• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

makaramus

Field Marshal
65 Badges
Apr 17, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Tyranny - Bastards Wound
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Surviving Mars: First Colony Edition
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Imperator: Rome Sign Up
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Crusader Kings III: Royal Edition
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Magicka 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Surviving Mars: Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
my ruler got a saint bloodline , bear no sins, carrying only virtues, emperor of jerusalem(almost outremer) and baptised/crowned by pope
yet pope excomunicating me
fair enought someone must convinced him
paid 800 presitige for forgiveness
MONTH LATER HE DOING THAT AGAIN!
am I doing someting wrong? is it because of jihad I am not defending aganist(shia declared jihad aganist king of sicily for africa)

or is there another reason? or is that a bug?

It's either that you own stuff that belongs to de jure Papacy (Latium) or... well, you're not being on a Crusade or defending against one. It would be pretty helpful if Pope told you the reason of excommunication by himself.

It's either that you own stuff that belongs to de jure Papacy (Latium) or... well, you're not being on a Crusade or defending against one. It would be pretty helpful if Pope told you the reason of excommunication by himself.
I am controling empire of jerusalem, no land in italy under my control and I am in constant combat with heathens! Many times he sent me gifts since he noticed my fight for religion
MY KING CALLED SWORD OF LORD!
there is no crusade
I reverted save back by savescumming to see reason and it appears defending aganist jihad doesnt prevent too... its just because pope's relation with me is too neutral! :D gave him money and he is fine now
but I thought chain excomunication was over :S

The Pope is somewhat fixed, nowhere near as bad as 3.0 though. Although, there are some thing that will make you prone to excommunication.

- Free Investiture. Not letting the Pope pick the bishops gives you a - 30 relations right off the bat.
- Owning Rome/Latium as a Catholic. Unless you vassalized the Pope, the Pope will hate you if you take Rome/Latium away from him.

One other thing that can get you excom is if a vassal hates you. I've had my character excom many times due to some duke hating me. Keep in mind I was virtuous and had no real beef with the Pope. This is where the AI goes insane, and will do it to their overlords. For example, I've seen the king of France constantly getting excom just because of some ambitious duke, even if the king didn't do anything to provoke the Pontiff.

Apart from sending him gifts, you can kiss up to the Pope with both your chaplain AND your chancellor (since he's both a religious figure and a ruler). Those two surely have more crucial tasks to attend to most of the time but that a strategy to keep in mind.

Also, religious heads really love you when you manage to convert many counties to your religion.