• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(34561)

Private
Sep 21, 2004
Is it totally impossible for the player to die? Even if I get run over by an army I always just get wounded and taken prisoner and escape again. Is the death of the player impossible or somewhat a tabu in this game?

You can not die. And that is a good thing because your life as adventurer would be darn short (especially with higher difficulty settings) if you could.

So it is a compromise between realism and game fun. To compensate that the other lords are immortal too and show up with another 80-men-army real soon after being defeated.

Now that I`m writing this, I realize it`s a nice design: An eternal war between immortals. Reminds me of the finish of "Pirates of the Caribbean 1" (the swordfight between Jack Sparrow and Barbossa).

Greetings

Pierre

Stuckenschmidt said:
You can not die. And that is a good thing because your life as adventurer would be darn short (especially with higher difficulty settings) if you could.
Well, I'm not sure I like that compromise too much, but I respect that the developers have made a choice. Personally I think the game is a little too crowded with enemies, but I guess I just have to get more into it to fully enjoy it.

It would be very disappointing to lose a character you have spent a LOOONNNGGG time with
to a stray arrow or the rare unexpected couch lance. Still there have been MODs for earlier versions
that had permanent death…which has been my inspiration for the past eighteen months of continuing
to develop my same character since v.808 to the highest level so when those MODs offering that feature
are ported over to this version and I play that highly developed character and he dies it won’t because he
was too low level and lacked the skills and proficiencies. – Sort of a gladiator retirement plan…for those gladiators
that WASN’T freed by the emperor! ;)

Indiana Jones

I recall back in the day an early PC game featuring Indiana Jones where it was impossible for the avatar to snuff. So M&B is not setting a trend. Its a Game after all. And a good bit of fun!

War Emblem said:
Haha...good one.
I like the system as it is. All the Lords and you are like the Highlander immortals.
Yes i also think it's all right. Their numbers would lower quickly, if they weren't immortal. And the game would be unplayable with "no exit without save" setting turned on because some battles you allways lose.

Whilst it may not be possible for the player to die, getting knocked out during battles will result in significantly higher losses and a hefty party morale penalty.

Also being captured means your entire force is automatically destroyed and you can/will loose items from your inventory, usually armour items.

Native doesn't punish the player enough, but the game is not intended to be a complete experience, merely a platform for player improvement and refinement of tastes to suit.

Hence the release of the excellent modules system, which facilitates player mods of every aspect of the game. Not merely surface trimming or window dressing as with Paradox's games where much remains hard coded etc.

I don't think the native game should be more harsh without an option to it. It is an sandbox game anyway so you just can decide yourself when you think you should have died (or simply do yourself a dice table depending on your party surgeon skill if you think you are not disciplined enough to decide yourself).

But I admit I would like a perma death option (would ask me to be a bit more careful when charging that horse =p)

I think your character shouldn't die just because it takes so long to develop one. They should somehow make a way to kill other lords. If a Lord is stricken down in battle, make a certain probability that they will be killed. To keep a certain balance of power, there should be new lords appearing every once in a while.

I lead a rebellion against the Kingdom of Rhodoks using the claimant to the throne, Lord Kastor of Veluca. I had about 45% of the lords of Rhodoks on my side and the rest of the Rhodoks side. I won the rebellion and all the lords opposing me, including King Gravath were still alive and on my side. King Gravath has now disappeared, but he was there for a while. I was hoping to execute all of my enemies :(. Anyway, after that, I took out the Kherites (or whatever) and noticed that after they had no settlements left, they just went around recruiting Swadian soldiers in small numbers and just sat there. Again I was hoping to execute them or something...

Personally I think the game is a little too crowded with enemies,

Well, I know the dungeons of Tilbaut castle are sure crowded. I figure if I don't sell them back to their kings they can't raise another army against me. But they keep upping their offers, and with my own personal "financial crisis" (20,000 a week payroll) I get sooooo tempted. :)