• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The depths of the internet are already reacting to this tragic loss for the people of Sennar and humankind as a whole:

csisennar.jpg

I used to be a count, then I took an arrow in the knee...
and the other knee...
and the shoulder...
and the other shoulder...
and in the <ahem>...
and a few up there...
and a few down there...
in fact, I'm having trouble finding a spot I didn't take an arrow.

Darum's on the Mediterranean coast, just south of Ascalon. Was your army moving through there when you got the event?

So are you able to change the succession laws now to avoid Dionysia's father succeeding? Will Dionysia be exiled to Sennar? What about Genat's diary? Will the Order of Coptic Goat Herders intervene?

Yes, you're right--in the game the army with Tesfaye was in Darum. The game just assumes that where the king is he is ruler, I guess. Regarding the succession questions, Dionysia does inherit Sennar, but she does not need to ever set foot there. Unless she loses her duchy, in which case Sennar would again be the exile of the trampled. As to the diary and the Order, we don't yet know. :)

so intense! Now let's hope she dies before she can change succession laws!

Ahh, but as things now stand, if she dies before succession laws are changed, the other dynasty would inherit all the Zagwe land. In order to avoid that, we need Dionysia to rule for eight more years, be at peace, and I think have no vassals hate her. Given she is a Zagwe, that last condition may be the most difficult to meet.

Why would you want that? If she dies now with the current succession laws, a non-Zagwe inherits everything!

Yep, this is correct.

This could be a blessing in disguise, dynastically speaking. Apart from the empresses legions about to knock on your door

If you are referring to Tesfaye's untimely death, then I agree--it is a blessing. Poor dude needed to die so we could rescue his daughter, hopeless in the clutches of AI think.

And then Sennar will finally get rid of that pest :p

True. :)

I never saw that particular event. Back and to the left... Tesfaye rhymes with JFK. o_O

LOL

Holy shi-... This one has just gotten intense. But, of course, I think you're extremely fortunate this happened when it did. You can fix all the dumb mistakes your daughter made.

Ha!

Yes, the evil AI was making her do all sorts of dumb things. Friends don't let friends rule under the influence of AI... Sorry, that is pretty corny.

act one: white peace
act two: elective monarchy

this shoudlnt be TOO hard to do. if you werent a zagwe. i'd consider converting back to monophsite and hoping on mor elove from your god.

I agree with your strategy. Even if Dionysia could achieve independence, she would be extremely vulnerable in a part of the world with many hostile infidels. White Peace is much better, as long as that Ioanna refrains from asking for titles. What is she thinking?

Perhaps finding a clause in Tesfaye's will legitimizing little Konstantinos? (Save game edit/console trait removal/craft a custom event) Then you could have the daughter assign Sennar to her half-brother.

That's a nice little trick. :) I get a little nervous doing anything under the hood, though. If I tried it I'd probably end up with a ruler with two heads or something.

It's definitely going to be interesting, for the first time we will have a female perspective informing us of the horrible lifestyle of Sennar... thought I doubt the duchess of Armenia will make many journey's to the land of her fathers...

Yes, not unless someone strips her of all her land in the north. Which would be very unlucky and unfortunate. Which means it will probably happen. The Zagwes cannot ever leave Sennar, not for good.

No one willing to step up and be a pretender huh? Are Caesar's sons willing to fight for their tej?

That's true, there should have been some pretenders. Maybe they were too young. Or maybe there weren't any, because it was Elective and Tesfaye owned all the votes. Sorry--I can't remember.

Suspicious accident? I thought with the Byzzies dying in a plot was called "natural causes"...

You're right, because in Byzantium the natural course of things is to be assassinated by your rivals. Hence, "natural causes." :)

This is an amazing, AMAZING After Action Report. You nearly had me fired by making me laugh so much at work (and also, as a side effect, doing no valuable job whatsoever for several hours). It has even inspired me into writing my own AAR. Not nearly as funny as yours, but then you have to give yourself realistic goals. I hope your dynasty survives for many centuries or that, failing that, you make other AARs.
You really should ask Paradox to pay you for the amazing publicity!

Thanks, Ooops--I appreciate it! :) Good luck with your own AAR!

The only thing suspicious about that accident was that it was in broad daylight, Greeks are usually much more careful to hide these things. What was Tesafaye's wife's intrigue again? It shouldn't matter too much now but I'd keep an eye on her if I was you.
Apart from that keep up the good work mate

Thanks! And yes, Tesfaye's widow is definitely someone to keep an eye on. Unfortunately, most of the crew from Sennar should have an eye kept on them too! They are a salty bunch.

Oh man, Count Tesfaye appears to have been struck down with a severe case of Abrupt Arrowitis!

Abrupt Arrowitis--LOL!

The depths of the internet are already reacting to this tragic loss for the people of Sennar and humankind as a whole:

csisennar.jpg

LOL--this is very funny. I love the sunglasses.

...I love you long time.

Thanks! :)

I used to be a count, then I took an arrow in the knee...
and the other knee...
and the shoulder...
and the other shoulder...
and in the <ahem>...
and a few up there...
and a few down there...
in fact, I'm having trouble finding a spot I didn't take an arrow.

LOL. You folks are on a roll!

Here lies the former count of Sennar,
Went hunting in the desert for lions
and found porcupines instead.

:)

Chapter 69

I had a miraculous dream last night. I dreamed that I was Queen Dionysia of Abyssinia, ruling in the ancient castle of Gondar. My domain stretched from the mountainous county of Ankober in the Southwest to a nasty, sandy place called Sennar in the Northwest. In my dream I walked from my throne room in the ancient castle of Gondar to a nearby rock-hewn church of the One-Natured God, to give thanks under the watchful eye of our local saint, Severus of Antioch, physically personified amongst us by the presence of a relic—a knuckle bone from the Unwashed’s own saintly hand. My heart was at peace, my mind was clear, and my body still as I prayed. And then I heard the distant cry of some kind of eagle and instantly knew that it signaled somehow that something was terribly wrong.

I awake as Duchess Dionysia of Armenia, with the knowledge that I am at war with Empress Ioanna the Great—one of the most powerful people in the world—and that my dear father is dead. Spymaster Bagrat had notified me a few days ago that on route to meet his army rushing to my aid, Count Tesfaye of Sennar had perished in some sort of “suspicious accident.” As more details came in, we realized that it was more suspicious and less accidental than originally reported. My father and all of his bodyguards had been riddled with arrows from two directions. It could be bandits, but the bandits in the region tend to rob rather than kill if possible, primarily because arrows are not free.

I am beside myself with grief for my father’s death. While I can certainly appreciate that he was not a model husband, he was always a caring father to me. Yes, he had peculiar ideas about teaching children, including watching the Gelada Baboons for hours on end to learn the fundamentals of many arts and sciences. He felt that civilization had added too much unneeded complications to things. I suppose monogamy was one such unnecessary complication, in his view. But despite these eccentricities, he was a committed father.

That other rebelling Doux to the west must be getting the brunt of the Byzantine forces. Maybe Empress Ioanna will even forget about me over here.

With the demise of my father, the county of Sennar is now added to my demesne with the rest of the (at least temporarily) independent Duchy of Armenia. In a curious coincidence, the other Doux rebelling against Ioanna is the father of the boy that my younger sister is betrothed to marry in a matrimonial marriage. It is looking as though my sister will come out with less land to potentially inherit, as this other rebel Doux, in the heart of Byzantium, has been occupying Ioanna’s attention.

With my father’s death, also, my court has received an enormous influx of strange and disturbing characters. I have to house and feed a bunch of heretics? My chaplain is going to have his hands full converting all of these Monophysites.

Poor guys. They are about to get "Sennarized."

My present court. I can’t help noticing that my father’s court has some great counselors. As much as I am in gratitude for the years of service from my current Armenian counselors, in this time of dire need we cannot afford to play favorites. Ability will be everything, even if it does come from Sennar.

OMG, mercs! Mercs! Yes, mercs! /diabolical laughter

I can add the military of Sennar—such as it is—to my own levies. And of course I can also hire additional mercenaries as needed. There are many local infidel mercenary bands that care more about the fidelity of my gold than the perceived correctness of my religion. I understand that my father had no access to mercenaries in the depths of Africa. That must have been a bit trying. They are so convenient.

Who should I hire? Ramazan ve Emba is a reliable mercanary captain. Very effective in a pinch. Unfortunately, he has a tendency to get a little over enthusiastic in despoiling conquered territory, which is an even worse when you realize that his definition of "conquered territory" includes his client's land that he is supposed to be defending.

Bozan ve Emba is Ramazan's younger brother and desperate to outshine his older sibling. While it can be helpful in keeping their prices competitive--each is always trying to steal the clients of the other on price--Bozan sometimes overbooks his jobs if he needs to to take a client from Ramazan. When this happens, he might disappear suddenly just as you need him. This is not helpful.

Etrek of Yaik is whom I would probably go with, even though the man is constantly boasting and arrogant. Yes, you have 50% more horse archers than any other mercenary companies around; yes that makes you the most force per gold than anyone else; yes, the buff on your gold helmet is very shiny... It all gets very tiresome to appease the demands of his pride.

And Ioan de Belgorod? He is unavailable as his "despoiling conquered territory" included attempting to do so regarding the King of Syria's daughter.

For marshal, I consider Laurentios and Stephanos. With his desire to be marshal, Laurentios would have a slight edge in ability as marshal, but unlike Stephanos he can also step in for spymaster or chaplain if things get bad enough. With this extra flexibility saved in case of emergency, I will instead put Stephanos as Marshal. After I give my decision, I think I hear Laurentios muttering something about the Zagwes as he leaves the room, but I cannot be sure.

Ivan and Demetrios have the same diplomatic abilities, and so either could be chancellor. But while they are both heretics, Demetrios is a zealot and this will sour him towards me. So I will fit Ivan in this role.

This courtier named Artemios is the clear choice for spymaster. I am still a bit angry at Mayor Bagrat anyway, even after a couple of years, ever since I learned that he bungled my marriage. Before I was of age to rule, Bagrat was Regent over the duchy. Being spymaster for so many years, he has never paid much attention to laws or rules; it is his job to get things done without regard for the niceties of the law. So when he was looking for a husband for me, he was delighted that he was able to interest a Doux to betroth his son. Bagrat thought he was virtually doubling the land my dynasty would eventually inherit. But what he failed to understand is that the other Doux was proposing a patrimonial marriage, not a matrimonial one. The mistake was not discovered until I was already married, immediately after turning 16 years of age. Until we figure out and implement some sort of solution, Bagrat has given my dynasty’s holdings away to another dynasty.

I tell Mayor Bagrat of my decision to make Artemios spymaster of Armenia. Despite my lingering anger over the marriage, I cannot really despise Bagrat—both of us are kindly in nature and have always enjoyed the other’s company. He is shaken, but he takes it well. He does beg me to consider this proposal, however: if he can confirm that my father was murdered, and by whom, would I consider reinstating him as the spymaster? Sadly, I promise that I would grant him the position again if he discovers all of this first. In my mind, however, I know this is hopeless, as I was already planning on instructing the gifted Artemios to do the exact same thing. What makes me sad about this, though, is this false hope of Bagrat’s that will be dashed when Artemios accomplishes the goal in a fraction of the time that Bagrat will need. In fact later that day I so instruct Artemios. He readily agrees to make it a top priority, but there is something about his manner that makes me glad that Bagrat is also pursuing the same end. I refrain from mentioned about Bagrat’s activities to Artemios, at least for the present.

You would think she had enough titles. Why try to take mine as well?

Empress Ioanna the Great is not too happy with me. The fact of the matter is that she should not be angry with me, but I should be very angry with her. Just like her father, “the Impaler,” Ioanna has the unfortunate habit of demanding that her subjects relinquish titles to her at her whim. I thought this a low habit when I observed her doing this to other Doux. When she demanded that I give her the Duchy of Armenia, however, it went from a low habit to utterly reprehensible. I flatly refused. Strange as this sounds, when I was observing the Gelada Baboons as a girl, I noticed that the bully never stopped at taking a small amount of food from other baboons. Once successful it would keep returning for more and more. Empress Ioanna is just like this bully baboon, and I chose to resist her up front, when I have all of my lands behind me for support. Perhaps I should not have explained all this about the baboons to Empress Ioanna, for she immediately considered my refusal treason and ordered me to be imprisoned. Through some careful planning on the part of Mayor Bagrat, I managed to escape and raised my levies, forced now to fight for my independence by the predations of my former liege.

Fortunately I have been successful in the early days of this independence war. I send Ivan to Ioanna’s capital to learn how close we are to her surrendering any further claims on my duchy, or at the very least to reaching a White Peace settlement.

I send a message to the lowborn Bishop Lazaros of Erchmiadzin to take his bishopric’s 49 soldiers and advance to the next county to the west. I will station him there as a scout to give me advance warning in case the entire Byzantine imperial army decides to descend upon us. Bishop Lazaros will probably not be too happy at this assignment. While kind and honest, he is slothful and would rather be working in his beloved garden than leading swordsmen and archers into hostile territory. He writes back telling me he is moving west and should arrive in the middle of next month. He also notes that he is ill and asks to be relieved. I ignore this. Since my taking power I have elevated several lowborns to positions of power. While this was from my kindness, the least they could do is perform above and beyond the noble-born to show their merit in these offices.

The city we are sieging is in a county held directly by Empress Ioanna. Looting her holdings will not endear me any further with my former liege, but it will help fund any mercenaries we may need soon.

Oh crap.

I receive dire news. First merchants traveling to the City of Midjnaberd in Ani and then shepherds tending their flocks in the hills and mountains near the Bishopric of Owshank in Karin report that a very large Byzantine army is heading southward next to the Armenian border. They are three times the size of my sieging army, and they are heading for Koloneia, where presumably they will link up with the very small unit stationed there. From there they could head west to attack the other Doux or east to attack me. If the Sennarians arrive and I hire as many mercenaries as sustainably possible, I would have just enough to make it a fair fight. My concern, though, is that this is not the only such Byzantine army. Even if I win, my remaining army would be sapped of strength and an easy victim to another similarly-size Byzantine force. I am now very much hoping that this Byzantine army of 8,000 soldiers is bound west. We shall soon see.

How to learn psychology with baboons... Tesfaye was quite a father.

Problem with divorce is that she already had a child, and I think she cannot even think of murdering him. I really don't know how the Zagwe will survive that, but I admire the author courage to continue this game against all odds. I hope Dionysia will see the light of the one-natured God, it would be too bad if all the monophysites died. They are a little less murderous than orthodox greeks, no?

Leave the child among the baboons and the One Natured God will take care of things, I am sure.

What ever you do don't destroy that army.

Just weaken it until it's useless.

If you destroy it It'll just come back again and again.

QFT. The AI isn't smart enough to reraise the levies. So pound it and then chase it once, and then let the now weakened stack start sieging a few of your castles.

An absolutely beautiful AAR, and I was very glad to find and to read it. Now I just can't wait until the next chapter is released :D I just love it, and your love for game details, and your writing style.

You, sir, have inspired me to try Solomonids in Axum and later Zagwe in my own game, staying monophysite and independent. Well... Zagwes seem really to be a bit cursed *lol* I had a lot of bad luck with them, problems with my marriage policy, and was spending 90% of my time fighting several muslims. I have survived five jihads, and was DoWed by the sunni Caliph about ten times and by Egypt twice, and ended as a biggest realm in the world. (In the meantime Byzantium and the HRE were by the way wiped out by jihads.) But I have a feeling, that after the patch 1.05 it's easier to survive. The Fatimids didn't seem to be too eager to immediately kill me, actually in comparisation with the really nasty sunni muslims they were almost nice and friendly :confused:

In the current situation, the solution is clear. Maybe a divorce, a new marriage, perhaps new children, and for sure the elective succession. In the war you should already have a bit score, and you have to retreat since the enemy army will pursue if you still are in the neighboring province. But a White Peace should not be too difficult. And a good explanation for the reason, although with this "independence" and not the "against the tyranny" CB it should have been an own stupid idea of Dionysia in the game :D What are your Fatimids doing in the meantime?

Thanks again for this beautiful and thrilling story.

Last edited:
Well, since you're a duchess, you can always assign a county to one of the Zagwes to keep playing. I know, give him/her Sennar! It's a wonderful, baboon infested wonderland!

I second this idea, if there is no other way!

Well, since you're a duchess, you can always assign a county to one of the Zagwes to keep playing. I know, give him/her Sennar! It's a wonderful, baboon infested wonderland!

That's a fair point, but all that work must come to something. Will Sennar ever let the Zagwe's go? We can only pray to the one natured God that it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.