I need Help! I'm a Noob! A stinky Noob! I'm a shamed of my self!

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

wildbillhdmax01

Lt. General
129 Badges
Jun 11, 2012
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • BATTLETECH: Flashpoint
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Victoria 3 Sign Up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: By Blood Alone
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • BATTLETECH - Digital Deluxe Edition
  • Island Bound
  • Hearts of Iron 4: Arms Against Tyranny
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Darkest Hour
  • BATTLETECH: Heavy Metal
  • BATTLETECH: Season pass
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Field Marshal
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Steel Division: Normandy 44
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Surviving Mars
  • Steel Division: Normand 44 Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
Hello! I'm new to DH/HOI2 in general. I'm used to playing HOI3, so this is all new and very Foreign to me. I know the basics. IC, production, Org, etc... It is an HOI game after all. I need to know. How to get Italy, and Japan in the Axis. What about Hungary, Bulgaria, and Romania? How should I prepare for the war with France and Poland? What about With Russia? What are the Best Unit combinations? Should I get brigade attachment? Do I need all of the War ships and Convoys being built at start of the game? What about the Forts, and coastal Forts? How should my AirForce be, or Navy?

Also should I play 33 or 36?

I was play as Germany for my 1st game of DH. I had the French held, and annexed all of Poland. I made a mistake of strategic redeployment of my troops to France, only to have the USSR Declare war on me. I didn't sign the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact. (All of Poland Belongs to Germany anyways!) So I failed, I Lost. I quit the game.

Shamefur Dispray! Very Shamefur!

Last edited:
This is what HoI3 does to people.

But to seriously answer your question, the game is heavily event driven, unlike HoI3. You get a ton of events that do the job for you, instead of having to "dynamically" (lol) deal with the situation. So unless I am mistaken, Italy gets into Axis via event, while Japan never gets into the Axis, in order not to break the game (basically Japan would send units to USSR during Barbarossa). I am quite sure the other nations also get into Axis via events.

Now about German strategy, I can't tell you much. Haven't played much of Germany, being an Italy player myself. But the best units for Germany are MOTs, MECs and ARMs. Infantry is imporant too, but the three mentioned types will give you the edge over Allies, especially during early in the war, when you are dealing mostly with INF units (like in Poland). Brigade attachments are amazing cause you can deploy them to already existing units, thus' boosting their stats. I can't really say which one is the best, cause I guess it depends more on the play style.

A big blank on warships and convoys, going to leave that to Germany pr0s.

About forts and coastal forts: From what I know Germany needs little defending if you proceed in a right way. Your border with France already has forts, same for the border with Poland, so I wouldn't be worried about that.

33 or 36? Honestly, It's up to you. If you want more time to prepare, sure go ahead. But if you hate waiting 6 years for the war to begin, take the 36. :D

And about your "mistake". I wouldn't be discouraged at all! You can still defend yourself from the reds, I bet! I'd say keep playing and experimenting yourself. I have learned most of the game mechanics by trial and error (sometimes errors that caused me to lose the game completely). It's a game so have fun and don't call yourself a noob, I guess. You've tried, you've failed but you will succeed.

Always.

(Also, this is my humble opinion on the matters. I am not a Darkest Hour pr0 or anything like that. An average player - that's what I would call myself).

But to seriously answer your question, the game is heavily event driven, unlike HoI3. You get a ton of events that do the job for you, instead of having to "dynamically" (lol) deal with the situation. So unless I am mistaken, Italy gets into Axis via event, while Japan never gets into the Axis, in order not to break the game (basically Japan would send units to USSR during Barbarossa). I am quite sure the other nations also get into Axis via events.

Now about German strategy, I can't tell you much. Haven't played much of Germany, being an Italy player myself. But the best units for Germany are MOTs, MECs and ARMs. Infantry is imporant too, but the three mentioned types will give you the edge over Allies, especially during early in the war, when you are dealing mostly with INF units (like in Poland). Brigade attachments are amazing cause you can deploy them to already existing units, thus' boosting their stats. I can't really say which one is the best, cause I guess it depends more on the play style.

About forts and coastal forts: From what I know Germany needs little defending if you proceed in a right way. Your border with France already has forts, same for the border with Poland, so I wouldn't be worried about that.

33 or 36? Honestly, It's up to you. If you want more time to prepare, sure go ahead. But if you hate waiting 6 years for the war to begin, take the 36. :D

And about your "mistake". I wouldn't be discouraged at all! You can still defend yourself from the reds, I bet! I'd say keep playing and experimenting yourself. I have learned most of the game mechanics by trial and error (sometimes errors that caused me to lose the game completely). It's a game so have fun and don't call yourself a noob, I guess. You've tried, you've failed but you will succeed.

Always.

(Also, this is my humble opinion on the matters. I am not a Darkest Hour pr0 or anything like that. An average player - that's what I would call myself).

Thanks for the reply! I tried to def myself from the Soviets. In a panic I move all of my troops back and gave a little push, and then they steam rolled me.... lol :D

With Germany you need motorized infantry to overrun the Soviet troops and some ARM, MEC is useless because of research time.
The event do the job for you, in 1939 an event will appear that will allow you to negociate with SU and to attack Poland, after you conquer Poland you can give territories to Soviet honoring the pact or no territories for Soviets=war.
Airforce in my opinion is useless but you can create some CAS division with all tech uptaded you can use them when you attack enemy, don't attack them with CAS if you ground force don't attack because they are useless.

Always.

Actually if you play in furious, and if country esclate world, there will be a lot of random wars. And i have seen in many games poland and germany get allience for against USSR.. lol :)

Evans has done all the grunt work for you wildbill, so I'll just tidy up a little around the edges.

DH is, as he says, a heavily event driven game, but the wrinkle it introduces is to cast many of the important events as 'Decisions'. You'll have seen a panel presenting these in the top left of the screen. Each decision becomes available to you when you achieve a set of prerequisites that can also be accessed there. So if you want to bring Italy into the Axis, for example, you'll want to work towards ensuring that the prereqisites required for firing that event sequence are fulfilled. The same applies to Munich, the Anschluss, and bringing some of the other minor nations on board.

Evans is again on target in his assessment of the worth of ARM and MOT, but Soul's point about the limitations of MEC is well worth noting. If you're looking to knock over Russia before the end of 1942 (and who isn't) MOT will be the more worthwhile investment. The most important thing to note about unit construction in DH, though, is that God is on the side of the general with the big battalions. In this game you'll find that over and over again numbers trump quality. You'll want to think twice, therefore, before spending IC on brigades instead of addditional divisions. That said, I do it all the time just because it 'looks' so much better. As far as preferred brigades go you'll want AA to ride alongside your HQs and as much artillery and mobile artillery as you can afford. All the others offer you something, but that thing tends to be useful in more specific circumstances whereas extra guns are almost always handy.

If you're playing Germany, your navy's a luxury until you decide to move into the Western Hemisphere and, surprisingly, so too is the Luftwaffe. Bombers of all varieties are nice to have, but you won't be able to afford them as well as a reasonable FTR or INT force and a Transport or two.

Again, if your playing Germany and once you have your manpower under control, there are more important things than forts demanding your IC. You're either going to win or lose on the strength of your aggressive strategies, and if you need forts to protect yourself you've already lost.

As to start time, 1936 is the more difficult play and 1933 the more intriguing because of the political maneouvring involved. What the hell, try them both and see which best lights your fire.

First thing you should do before starting a game as Germany is to go to C:/games/darkest hour/mods/darkest hour full/db/events

1. Find this part
#########################################
# USSR Great Patriotic War
#########################################
event = {
id = 2007047
random = no
country = SOV
style = 2
picture = "news_paper"

decision = {
OR = {
war = { country = SOV country = GER }
war = { country = SOV country = JAP }
war = { country = SOV country = CHI }
war = { country = SOV country = ENG }
war = { country = SOV country = USA }
war = { country = SOV country = FRA }
}

NOT = { flag = cold_war }
}
decision_trigger = { lost_national = { country = SOV value = 15 } NOT = { flag = cold_war } }
trigger = {
OR = {
AND = {
year = 1942
month = 5 # June
atwar = SOV
}
lost_national = { country = SOV value = 15 }
AND = {
ai = yes
OR = {
war = { country = SOV country = GER }
war = { country = SOV country = JAP }
war = { country = SOV country = CHI }
war = { country = SOV country = ENG }
war = { country = SOV country = USA }
war = { country = SOV country = FRA }
}
}
}
NOT = { flag = cold_war }
}

date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1936 }
offset = 7
deathdate = { day = 29 month = december year = 1990 }

name = fbarb_event8_name
desc = fbarb_event8_desc

action = { trigger = { NOT = { ai = GER } ai = yes difficulty = 3 }

♥ Then take the very bottom part
{ trigger = { NOT = { ai = GER } ai = yes difficulty = 2 }

♥ Put it so that difficulty is 3 or 4 ^

FINAL STEP : Play Germany 1936/ 1933 and enjoy!

You would not see furious Russians retaliate your Barbarosa.