• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(415550)

Recruit
2 Badges
Nov 25, 2011
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
Okay.

I was dumb and did not pay attention to the graphics card requirment. I have an Intel HD Graphics Family card, and cannot support the game. Is there any way around this, aside from the swift shader thing?

Thanks.

I don't quite understand your problem, but are you able to run the game at all? My laptop has no graphics card to speak of, and I had some crashing problems while playing the game. I found that if I turn off the fancy water setting in the game-settings, the game runs much more smoothly.

Sorry if this doesn't help.

I don't quite understand your problem, but are you able to run the game at all? My laptop has no graphics card to speak of, and I had some crashing problems while playing the game. I found that if I turn off the fancy water setting in the game-settings, the game runs much more smoothly.

Sorry if this doesn't help.

Yeah, looking at my post it's pretty unclear.

The game requires either a NVIDIA GeForce Quadro FX 4500 or a ATI Radeon HD 2600 video card. It will not work with an Intel video card, which is what I have. It does not work at all: i.e. it cannot display video at all. I can hear the opening video, but cannot see it, and then it minimizes and won't go back to full screen.

I was wondering if there was a way, via some download or other tweak (other than the SwiftShader demo, unless someone can tell me exactly how to do it) I can bypass this problem.

Maybe a dumb question, but I know very little about these things.

VicII and EUIII DW need a card with support for PixelShader 2.0 or 3.0 and VertexShader 3.0. Some Intel onboard graphic devices meet this requirement (I can play on an Asus EeePC Netbook with Intel GMA 3150), other don't, look here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/hd-graphics-quick-reference-guide/?wapkw=hd Graphics. In this case, the only solution is installing an emulator, SwiftShader, but the game will run VERY slowly...

For advanced discussion about this question, please post with details about your config in the Tech Support, where this thread belongs. Thanks ;)

Regarding this thread belonging to tech support, I failed at locating any subforum whatsoever for Victoria 2 tech support. Perhaps it is hidden somewhere well out of sight? Until I find it, I will continue the discussion here :)

My question is regarding the differing system requirements between EUIII DW and VicII, which are supposed to both use the new improved graphical engine. I guess Victoria 2 uses higher resolution textures and lots of them? Or why does it require more RAM and VRAM to run, even though it uses the same engine? I am wondering whether my laptop with GeForce 320M (256 MB shared VRAM) will be able to run it. EUIII runs beautifully and fast.

VicII and EUIII DW need a card with support for PixelShader 2.0 or 3.0 and VertexShader 3.0. Some Intel onboard graphic devices meet this requirement (I can play on an Asus EeePC Netbook with Intel GMA 3150), other don't, look here: http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/hd-graphics-quick-reference-guide/?wapkw=hd Graphics. In this case, the only solution is installing an emulator, SwiftShader, but the game will run VERY slowly...

For advanced discussion about this question, please post with details about your config in the Tech Support, where this thread belongs. Thanks ;)

Yeah, looking at my post it's pretty unclear.

The game requires either a NVIDIA GeForce Quadro FX 4500 or a ATI Radeon HD 2600 video card. It will not work with an Intel video card, which is what I have. It does not work at all: i.e. it cannot display video at all. I can hear the opening video, but cannot see it, and then it minimizes and won't go back to full screen.

I was wondering if there was a way, via some download or other tweak (other than the SwiftShader demo, unless someone can tell me exactly how to do it) I can bypass this problem.

Maybe a dumb question, but I know very little about these things.

Hi alphagamm36,

Not a dumb question at all, as this things tend to be clear as mud. Which processor do you have that have HD graphics GPU? I'm currently running the game on an i3 processor with HD 2000 GPU, and have not had any problems so far. Not sure if it will help, but might be worth updating the drivers.

E

My question is regarding the differing system requirements between EUIII DW and VicII, which are supposed to both use the new improved graphical engine. I guess Victoria 2 uses higher resolution textures and lots of them? Or why does it require more RAM and VRAM to run, even though it uses the same engine? I am wondering whether my laptop with GeForce 320M (256 MB shared VRAM) will be able to run it. EUIII runs beautifully and fast.

it has more textures etc I believe. I have a feeling it will work fine if divine wind does. You can just try out the V2 demo to make sure it works: http://www.gamershell.com/news_100440.html

Hi alphagamm36,

Not a dumb question at all, as this things tend to be clear as mud. Which processor do you have that have HD graphics GPU? I'm currently running the game on an i3 processor with HD 2000 GPU, and have not had any problems so far. Not sure if it will help, but might be worth updating the drivers.

E

Don E,

I have an i5 processor. Here are all my specs:

PHP:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/25/2011, 09:56:08
       Machine name: 
   Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.110622-1506)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: LENOVO
       System Model: 4177CTO
               BIOS: Default System BIOS
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2540M CPU @ 2.60GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.6GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 3984MB RAM
          Page File: 2262MB used, 5702MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
          Input Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)

---------------
Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
       Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
          Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family
           DAC type: Internal
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0126&SUBSYS_21CE17AA&REV_09
     Display Memory: 1696 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
      Shared Memory: 1632 MB
       Current Mode: 1366 x 768 (32 bit) (60Hz)
       Monitor Name: ThinkPad Display 1366x768
      Monitor Model: unknown
         Monitor Id: LEN40A0
        Native Mode: 1366 x 768(p) (60.033Hz)
        Output Type: Internal
        Driver Name: igdumd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igd10umd64.dll,igdumdx32,igd10umd32,igd10umd32
Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.2321 (English)
     Driver Version: 8.15.10.2321
        DDI Version: 10.1
       Driver Model: WDDM 1.1
  Driver Attributes: Final Retail
   Driver Date/Size: 3/10/2011 22:10:30, 7472128 bytes
        WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp: 
  Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-4266-11CF-0B7D-C401A9C2C535}
          Vendor ID: 0x8086
          Device ID: 0x0126
          SubSys ID: 0x21CE17AA
        Revision ID: 0x0009
 Driver Strong Name: oem27.inf:Intel.Mfg.NTamd64:iSNBM0:8.15.10.2321:pci\ven_8086&dev_0126&subsys_21ce17aa
     Rank Of Driver: 00E60001
        Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C ModeWMV9_C ModeVC1_C

Are you saying that you run V2 on an Intel graphics card? Because if you are, then updating my driver might do the trik.

You need to register your game, Jarouik

Okay, that explains why I have the tech support forum for other games visible :) The only problem with that is that I am unable to ask technical questions on whether the game would work, and I am not willing to buy the game if I am uncertain whether I can play it.

Last edited:
it has more textures etc I believe. I have a feeling it will work fine if divine wind does. You can just try out the V2 demo to make sure it works: http://www.gamershell.com/news_100440.html

Thank you very much, I will try it out. Since I use Macbook Air, I would like to play on Mac OS, but the Victoria 2 Mac version for some reason has even higher requirements, although the Divine Wind requirements are similar on both platforms.

I realize that you are not the ones doing the porting, so I am not asking specifics on the Mac requirements; I just wondered whether it it reasonable to expect Victoria 2 to work well if Divine Wind does.

Thank you very much, I will try it out. Since I use Macbook Air, I would like to play on Mac OS, but the Victoria 2 Mac version for some reason has even higher requirements, although the Divine Wind requirements are similar on both platforms.

I realize that you are not the ones doing the porting, so I am not asking specifics on the Mac requirements; I just wondered whether it it reasonable to expect Victoria 2 to work well if Divine Wind does.

For me, DW runs a little better than V2, but the difference is fairly minimal.

Don E,

I have an i5 processor. Here are all my specs:

<snip>

Are you saying that you run V2 on an Intel graphics card? Because if you are, then updating my driver might do the trik.

Hi Alpha,

Yes, I ripped out the separate graphics card and now run the game on the intergrated intel GPU. Looks like your graphics GPU is even faster and more up to date than mine, so don't see any reason why the hardware would be a limiting factor.

I note that the screen resolution is different than any of the native resolutions for the game, so if you could try with 1024x768 resolution it would be interesting to see if that makes any difference.

E

Hi Alpha,

Yes, I ripped out the separate graphics card and now run the game on the intergrated intel GPU. Looks like your graphics GPU is even faster and more up to date than mine, so don't see any reason why the hardware would be a limiting factor.

I note that the screen resolution is different than any of the native resolutions for the game, so if you could try with 1024x768 resolution it would be interesting to see if that makes any difference.

E

Adjusting the screen resolution didn't help.

It's strange because the screen is generally just a black screen with sound, but if I click on the screen I can see strips of video. It moves along as if it is lagging. I keep clicking and the video keeps playing, only not on the entire screen. If I click on different parts of the screen then video shows up there. About the point the opening video gets to "Victoria," the game minimizes, the mouse becomes a loading icon (from the game, like a pocket watch), and it won't restore. the entire computer doesn't freeze, but I have to end the program manually using task manager.

Does this shed any light on what the issue might be?

Taking out the graphics card is a serious operation when it comes to a laptop, isn't it? I don't want to break my computer.

Adjusting the screen resolution didn't help.

It's strange because the screen is generally just a black screen with sound, but if I click on the screen I can see strips of video. It moves along as if it is lagging. I keep clicking and the video keeps playing, only not on the entire screen. If I click on different parts of the screen then video shows up there. About the point the opening video gets to "Victoria," the game minimizes, the mouse becomes a loading icon (from the game, like a pocket watch), and it won't restore. the entire computer doesn't freeze, but I have to end the program manually using task manager.

Does this shed any light on what the issue might be?

Taking out the graphics card is a serious operation when it comes to a laptop, isn't it? I don't want to break my computer.

Don't worry, there is no discrete graphics card on you machine to take out. The "Intel HD Graphic Card" is in reality an integrated GPU on the main intel processor. No idea why dxdiag always insist on calling it a intel graphics card.

Must admit to being at a loss here. Do you ever get past the intro video? Perhaps it is the bink video player do the intro that is the culprit. Try renaming the movie folder and the intro won't start.

E

Don't worry, there is no discrete graphics card on you machine to take out. The "Intel HD Graphic Card" is in reality an integrated GPU on the main intel processor. No idea why dxdiag always insist on calling it a intel graphics card.

Must admit to being at a loss here. Do you ever get past the intro video? Perhaps it is the bink video player do the intro that is the culprit. Try renaming the movie folder and the intro won't start.

E

Renaming the movie folder (I renamed it "blah," for the record) did make a difference, but not a positive one. It just skipped to the loading icon, with the game window minimized.

I read somewhere that v2 will not work on new Intel graphics cards - mine is new - but will run on older ones. That may account for the problem.

Is it possible to download PixelShader 2.0 or 3.0 or VertexShader 3.0? I did download SwiftShader, but it says it's for commercial use only, so I'm confused. Anyhow, I'm not sure where to put the folder/how to install it.

Thanks.

Is it possible to download PixelShader 2.0 or 3.0 or VertexShader 3.0? I did download SwiftShader, but it says it's for commercial use only, so I'm confused. Anyhow, I'm not sure where to put the folder/how to install it.
SwiftShader is intended to be integrated by the game/application developers. For instance it's licensed by Google and Adobe, but also smaller companies like IMVU. Currently it's not targeted at consumers.

The latest version of SwiftShader can run Magicka, but because Magicka is a .NET/XNA application it does not 'automatically' use SwiftShader when placing the DLL files in the installation folder. It would require some small changes by the Magicka developers to properly use SwiftShader (I verified that it works by forcefully replacing the system DLL, but that's not a recommended approach).