• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Aljadroth

Second Lieutenant
39 Badges
Jan 12, 2017
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
Hi, I bought Victoria 3 and the truth is that I'm loving it and now I'm playing 2 with its DLC. The truth is that I have seen a tutorial but it seems super difficult to me but I will learn.
Well, I'm playing with the Vatican and they only let me have 5 brigades and I don't know how I can increase that number to have more armies.
Does anyone know how to tell me?

Hi, I bought Victoria 3 and the truth is that I'm loving it and now I'm playing 2 with its DLC. The truth is that I have seen a tutorial but it seems super difficult to me but I will learn.
Well, I'm playing with the Vatican and they only let me have 5 brigades and I don't know how I can increase that number to have more armies.
Does anyone know how to tell me?
The number of brigades you can recruit is determined by the population of soldiers in the given province. In an emergency, you can of course also mobilize your reserves which draft farmers, craftsmen, and laborers into your armies, however this can be detrimental to your economy and should only be used while you are actively at war.

To increase the amount of armies you can train, you need to increase your population of soldiers. There isn't any direct way to order POPs to turn into soldiers. But there's a couple things that will help this along

Natural Increase over time
1: Keep your military spending sliders as high as possible. Poor POPs will promote into soldier pops and you will retain existing soldiers if they are paid more.

2: Use the promote Soldiers National Focus on your states with the largest population. Since you are playing the Papal states your most populated state is probably Lazio (where Rome is)

Expansion
3: Colonize ASAP if possible (unless avoiding colonization for RP reasons). This is a bit of a chicken or the egg proposition since you'll need to have some military and more importantly naval clout and enough prestige to become a secondary power to be able to colonize in the first place. But one reason the UK usually has the highest military score for most of the game is that its Indian colonies provide huge reserves of soldier pops to recruit from. Even if you can't colonize, you may be able to conquer some unciv provinces across the ocean if you can muster enough transports to ferry your army over there. Of course you have to weigh the cost-benefit of maintaining an overseas colony but densely populated colonies especially in Asia can potentially provide lots of soldiers

4: Conquer neighboring provinces. Especially as an Italian nation, the more neighboring provinces you have to easier it will be to recruit more and more accepted/primary culture brigades and eventually unify Italy. Unless of course for RP reasons you are not pursuing that goal.

Hope these tips help!

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that the Brigade count in the military panel of the UI in the corner, where it says "5/5" for example in your case, is not a hard limit. If you either use the recruitment mapmode or the army recruiter thing in the military screen, you may in fact be able to recruit more armies and go over the limit.

The reason the game indicates your capacity is lower than what you can actually recruit is because while there may be enough soldiers in one province to make a new unit, one of your existing brigades may not have enough soldiers left in their province of origin to reinforce them. This situation usually happens after an intense war when many of your existing brigades have been depleted while soldier POPs from provinces you didn't have any brigades from are now large enough to train new armies.

Last edited: