• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2003
Visit site
I am curious. The state of the game is - and Kerberos is clear in this - ah well, lets say kindly "Beta" version. The amount of patches is somewhat "irritating" to me. Dont get me wrong, i like patches and i like many patches.
But many patches in a short time period leaves the question about the "why". Why has Kerberos released a game for which at least 10 pages of patch notes would have been needed to make it half the way from beta to (not shiny) gold status...?

I am very curious about this for my only answer on this is: We have been cheated. Kerberos released a not really working product KNOWINGLY and on full PURPOSE. If not that, they all dont know how to do their job well.... And with them doing it on purpose, knowing the game is far from ready, i ask myself: may it be that we all were supposed to bring in the money they need to go on some more weeks (perhaps months) and to pay their bread and butter before they have to go into insolvency?

Please, dont do a flame war, i am asking a honest meant question, so please stay at topic...

And i would very much like to hear some official statement to my question...

there is an official statement; it's stickied under Putting Things Right on this forum and the Kerberos one. in the Kerberos thread, there is a post from Mecron on the third page explaining the reasons it was released this way in more direct detail.

this seems to be a complaint thread, i believe, and so you might want to consider putting it in the meta-thread for complaints.

This is a copy paste from another thread, but this was my impression:
Agent.nihilist said:
I followed the events very closely while they were occurring and have a rather good grasp on how what happened.
Before launch they had a version of the game that was feature complete(or close, Including Independents, trade, diplomacy) that was having severe crash problems with those features.
They removed the problematic feature for the release version (The version we got at 11PM PST the 28th). On release day the version without these features removed(or with them partially removed, not verifiable) was released to Steam(this is the accidental beta release), they then loaded the release code to steam later that day.

The release version had many bugs related due to the removal of content(asset and reference CTDs are all from this), and was patched up over the next 2 weeks (to where we are now), now they are reimplementing the removed features back into the released code and then bugfixing the complete version. Today we got the first patch for trade, next week we get diplomacy.

My other impression is that they had to launch on their 2nd stated release date(they originally delayed the sep 20th date) or not launch at all for contractual reasons. This side will likely never be clear as NDA for these types of agreements are typically binding for years to decades.

My personal opinion is that as long as Kerberos continues to make a good faith effort to deliver a working product I have not been cheated.

Edit: Here is the thread Anaris is referencing.

No offense TC but this is old news. I think it was apparent by day 2 that the game was released in a Alpha state. And that story about the wrong version being uploaded was a cover story. They ran out of money, and had the choice of release now or never. They chose now. And there are plenty of topics already angry about it.

The shame about it is that they were not honest and didn't just open up payed pre-orders in return for Beta access. Seems like this would have been better than trying to pretend it was a solid product ready to be released.

there is an official statement; it's stickied under Putting Things Right on this forum and the Kerberos one. in the Kerberos thread, there is a post from Mecron on the third page explaining the reasons it was released this way in more direct detail.

this seems to be a complaint thread, i believe, and so you might want to consider putting it in the meta-thread for complaints.

Also could be stated as "We don't care about what you have to say, because the truth hurts. Please kindly post your thoughts in the thread we have specifically designated for stuff we don't want to hear. Thank you."

There is a meta thread and a sticky thread.
Infraction issued and thread closed.
*Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.