• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Whats the deal?

Take European ports that can send supply to SE France, multiply by four, this is your capacity for supplying your army. Now look at demand draw for your army, most easily done on the supply depot you have. If demand exceeds port capacity, you have your answer.

This happened historically, and Patton was denied supplies so that 21st army group could take more ports, and add supply capacity. You may need to execute an Operation Market Garden of your own.

That's nice, but its kind of like telling me what color hats they are wearing- it doesn't address the question of whether demand exceeds capacity.

It does beg the question, do you have convoys going to Bordeaux and La Rochelle? Having convoys available is good, having them actually ship material is better. How many ports are being supplied?

Take European ports that can send supply to SE France, multiply by four, this is your capacity for supplying your army. Now look at demand draw for your army, most easily done on the supply depot you have. If demand exceeds port capacity, you have your answer.

This happened historically, and Patton was denied supplies so that 21st army group could take more ports, and add supply capacity. You may need to execute an Operation Market Garden of your own.

"Historically" different areas/armies would receive priority of supplies. They wouldn't be randomly distributed and didn't all originate from D.C.

"Historically" the Allies didn't build harbors as represented in HOI3 either.

This forum is for a game. Games by their very nature will be imperfect representations of the real world.

Historically, things would be different in a lot of ways (like having short range, middle range, and long range fighters). In this game you don't currently decide where the supplies go. Being able to prioritize units for supply may or may not come down the pike.

Regardless, the lack of historical detail one one aspect doesn't mean you can't discuss the historical similarities to some decisions in the game to real decisions made a long time ago.

This forum is for a game. Games by their very nature will be imperfect representations of the real world.

Historically, things would be different in a lot of ways (like having short range, middle range, and long range fighters). In this game you don't currently decide where the supplies go. Being able to prioritize units for supply may or may not come down the pike.

Regardless, the lack of historical detail one one aspect doesn't mean you can't discuss the historical similarities to some decisions in the game to real decisions made a long time ago.

So, you reference history when it suits you and then dismiss it when it doesn't?

There's a word for that.

Sensible? Realistic? Do tell?

I think a good game knows what the game is intended to do, and is good at doing that, other stuff is a distraction at best and the HoI3 weather system at worst.

Wanting everything to be historically accurate is asking for a game so complex it would be impossible.

It would be so cool if we could develop each weapon to specifications, build orders of battle of companies and battalions, but really, what would this game require and could it run on the machines most of us have? What would it cost?

My sense of HoI3 is that they might have erred in being too ambitious, not that they were not ambitious enough. I want a historical game. Both parts. As much history as I can get, but I want a game. The game part means compromises for functionality and playability.

But do tell me the word you were thinking of.

Wanting everything to be historically accurate is asking for a game so complex it would be impossible.

There a word (or maybe it's two) for building points to rail against not actually brought up by the other party.

PS: In this thread, and others, it is you who continuously references "historical" evidence as proof the game is working right.

A common mistake i've noticed, is that some people don't take into consideration the infrastructure. The difference of supplies that can pass through a 10 - 20% Infrastructure province to an 90-100% province is stagering.

So before sending in a huge panzer columns into the desert... think again. :(

My friend in an MP game had a huge chunk of army paralyzed because of this, and I looked at it and he could of easily covered as much ground with way less troops. Since those areas weren't heavily defended.

I guess the model will be tweaked with time, but I guess it's working kinda of ok for now. Although I did have the random province go read for a few days for no reason... weird? Although they didn't matter, I was suprised.

Also, a good thing is to get a high level Army Group Commander, from what I read each skill point gives aproximately 5% supply usage decrease. So think about it!

Cheers,

EDIT: @ CavScout - Look I said 'Kind of OK'. I haven't witnessed any game breaking moment personally. Don't be such a meany! :( ;)

Last edited:
A common mistake i've noticed, is that some people don't take into consideration the infrastructure. The difference of supplies that can pass through a 10 - 20% Infrastructure province to an 90-100% province is stagering.

So before sending in a huge panzer columns into the desert... think again. :(

Who's doing this and complaining about supplies?

The demand does not go over the supply, it just seems in some regions it doesn't get there, plenty of fuel, just not enough supplies.

It might trickle in, 5% just enough to get them to move, then i got them to the region south of bordeaux, and poof! 100% supplies again.

"Historically" different areas/armies would receive priority of supplies. They wouldn't be randomly distributed and didn't all originate from D.C.

"Historically" the Allies didn't build harbors as represented in HOI3 either.

What do you mean "Historically" the Allies didn't build harbors as represented in HoI3? May I direct your attention to the Pacific Theatre, where the Allies tossed up extremely robust port facilities, or heavily expanded those already in service, in a matter of weeks that still exist in regular use today?

In this thread, and others, it is you who continuously references "historical" evidence as proof the game is working right.

I didn't argue the game was working right. I argued that it was possible (the post didn't provide enough information), that is possible that whatever the cause, the player might have been required to make a decision that was, for whatever reason, similar to a real decision.

It is not uncommon in games to get historical results by employing factors not actually behind the actual events.

jesus xmas buddy calm down.

It eventually got barley enough supply to move it, when i moved it one region down, it was fine, now i've hit the same problem in Belgium, its almost liberated but there is ONE region along the entire line that has no supply.

It must be a bug? its plains, its empty, i have plenty o supply for everyone else.

I think its a moot point at the moment on supply (and plenty of other stuff! LOL!). I am just waiting to see what the patch will hold in fixes to the current problems. I can have a fun game from 1936-40 and have had
plenty of practice. Once alot of the bug issues are addressed (please!!) then we can see where the game is
playability wise. Right now both sides agree ('cept for a few sad folk with those white jackets with the reeaaally
long sleves and straps! LOL! just joshin) that there are enough problems with the game to prevent a true playing
of it right now. I see no point in playing it right now and am just putting it aside til i see what PI has to offer
and how much they have listened to folks.

What do you mean "Historically" the Allies didn't build harbors as represented in HoI3? May I direct your attention to the Pacific Theatre, where the Allies tossed up extremely robust port facilities, or heavily expanded those already in service, in a matter of weeks that still exist in regular use today?

I was referring specifically to the European theater but I would be interested in what harbors were built in the Pacific that are/would be represented by harbors in HOI3.

Last edited:
I didn't argue the game was working right. I argued that it was possible (the post didn't provide enough information), that is possible that whatever the cause, the player might have been required to make a decision that was, for whatever reason, similar to a real decision.

It is not uncommon in games to get historical results by employing factors not actually behind the actual events.

Good grief be careful with all that back-pedaling. I’d hate to see you tripping over your own posts.

Where exactly have I argued the game is working right, as opposed to providing a result that might be similar to a historical one? The purpose of the game is to produce a historical feel, but identifying a historical situation isn't the same as arguing that all is sunshine and roses.

Where exactly have I argued the game is working right, as opposed to providing a result that might be similar to a historical one? The purpose of the game is to produce a historical feel, but identifying a historical situation isn't the same as arguing that all is sunshine and roses.

So your position is you were invoking “historical” cases to show supply wasn’t working?