• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I am for breaking up the general authority into subsets of laws, so you can have Revocation rights at various degrees, vassal warfare allowed, etc. I like it better when I can tailor my own set of laws.

A very common complaint here seems to be vassals fighting each other at medium CA and above, well this is a result of vassals attempting to revoke titles resulting in rebellions or your indirect vassals declaring independence from their immediate liege, and I don't think people realise how terrible an idea it would be for these things to simply not be possible. Here's my solution: Medium CA is the same as it is now, vassals simply can't go to war with each other over claims. With high, there's now the additional effect whereby an indirect vassal can no longer declare independence from his liege, only against the entire realm. Finally, at absolute, you may revoke indirect vassals, and vassals must ask you for permission first to revoke their vassals, who will now have to face war with the entire realm should they refuse revocation.

I also like what others have been suggesting with making CA harder to increase, and reducing tyranny effect at higher CA.

Right now Absolute CA is just nonsense. I had an Empire with 23 king vassals and for 100 years playing as the emperor or using the "Observe" command on the console was pretty much the same thing. Everyone in your empire is fighting each other as if they were still independent kingdoms!

So where is my ABSOLUTE power?

It needs to be implemented that when you have ACA you either a) can bring down your might on the conflict supporting one of the sides (bonus relations to one side and penalty to the other) or b) tell the attacker to stop similar to the End Plot mechanic.

I find these to be the easiest solutions since they simply require the devs to change already existing settings (im pretty sure modding people can even do it now in the txt files). Other ideas in this thread could be interesting, like asking for liege permission before attacking, however they would require more coding into the game.

This can be avoided with proper vassals management (i.e. marriages/succession control and respect of de jure borders for dukes).

No it can't be, in practice. Even if vassals start out with perfect de jure borders, sooner or later someone inherits something, plots, and borders get all out of whack. Play Byzantium for 100 years and you'll understand what I mean.

I reckon the biggest problem with vassals fighting each other is how useless they are at it. I will honestly sometimes see a dukes whole stack just sit there for years and years and years, both armies standing right next to each other trying to seige the other guys province with not enough troops. A count-duke war shouldn't even go for more than a year.

Sometimes if one of your landlocked dukes/counts inherits a county through marriage and it's on an island or a big distance land connection and that new guy tries to depose him or whatever, they will just sit there doing nothing until the war score finally gets up enough for someone to win, without even fighting.

All this is very frustating because there is quite a bit you can't do when your vassals are fighting, you can't change succession, usurp, revoke, ties up levies. You have to constantly check up to see if they are at war, and hope your lucky enough to click their country when it's all over, and before they accept the alliance offer from the count of bumf**k Norway's war to depose the king.

When playing as a king, I also notice that high CA never stops vassals from starting wars. I'm not talking about wars where counts rebell against dukes. It's quite frequent that dukes declare holly wars against my neighbors while I want to stay at peace with them.

I suggest to make gradual the ability to stop such wars :

- on absolute CA : vassals need their leige's permission before attacking anyone + Liege choose their vassals' successor among pretenders (especially for muslims).

- on high CA : Liege can end vassals' private wars if not settled within a year after its begining

- on medium CA : Liege can end vassals' private wars if not settled within three years after its begining

- on weaker CAs : the same as it is now.

Also, since nobody likes loosers, CA should get weaker after the loss of major wars. But what wars could be considered as major wars ?

- holly wars / invasions players start or they've been targeted by ?

- a war where the enenmy is also a king or higher rank ?

- a war where both attacker and defender have comparable strengh ? potential levies? number of controlled regions?

I suggest to make gradual the ability to stop such wars :
Some of your ideas are interesting, but I think there would be problems trying to determine a realistic time limit for wars before the liege could intervene. Particularly in later years, even relatively small wars do take years because sieges simply take so long due to upgraded holdings and more troops to manage and fight. I think your suggested time limits are definitely too short. I would be interested to see how this impacted the balance of the game and the AI, but I doubt such drastic changes would be feasible unless they were done in steps over a number of patches. I'm not really good with history, but I suspect there would also be issues with this due to trying to maintain the realism of the game.

Also, since nobody likes loosers, CA should get weaker after the loss of major wars
In a lot of games you are going to lose wars especially when you get invaded or are the target of a holy war. This would mean crown authority would end up being almost impossible to maintain. Anything like this would have to only be for wars that you start and then surrender and I think even then the opinion penalty and restrictions for raising crown authority might have to be loosened a little.