• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(143927)

Sergeant
3 Badges
Jun 14, 2009
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
I know this issue has been raised before by many people here in PI forums but I didn't want to resurrect a dead thread.

My question is simply how can one legitimately make the Kingdom of Cornwall without modding the game files?

I remember doing it before when the decision to become a Kingdom came as an event..

Does it depend on England/Wales not becoming united?

As for the whole Breton/Welsh culture thing, I'd argue that Cornish should be Cornwall's provincial culture (I've installed Celtic Cultures mod which significantly developed Cornwall, the Picts, Cumbrians et al which gave much desired fluff to gameplay - it's just I wanted to play in Ironman mode and collect achievements!)

It was hard but fun to resurrect a pagan Dumnonia starting from The Old Gods start:

2qvyxsh.jpg

King Ardh, proud Emperor of Dumnonia

nzq15w.jpg

Due to my desire to restore the Paganism of the past, I faced continued revolts by troublesome vassals..

Anyway, I wanted to create this thread to reignite the issue of Cornish culture but more specifically to ask whether its possible for Cornwall to become a kingdom without messing with the gamefiles and/or rendering it impossible to play whilst in Ironman mode.

Hope you can help :D

Customizer DLC lets you change the name of your title. Charlemagne DLC will let you create titular Kingdom/Empire title from your primary title.

I know this issue has been raised before by many people here in PI forums but I didn't want to resurrect a dead thread.

My question is simply how can one legitimately make the Kingdom of Cornwall without modding the game files?

I remember doing it before when the decision to become a Kingdom came as an event..

Does it depend on England/Wales not becoming united?

As for the whole Breton/Welsh culture thing, I'd argue that Cornish should be Cornwall's provincial culture (I've installed Celtic Cultures mod which significantly developed Cornwall, the Picts, Cumbrians et al which gave much desired fluff to gameplay - it's just I wanted to play in Ironman mode and collect achievements!)

It was hard but fun to resurrect a pagan Dumnonia starting from The Old Gods start:

2qvyxsh.jpg

King Ardh, proud Emperor of Dumnonia

nzq15w.jpg

Due to my desire to restore the Paganism of the past, I faced continued revolts by troublesome vassals..

Anyway, I wanted to create this thread to reignite the issue of Cornish culture but more specifically to ask whether its possible for Cornwall to become a kingdom without messing with the gamefiles and/or rendering it impossible to play whilst in Ironman mode.

Hope you can help :D

In the current game, no.

However, once Charlemagne is released, you will be able to turn any duchy into a kingdom and even an empire after that, if you so desire.

To legitimately create the Kingdom of Cornwall:

Purchase Charlemagne DLC. Install, activate it when starting the game.

Make Duchy of Cornwall your primary title.

Gain about 2 more duchies, or satisfy the Realm Size requirement.

Create Kingdom of Cornwall.

Thanks for the responses people. I do definitely remember having Cornwall become a Kingdom and not knowing why it happened. I think I posted a thread on here complaining that its representation was that of the Earl of Cornwall, rather than the traditional flag of St Piran or even the ancient chough..

earlofcorn.png

Hopefully that flag might jolt a few memories, it was probably in an old patch or something and became erased following an update.. Either way, for what its worth I don't think Cornwall should be considered De Jure England or Wales - especially in the Old Gods start. With the Charlemagne DLC taking the game back another 100 years, I feel it becomes inevitable that Cornwall would need some attention. I notice I'm not alone in raising these issues..

Yes, because the only reason to get achievements is just having the achievement show up on your steam profile.

Absolutely nothing to do with the satisfaction of actually earning said achievement. No sirree.
If he earned them in legit way without cheating or using mods making the game easier, what's the problem?

Thanks for the responses people. I do definitely remember having Cornwall become a Kingdom and not knowing why it happened. I think I posted a thread on here complaining that its representation was that of the Earl of Cornwall, rather than the traditional flag of St Piran or even the ancient chough..

View attachment 115899

Hopefully that flag might jolt a few memories, it was probably in an old patch or something and became erased following an update.. Either way, for what its worth I don't think Cornwall should be considered De Jure England or Wales - especially in the Old Gods start. With the Charlemagne DLC taking the game back another 100 years, I feel it becomes inevitable that Cornwall would need some attention. I notice I'm not alone in raising these issues..

I am almost 100 % positive you must have been playing a mod - I've never encountered it at least :)

We never needed cheevos for that :p

Sure, but sometimes having your bragging rights officially acknowledged is nice. But whatever your opinion on achievements is, stuff like SAM (which, although it can be used in a responsible way, still gets abused by a fair number of people) just cheapens them even more.

If he earned them in legit way without cheating or using mods making the game easier, what's the problem?

Ah, my bad. It seemed to me like you were advocating just using SAM to unlock all the achievements.

View attachment 115899

Is it possible that you were an independent Duke, and the game was calling you "king"? Certain cultures, largely in Britain and Scandinavia have independent Dukes titled as Petty Kings.

I think if you are of Breton culture and are duke of Cornwall, you are called King.

Yes, this much I know. It's just in the game in question an event fired which allowed me to 'Establish the Kingdom of Cornwall', and I'm unsure how this happened. As I recall, I had only Cornwall's starting provinces of Cornwall and Exeter but 100 years had elapsed.

My character no longer had the blue ducal wreaths associated with a Duchy but was gold and wore a crown..

To finish, I remember when CK2 was first released (before any of the DLCs, but for the record I have them all :p ha) I asked on their Facebook page whether Cornwall was a Kingdom and someone responded saying it was creatable. As I said, perhaps new patches wiped it. Or maybe through ticking the various DLCs I have installed stops the event from firing.

I've also heard you need at least two duchies to create a kingdom, in Cornwall's case this would be Cornwall itself and Wessex. Although saying that, this could just be an opinion of someone tired of people like me making desiring every local nationalism under the sun to attain Kingdom status.. :p

Yes, this much I know. It's just in the game in question an event fired which allowed me to 'Establish the Kingdom of Cornwall', and I'm unsure how this happened. As I recall, I had only Cornwall's starting provinces of Cornwall and Exeter but 100 years had elapsed.

My character no longer had the blue ducal wreaths associated with a Duchy but was gold and wore a crown..

To finish, I remember when CK2 was first released (before any of the DLCs, but for the record I have them all :p ha) I asked on their Facebook page whether Cornwall was a Kingdom and someone responded saying it was creatable. As I said, perhaps new patches wiped it. Or maybe through ticking the various DLCs I have installed stops the event from firing.

I've also heard you need at least two duchies to create a kingdom, in Cornwall's case this would be Cornwall itself and Wessex. Although saying that, this could just be an opinion of someone tired of people like me making desiring every local nationalism under the sun to attain Kingdom status.. :p

The DLC won't have prevented a kingdom of Cornwall from appearing. It sounds very much like you were using a mod of some sort.
Cornwall starts de jure Wales (at one point I seem to remember Wales and Brittany being a single kingdom - Brythonia, but that didn't last long), and usually drifts into England.

Edit::: This old thread may have the decision or event details you added in?

Last edited:
An easy way to solve this would be if you or someone else had backed up old patch versions of the game, to just check the title finder, and type in "corn"
If Cornwall as a Kingdom existed, even if only creatable by event, it should still show up under the title finder.

full discolsure: i've only been playing since shortly after the Sword of Islam release, so I don't remember, and I'm not even sure how long we've had a title finder.

An easy way to solve this would be if you or someone else had backed up old patch versions of the game, to just check the title finder, and type in "corn"
If Cornwall as a Kingdom existed, even if only creatable by event, it should still show up under the title finder.

full discolsure: i've only been playing since shortly after the Sword of Islam release, so I don't remember, and I'm not even sure how long we've had a title finder.

It's not in landed_titles.txt, whereas other obsolete titles, like d_isles, still clutter it up for compatibility purposes.

You were playing CK2+

Something I'd like to see is a flag customistation ability, so that new kingdoms can have unique flags, or we can change the look of old ones to be more accurate (for example if you form the kingdom of England as a viking, you should not have the three lions as your flag). I'm not sure how old any of the Cornish flags in existence are, so it's probable that the most ancient variants are lost to history. Custom flags would allow us to develop something which we think might have suited the time (pre-duchy).

Last edited: