• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bolkonskij

Second Lieutenant
9 Badges
Sep 26, 2008
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • 500k Club
I noticed an option named "hunt rebels" in the army view window (clicking on one's own army).

What exactly does it do?

I tried to set my army in a region with a revolt value of 5% to hunt rebels, but I couldn't find it to make a difference? Didn't I give them enough time?

What are the benefits or negative aspects of it?

Running the latest FtG version ...

Aha. Similiar to Anti-Partisan-Duty in Hearts of Iron? (protecting neighbouring provinces too?)

Thanks

They will only protect your provinces, if that's what you're asking. I don't know what anti-partisan duty in HOI does.

Ok, I'm sorry. I should have better described what I meant instead of referencing HOI.

From what you wrote, I understand it essentially puts armies on "sentry" and engage any revolutionaries appearing in any adjacent and own by the player neighboring province?

Ah, I see now what you meant by neighboring. I thought you referred to neighboring friendly countries.

In FTG, armies with "hunt rebels" turned on will march as far as they have to to find rebels, as long as they never have to cross into another country. If you're playing France and have an army in Provence hunting rebels, they will happily head all the way to Calais if it revolts. But they will not venture into an independent Brittany, even if Brittany is a vassal. You would have to manually control them if you want to help your vassal fight rebels.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Does the "march as far as they have to" principle work the same way for navies hunting pirates? And for both armies and navies, do the units keep the same destination if new rebels or pirates appear closer to their current location, or if another set of hunters gets there first?

Does the "march as far as they have to" principle work the same way for navies hunting pirates? And for both armies and navies, do the units keep the same destination if new rebels or pirates appear closer to their current location, or if another set of hunters gets there first?
Navies will stay in whatever region they were given the order. Yes, new rebels or pirates may take priority. Then again, rebels that are nearly finished with a siege may still be the priority over new rebels. And yes, hunters recheck their destination if a friendly siege or battle is won.

Navies will stay in whatever region they were given the order. Yes, new rebels or pirates may take priority. Then again, rebels that are nearly finished with a siege may still be the priority over new rebels. And yes, hunters recheck their destination if a friendly siege or battle is won.

Wow, that's incredible. I had no idea the feature had so much intelligence built in. Do you ever sleep?

It's not as intelligent as a human would be; two hunting armies do not have the ability to coordinate to take down a larger rebel force, and hunting armies can't build reinforcements for themselves. But it takes some of the burden off you.

I think this feature has been in the 1.3 betas for around 10 years, give or take.

Just wanted to say again how impressed I am with the Hunt Pirates option. I hadn't used it before this discussion because I hadn't expected it to be as intelligent as it is. I've been using it now and it works very well. Ships stay in the region, return to port after defeating pirates or after losing, then resume hunting after morale recovers. Really excellent implementation.

• 2Like
Reactions: