• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
@ Descartes: you knoiw how to sell it well. Especially the 'Early Roman decisions' sound nice. But wouldn't that mean that you'd start with Romulus as one of your characters? You're getting on the territory of myth here. Not that I don't like it, but I'm quite curious how the game would go if Romulus would produce offspring. :)
I don't mind using myths to fill out the gaps in history. Since we don't have any other names for the Roman kings, I suggest we stick to the traditional list.

1 AUC. Well, I am not optimistic and not pessimistic with that decision. Would, as you say, introduce many new features. The Samnite Wars are one of them. On the other hand, there is the problem that you control (as said) the whole Mediteranean by the year 474 as long as you don't put the triggers in, that are a VERY nice feature.
BUT, I am concerned that it would delay the whole 2.0 version a bit too long. What if you "just" publish the new version without the year 1 feature for now and after that you develop it?
I'd say the period between 1 and 474 AUC is a piece of cake compared to the constant ownership changes during the Punic Wars. I've more or less finished the history files for Italy already, so it's not much a problem really.

This all sounds very good. You have one sold customer.

Also : if you ever need some 3D done for your game, I'm willing to try my hand at it during my spare time. I'm only an amateur though (I worked only for a year in the industry before having my interest sapped out).
http://vincent-fr.deviantart.com/gallery/
Sounds interesting! Your gallery looks very good, and I'm sure there's something you could do for Imperium in the future. :)

- Greek City States getting more titles and unique elements.
Yup. Ephors and double kings for Sparta, prytani and archons for Athens, tyrants for Corinth etc. :)

- Extensive evolution of the Roman military due to reform. Going from generic to the powerful (semi)professional army they would be in the Late Republic.
Agreed. It's very important not to make Rome OP, though.

- Something for the classical city states in regards to the Phalanx etc being improved/changed.
Definitely. The reforms carried out by Philip II for example.

- A slight downtoning of populists and civil wars. I don't mind the occassional civil war but sometimes it's a bit over the top in EU:R.
The Romans did have quite a lot of civil wars, so I'd say it's quite historical with the current balance. I think it makes playing majors a lot more interesting. :)

BTW, I don't think there will be any political parties in Imperium 2.0. As far as I know, the idea of dividing the senate into different parties is rejected by most modern historians (there were some temporary coalitions, though). My idea is to let every character have one personal objective (res privatae) and a political one (res publica) to reflect politics instead.

I guess this means that there won't be any overflowing populist party in the future. ;)

- New national ideas
This is something of a grey zone ATM, I haven't really figured out what to do with the NIs yet. They could be used for sliders, as I showed in one of my updates.

- Improving the Barbarian States. At the least make them less unstable
I don't think one-province tribes should be stronger, but definitely harder to conquer. Tribes defending mountainous regions (such as the Sardi Pelliti) should have a considerable bonus to defense. I guess knowledge of the terrain (a quite important factor) could be represented by a general defense bonus to core provinces.

If you can ignite my passion for Rome admist HOI3, you my very well be called a genius :)
I'll do my best. ;)

Is it just you working on this mod?
Yup, at least for the moment. I've had help from others in the past, and I'll include others as soon as I get a working version of my new map released.

Very exciting! I would love the option from the now dead Rome Enhanced mod to be benevolent (meaning to loot a little), loot alot, or loot all and sell everybody into slavery to a newly conquered territory.

Romans had a lot of Civil Wars? Hmmm yes and no. Depends. They have had 3 big ones i can think in the Republican era. It's mostly the Mid-Late Imperial era that's littered with them. But you have a point. Though sometimes it really is over the top.

Phalanx evolution yep... Macedonia/Hellenistic. (combined arms approach)
But early on too. The nr of ranks/depth and system in place will have benefits too.
Being a Sparta - Rome fan those two appeal most to me. So i'm hoping you'll squeeze in a thing or two for Sparta. (hint hint :D)

NI i agree. I like them. But some are rather useless. It may be interesting to 'lock' some in place for specific societies/nations and make it demanding/hard to shift.

Glad you'll put in things like 2 kings, Tyrants,...

Anyway i'm following this with great interest! Keep it up!
I recently started playing a lot of EU:R again. Vanilla and hotfixes. But i'm eager to see your new Imperium version.

I'd say the late Republican era saw quite a lot of civil wars too, especially in the first century BC. Anyway, I admit you have a point too. The Seleucids, for example, are totally spammed with civil wars in vanilla.

We all have a thing for Sparta, don't we? :p I'm looking forward to the day when I can load a perfectly bug-free game and lead my Spartans to victory against the Messenians, backed up by two kings and a lot of disciplined troops.

What I'd like to know is how you're going to do the greek colonizations. I'm gonna be Captain Obvious for a second here and point out that with the current colonization system, it would be quite impossible. ;)

There won't be any empty provinces in Imperium. My idea is to give colonising nations (Greeks and Phoenicians) national decisions that allow them to colonise coastal provinces owned by small tribes. It will cost a considerable amount of money and manpower, but the reward is an allied town across the sea (which can be quite useful), decreased tyranny and increased ruler popularity. The local tribe will automatically be set at war with the new colony, not losing its core on the province. This means that the mother city has to protect the new colony to make sure it survives. The mother city will suffer from a stability penalty if the colony is lost.
AI nations will also be able to colonise, but they're limited to the cities they founded historically. A human player, on the other hand, can start up a colony anywhere (as long as the province is coastal and owned by a small tribe of course).

Fantastic, Very glad to see you're getting rid of empty provinces, though how much extra work will the computer need to do to play all those extra tribes?

We'll probably see some more lag when the whole Mediterranean region is finished. Still, due to the larger scale, tribes often control a couple of provinces, not just one. This means that the actual number of countries in action at the same time doesn't have to be that high (though much higher than in vanilla of course).
My theory is that characters cause most of the lag in EUR. So I guess I could create a version with less minor character events.

I read somewhere here that you are trying to apply some nations with two
ruling kings. Will this also allow two ruling consuls for Rome as was historically
accurate?
Great job on the mod by the way... ;)

Yep. I'll change the interface to make the ruler less separated from the other government titles and call the first minister second consul. He will be elected by means of an annual event series.

The file at filefront seems to be corrupted, I've downloaded it several times and it fails to unpack at bg_province.xfc file.

1.2 beta that is, I haven't tried 1.12.

Nevermind :p I just read more from the forum, file is useless and mod works without it. (Should repack anyway though, it's misleading people :)

I don't think I'll have to finetune that much. Imperium 2.0 doesn't include any of the planned gameplay changes yet (except for tech), since I've been working on the map and the countries. Since the new patch will probably focus on balance changes, which particularly involves events, decisions and files in the common folder, there will hardly be any conflicting files at all. But you never know! :D I'd love to see some really hardcore changes in the patch. ;)

I don't think I'll have to finetune that much. Imperium 2.0 doesn't include any of the planned gameplay changes yet (except for tech), since I've been working on the map and the countries. Since the new patch will probably focus on balance changes, which particularly involves events, decisions and files in the common folder, there will hardly be any conflicting files at all. But you never know! :D I'd love to see some really hardcore changes in the patch. ;)

That makes 2 of us my friend. ;)
(and about 2 kazillion other Paradoxians)

Subscribed. What mods will be complementary to Imperium? Suggestions?

There's a number of good mods out there, but many of them won't be directly compatible with Imperium. Most of the things included in earlier versions of Imperium will be included at some point, though. This project was a mod collection once, you know. :D