firenze from the Turks and Friesen from Burgundy. In March 1495 we sign peace with Austria, gaining Schwyz and Ostmarch. With Bohemia, we gain Moravia and Oldenburg. 4 new provinces in the HRE! In June a status quo is signed with Brandenburg. Finally, in August 1495 we capture London. Our armies march through the city, celebrating and shooting in the air. Now a letter to the English council is sent. With London taken France demands to take the English throne. They laugh at us, sends us a letter “Look in North Africa and you shall see a surprise”.

Hmm… What can they mean? I check our updated maps and note an English province in North Africa. In the middle of the Sahara desert! NOOOOO!!!!!!! I’ve never been so humiliated before! Well, a siege army of 10 thousand infantry is sent via sea to siege the desert province Sahara. No, there is more? After stealing the English maps I note a discovered triangle at the end of some land. Tierra del Fuego? England owns that too? Lucky me it’s only a TP.

In June Austria annexes Brandenburg (diplomatically). In September 1495 a very important to our diplomatically situation happens, Mantua declares independence from Portugal. Portugal is so foolish that she demands Spain, us and the Pope to help her. Spain dishonours, the Pope dishonours, as well as we do. The day after we create a new alliance with Spain. They join all our wars and goes to war with Aragon again, thereby cancelling the vassalization. Portugal entered the Burgundian alliance, thus joined the war against us. We have heard that the Portuguese have very luxurious maps in Lisboa.

In February the Burgundian government falls. We gain Luxembourg and Friesen. Thereby adding the last dutch province to our kingdom, the kingdom of France.

In the last February we let the guilds get more control. Also we capture Bremen and Mecklenburg. They are annexed. Two more provinces in the HRE. In June 1496 the Songhai’an capital Goa is discovered.

In the following years many wars and rebels were won and defeated. Under great time pressure (I’m going on vacation to a Swedish island called Öland for about a week) I must compress the gaming from 1496 to 1507:

In April 1497 we sign peace with England giving us Sahara, Tierra del Fuego and 137 ducats. Next time they shall be annexed. In January 1498 we get a political crisis, with the stability down to -1 and a war exhaustion on +6. 60% of our provinces has some kind of a nationalism revolt risk. In August we capture Liguria, with the rebels owning Rhodes we have a 100% warscore. They agree to become our vassals. In January 1501 we give the Kaliphate our colony on the Arabic Peninsula, thereby ending our wars with them. Also a Centre of Trade opens up in Andalusia.

On the first September we reach land tech 4. In June 1502 we capture Dijon from Burgundy and they are annexed. Finally all of our CB provinces are under the rule of a French king. In July we annex the revolting nation Saxony. In September unhappiness among the peasantry happened to us. Great! Combined with a +8 war exhaustion this generates about 7-8 revolting provinces a month. In February 1503 we sign peace with Denmark gaining Jylland, two Greenland TP’s and a TP’s on Gander. Our first contact with North America.

In March 1503 we capture Lisboa, giving us maps over eastern South America, parts of Africa, China’s capital and the spice islands in Indonesia. In April we sign peace with Portugal gaining several Trading posts in Brazil and Africa. Next war these Trading posts will be troop-building cities and then we can invade the rest of the Portuguese colonies and trading posts in Brazil and Africa.

In September Anglia is captured and finally England is annexed!! In October we sign peace with Bohemia gaining Holstein, Magdeburg, Erz and Sudeten. Also, a colonies in Cape Verde, the two provinces on Greenland and Gander are set up. Genoa cancels our vassalage and declares war. In June 1504 we sign peace with Venice gaining Mantua, Tahiti and some Brazilian trading posts. In October 1505 we sign peace with Hungary gaining Presburg and Carpathia. We gain Napoli, Romagna, Apulia and Marche (all Italian provinces) from Aragon. On the 11th April 1506 we annex Tuscany and sign peace with Austria gaining Vorpommern, Tirol, Steiermark and Presburg. They are left with only Vienna. The Bourbons have won their fight against the Hapsburgs!

In February 1507 a home-made event happens to us. As we own all the Anglosaxon provinces in the world and the throne of England is ours we officially accept the new culture Anglosaxon as our state culture. White peaces or cash settlements were signed with all the other nations that we were in war with. The rebels were fought down and slaughterd. Stability restored and most important of all: war exhaustion reset.

Now I must run! The semester on Öland is calling! Before I go I shall post some screenshots showing our possessions in 1507.

Kennedy Brockhan

screensave36.jpg

Our Brazilian possessions

screensave37.jpg

The Atlantic. You can see our colonies in Newfoundland and Greenland

screensave40.jpg

Our diplomatical view in 1506. No wars. Alliance with Spain and royal marriage with Spain. Temporary Casus Belli on... hm... I can't see what is says :(.

Edit: It says Songhai... Whatever!

Cheers people!

Zowee! That's a heck of a nation you're building and it's only 1500ish. :eek:

Well, at least the Dutch events should begin to make your life a little miserable soon, and there ought to be some WoR coing into play as well.

I'm a little so-so on your home-scripted event to add anglosaxon culture to your nation. It removes quite a bit of the challenge from holding the isles (though, for paractical purposes, it only ties down 30k worth of armies) and you're already getting a huge increase in manpower from owning all those juicy provinces.

Don't make life too easy on yourself or you'll be bored stiff by 1600 with very little to do other than roll over the Americas, colonise like mad, and send hundreds of thousands of infantry to their deaths in the cold steppes of Scandinavia and Russia.

I like that screen shot of all the rebels. At least they can still wreak a little havoc on occasion. :)

Hmm.. Yeah I know. About that event. As England had french culture via owning french provinces I thought it would be wrong to not give France anglosaxon culture if they would own some of England's provinces. But you are right, it's a risk that it can get boring. But imagine if I get stuck in the French revolution, many BB-wars and an unhappiness among peasantry, as they tense to "help" eachother. That would be fun, it would.

And... Scandinavia don't have steppes! I know people that mess around with the names Switzerland and Sweden, but thinking that Sweden should have steppes... :p. 75% of Sweden is forest and the rest are for agriculture. Now I am going on a well-deserved vacation! See y'all!