• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Belial_p

Corporal
5 Badges
Apr 13, 2008
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • 500k Club
Hi there,

After a long leave (mostly due to Paradox making other excellent games :)), I felt the need to return to MaB.

So I started a new game and I wanted to be able to found my own Kingdom from scratch.

I never tried that before. Usually I gave up my campaigns because I was owning half of my liege's kingdom and all lords were constantly changing allegiance. And mostly my leadership was way too low. So rebelling was very unseasy.

So here I am with my lvl 20 char and its usual band of heroes and Swadian knights, grinding sea raiders and tournies. Trying to up my party size to something worthy of a king (the lad can only lead about 100 men by now) ^^

Its a long (and rather boring) way and I wondered if accepting one of those mercenary jobs from nobles was any good.

Since I never tried that before and I chose the 'no reload' mode, I wanted to know vets' opinions about such a quest before I sign up.

Thanks in advance.

Mercenary jobs are usually a good way to get in good with nobles actually. They will give you a lot of minor quest which you can do to slowly grind up relations. Sometimes you'll be asked to capture an enemy leader, or generic soldiers which is more difficult. Mercenary jobs are usually a good way to build up reputation with a faction, but as a mercenary you can switch over to another faction after the two month contract runs out. After which you can use the same methods to build up relations with another kingdoms vassals.

i usually go the mercenary route, hanging about the main armies tend to be a good way to get a major battle... as long as you know when to run and when to fight in the early game... and the pillage and plundering isnt bad either, caravans tend to be easier picking at times though and it is less of a bother when you got the casus bellis to attack them