• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
King of Minors said:

It's a mythical beast that occasionally turns up in AAR's . I have no idea who thought it up or in which AAR it first turned up, but I will steal any idea as long as it is silly. I will go one better: a whole Wlak? What would you like? An appearance in an AAR surrounded by beautiful willing maidens? Or something?

Dead William said:
It's a mythical beast that occasionally turns up in AAR's . I have no idea who thought it up or in which AAR it first turned up, but I will steal any idea as long as it is silly. I will go one better: a whole Wlak? What would you like? An appearance in an AAR surrounded by beautiful willing maidens? Or something?
An apearance or two in your AAR of me as a wlak sorrounded by "beautiful willing maidens" is a good idea, this is the offer currently highest in the bidding.

Last edited:
CHAPTER 3, Part 4

1147-1150: Deus Vult!

A couple of months after returning home from Genoa, Robert received a very special guest in his court: Pope Bernhard. The Pontiff was none too impressed with Robert’s actions – abandoning the crusade on Burgos in favour of pursuing the weath of Genoa was not in accordance with the scriptures. Burgos was now owned by the powerful Sheik of Granada. There was only one way to retain the support of the Church. Take Burgos. Now.

To demonstrate his faith to the Church, Robert immediately mobilised all forces in Iberia and began gathering them in Rioja, the eastern neighbour of Burgos. The Pope was pleased.

But then Robert surprised everyone by declaring war on the Sheik of Niebla and marching south to Calatayud. Naples had almost captured Calatayud two years ago, before the French King took control and then soon lost it.

battle_1147.jpg

Robert wanted to join Molina with the rest of the kingdom

On 11 October 1147, Robert’s army arrived in Calatayud. After wiping out all opposition, the siege began. Before the province fell, Robert split up his forces, moving south-west to break a siege in Molina. In Febraury 1148, Calatayud fell to Édouard de Hauteville, Marshal of Sicilly. Delighted to have more of his family ruling in Iberia, Robert then proclaimed Édouard to be the new Duke and Count of Zaragoza.

After suing Niebla for peace, it was time to fulfil his promise to the Pope. After declaring war on the Sheik of Granada, Robert’s army reached Burgos in early June. During the siege of Burgos, the Sheik of Sevilla had arrived in force in Molina. Robert again split up his forces and headed south. On August 8, Burgos fell to Tariq de Hauteville, son of the new Duke of Zaragoza. The Word of God had been obeyed!

But it was not all good news. Six days later, Molina would fall to the Sheik of Sevilla. Robert was unable to get to Molina in time to stop the siege, having been held back in a bloody conflict in neighbouring Valladolid. In a battle that would take over a month, Abdul-Lateef Duke of Sicily was killed, passing the powerful duchy onto his 4-year old son Mahdi.

With the heathens coming in from all directions, Robert needed to reduce his personal demesne in Iberia. In a risky act, he granted the lands of Navarra to William de Hauteville, the great royal marshal. This reduced the number of targets in Iberia, but drastically affected the strength of the army of Naples.

In late January 1150, fortunes finally turned Robert’s way. The Kingdoms of England and Germany declared war on the Iberian heathens. Faced with such force, the heathens wanted peace with Naples. Witout a suitable Marshal, Robert also wanted peace. And so after collecting over 10 000 gold in indemnities, Robert’s crusade was over. Time was needed to regroup. And to find a new marshal.

realm_1150.jpg

Iberia, early 1150. Germany and England have territory in central Iberia. France continually gaining and losing territory all over the place.

i can't say exactly, but from 9 Feb 1148 (just after taking Calatayud) to 2 April 1150 (after taking Burgos but losing Molina) my piety jumped over 8000 points

CHAPTER 3, Part 5

1150-1157: Seven years of peace, three months of death

To assist in the strengthening of his new territory, Robert gave huge sums of money to his Iberian vassals. While the Kingdom of Naples was expanding its influence in southern Europe, other Kingdoms were not so lucky. By 1148, the Kingdom of Norway was finally overrun by Swedish pagans. But the Kingdom would soon return. A few years later, the court of the Kingdom of Sweden would abandon their pagan ways, returning the Kingdom to Christianity. The new King then gave the Norwegian crown to one of his grandsons. The salvation of Scandinavia was underway.

On 29 October 1150 : Mauger Duke of Tejo had a son, named Abdul-Azeem. This new addition to the Tejo court was 4th in line for the independent duchy of Brittany. Before him were 3 boys, all sons of the Duke of Oxford. Unfortunately Abdul-Azeem died befor turning 1, but then his brother Lionel was born. The future addition of Brittany to the Kingdom of Naples was still a possibility.

Meanwhile, the inhabitants of Mallorca had gone heretic! Instead of being a beacon of Christianity in the Mediterranean, it has become clear that the pilgrims to Mallorca want nothing more than to indulge in drunken debauchery. Robert hoped that this situation would change. It couldn’t always be like this on Mallorca, right?

On 7 June 1152, Pope Bernhard passed away. Leopold Archbishop of Aswan, who had for years been the only Christian presence in Egypt, was elected as the new Pope. Robert saw this not only as a great honour for the new pontiff, but for the whole Kingdom. Five years later, the new Pope called a new crusade: the reconquest of Toledo. Robert was still not ready for another crusade.

In mid-1157, Robert decided that it was time to act on the future acquisition of Brittany. The three sons of John Berkeley Duke of Oxford were next in line for the Duke of Brittany. After them were two sons of Mauge de Forez Duke of Tejo. In early June, the eldest son William mysteriously disappeared one foggy morning and was never seen again. Feeling confident after this first assassination, Robert then sent another assassin to Oxford and put into motion a series of events that would lead to the end of an entire family.

Towards the end of June, the middle son George Berkeley escaped a rather poor attempt on his life. So poor that it was clear that the Kingdom of Naples was responsible. The enraged Duke of Oxford decided that if the King wanted his son dead, then he would repay in kind. And so an assassin was sent to the Nile Delta, seeking Robert’s son and heir, Simon the Duke of Damietta.

But Simon was far too good for that. Not only did he survive, but he could identify the implication of the Duke of Oxford. In the three months that followed, a series of assassination attempts would take place both in Oxford and on the Nile Delta. In the end, Simon and his court would emerge unharmed while the House of Berkeley was totally ruined. Not only had Simon killed the two remaining sons of Duke John, but the Duke himself! The Duchy of Oxford was broken, the duchy passed on to someone who had no claims on Brittany. The way was clear for a de Forez Duke of Brittany and the expansion of the Kingdom of Naples into France.

On 23 November 1157, the great King Robert of Naples died peacefully at the age of 56. During his reign he had conquered the heathens of the Nile, added the rich cities of Venice and Genoa to his Kingdom, consolidated his holdings in Iberia and began expanding the Kingdom’s influence in France.

dead_1157.jpg

The King is dead, long live the King!

And in the last months of his life, Robert had inadvertently shown the world that his son and heir Simon was a potent force to be reckoned with. The future of the Kingdom of Naples appeared to be in good hands.

realm_1157a.jpg

Italian posessions of the Kingdom of Naples, November 1157

realm_1157b.jpg

Egyptian posessions of the Kingdom of Naples, November 1157

realm_1157c.jpg

Iberian posessions of the Kingdom of Naples, November 1157
Not shown, county of Thouars in western France

Next: Simon the Shadow

BBBD said:
Excellent work, though that last wife of yours, damn she was UGLY!

Hope the new boy has a hotter piece of A$$.

Well, "pretty is as pretty does, as my Momma used to say". But well played and a bit of luck with the assasinations of the House of Oxford. :D Taken by a country cousin, I take it. Toledo is held by Sevilla? Or some other big Islamic powerhouse?
Good luck on the further expansion of the might of de Hauteville.

BBBD: Here is the new Queen of Naples. A bt more of a looker than her predecessor, but her other vital statistics are even more impressive.
wife_1157.jpg

Dead William: Yes, there was a lot of luck involved in the destruction of the House of Oxford. All I did was kept giving Simon enough cash to send as many assassins as he wanted, and watched all the assassin pop-ups come flying in :) And you're right, the duchy of Oxford went to some cousin.

Toledo is in the hands of the Emir of Sevilla, eternal enemy of the Kingdom of Naples.

Toledo is in the hands of the Emir of Sevilla, eternal enemy of the Kingdom of Naples.[/QUOTE]

It is good to have an enemy. The game turns stale without a bit of a challenge. ;)

Dead William said:
It is good to have an enemy. The game turns stale without a bit of a challenge. ;)

How true. If the Emir of Sevilla were to be vanquished, I'm not too sure how much longer I could be bothered playing. Thankfully the Emir will be keeping Naples busy for a long time yet.

Another update in a few days. Maybe. With this beautiful summer weather, my priorities might be elsewhere :)

Instead of being a beacon of Christianity in the Mediterranean, it has become clear that the pilgrims to Mallorca want nothing more than to indulge in drunken debauchery. Robert hoped that this situation would change. It couldn’t always be like this on Mallorca, right?

:D Nice line. Also, I see Simon's wife is a Rheinfelden. I have a bit of a soft spot for them as the Duchy of Swabia was the first realm I ever played in CK. She's got awesome stats, too, which is a bonus.

rasmus40 said:
Are you sure you didn't mean a few months :p or is the weather still brilliant where you live? I would hate to see this great AAR go down the drain :(

Thanks for the kind words :)

After enjoying some of the summer weather, I had also started a new job - reducing my free time to somewhere slightly less than zero. I'll try get an update done sometime this week

Chapter 4

If the boot fits: Chapter 4
Simon the Shadow

me_1157.jpg
wife_1157.jpg

The new King and Queen of Naples

Only a few months previously, Simon de Hauteville had shown the world that he was not one to be crossed as he almost single-handedly wiped out the Berkeley family of Oxford. In November 1157, the Christian world watched in anticipation as Simon ascended to the throne of Naples. The kingdoms of France and Byzantium were falling over themselves to renew their alliances with the de Hauteville family, both of which were rapidly accepted by the new King. It would appear that Simon was no soldier, and so good relations were vital.

At the time of his ascension, Simon and wife Berta had sired 7 children, 4 of which died in their infancy. This left two infant sons (Humbert, 2 and Osmond, 0) and a daughter, Judith (11).

As his half-brothers Inge and Finn completed their schooling, Simon found suitable brides from the courts of Baden and Anjou before giving them the Egyptian duchies of Damietta and Cairo.

1158-1162: The Kingdom grows, the Empire surges

In early 1158, less than one year after the destruction of the Berkeley family, the old Duke of Brittany died. Lionel de Forez, only surviving son of Mauger Duke of Tejo became Duke of Brittany. Unfortunately, the new Duke was uninterested in pledging allegiance to Naples and preferred to remain an independent duchy, with the hopes of inheriting his father’s considerable lands in Iberia. Lands which the de Hauteville family had fought very hard to conquer and hold away from the infidels of the south.

But with independence comes responsibility. And with responsibility comes danger. The winter of 1158-59 was particularly bitter and the local population of Brittany rose up in anger at their new Duke for failing to adequately provide for his people. One night in January 1159, Lionel Duke of Brittany was brutally lynched by a large mob of his new subjects. And the people rejoiced, for they knew that the new Duke was responsible for their extra hardship during this winter and that life would be much better under the protection of Naples. At least, that’s what somebody told them…

With the ever-so-tragic death of the new Duke of Brittany, the lands passed to his father Mauger Duke of Tejo. The Duchy of Brittany became the latest protectorate of the Kingdom of Naples, and the Iberian lands of the de Forez family were safely under de Hauteville rule. In addition to building upon Naples-held territory in France, the addition of the Duchy of Brittany also brought with it the county of Desmond in southern Ireland. The influence of the Kingdom of Naples now spread from the Red Sea to the Irish Sea.

realm_1159.jpg

Just south of Brittany is the county of Thouars, which we have held since 1141

While the Kingdom of Naples was slowly growing, the Empire of Byzantium was virtually unstoppable. In 1161, the Emperor declared war on the Kingdom of al-Murabitids. By the end of 1162, the broken Kingdom of al-Murabitids would have to pay heavily for peace as the Emperor crowned himself King of both Allepo and Arabia. Simon was pleased that his family has always enjoyed remarkable relations with Byzantium – and if he was at all nervous about the Empire’s rapid expansion, he didn’t show it. But then, Simon wouldn’t let anyone know how he truly felt about anything…

One night in January 1159, Lionel Duke of Brittany was brutally lynched by a large mob of his new subjects. And the people rejoiced, for they knew that the new Duke was responsible for their extra hardship during this winter and that life would be much better under the protection of Naples. At least, that’s what somebody told them…

Not at all suspicious ;)