• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

CrusherX7

Captain
64 Badges
Mar 9, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Cities in Motion
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • BATTLETECH
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
Can anyone recommend where I can read up on the details of how to prepare, initiate, and complete a proper breakthrough with armored/mobile units? I gave up on trying them back when I played HoI 3 because I always ended up with the breakthrough units getting their supply line cut off leaving them helpless and eventually getting destroyed. I instead resorted to massive infantry attacks which worked fine against the AI, but DH seems to be a vastly different animal, as I just gave up on my previous game playing as Germany (1933 scenario, 1.3 beta), when my year long assault against France turned hopeless. I wasn't even at war with the Soviet Union yet. I guess I have to learn new tricks if I want to even just get the historical result.

Breakthrough units don't really have much muscle, because they're best for rounding up rear units. Frequently, you don't even attack with them at all, because they need their attack intact. They're a lot faster now, so the attack limit is now far more significant than it used to be. Your infantry and air set the enemy's front line in retreat, and the tanks should be fresh to penetrate the second line and hopefully leave a big gap behind.

The key to beating France is remembering that Brussels is usually (always?) left wide open for snatching by mobile units, even if they will be exposed to no supply for a few days. Once you have the urban center, you can step by step begin to carve out pockets. Remember to stuff tons of units at the Maginot front, not just to hold it but also to make them divert more units there, to leave the north more hollow.

I have also found out that TACs can be more valuable bombing infrastructure than enemy troops. If you are playing as Germany you can try it in France behind the Maginot line. It will slow down the troop movements of France a lot.