• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

City Builder

Colonel
30 Badges
Jun 20, 2008
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Supreme Ruler: Cold War
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Sengoku
  • Semper Fi
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Majesty 2
  • Magicka
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Impire
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Cities in Motion
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Pride of Nations
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Cities: Skylines
Hi,

I'm wondering how happiness is calculated, could somebody at Zeal let us know?

I understand that the more items that I build the happier my dwarves are supposed to be, but is it based on time that they are around certain items, or is it based on the dwarves line of sight to items? Or is happiness calculated based on how many items you have placed no matter where you place them?

I thought it was kind of odd that my happiness (in custom game) only went up to about 301 and then within a minute or so dropped down to 0 or 1 but then a few minutes later it jumped up to over 30,000 happiness, but I attribute that large jump due to finding a cavern that had a bunch of wall paintings and piles of gold etc.

Still I wonder how happiness is calculate as I question above.

Thanks for your time, enjoying your game.

A quick reply would be that different objects give you a different amount of happiness. This is your inkeep. When dwarves level up and become more experienced, they also become more snobby and require more things to keep them happy. That is your upkeep.

So the more dwarves you have and the higher leveled they are, the more objects and decorations you need to keep them happy.

or you could be like me and not care about their happiness and make them get back to work the little ungrateful beasts.

. . . . . . ok, fine – here’s yet another potted plant for you. yes, an you can have the wall hanging too.
:rolleyes:

Pikka, so is it then that all of the items that I place in the game are totaled up and if that total is greater than the total happiness that the dwarves need/want then I get a positive increase in happiness, or is it based on what the dwarves can see in their line of sight around them?

So, if it's just a grand total of the happiness of each object that I place is greater than the total happiness the dwarves desire and it's not line of sight then I could essentially place the objects anyplace, like filling up a room with happiness increasing items and it would still work to raise the happiness, correct?

Thanks

Pikka, so is it then that all of the items that I place in the game are totaled up and if that total is greater than the total happiness that the dwarves need/want then I get a positive increase in happiness, or is it based on what the dwarves can see in their line of sight around them?

So, if it's just a grand total of the happiness of each object that I place is greater than the total happiness the dwarves desire and it's not line of sight then I could essentially place the objects anyplace, like filling up a room with happiness increasing items and it would still work to raise the happiness, correct?

Thanks

Yes, this is correct. Line of sight is not included in that way. The dwarves' happiness is how they generally feel about their settlement. =)