• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
There are several things you can do:

- Set a good Marshal to educate commanders; he will invite high command non-landed Greek commanders now and then. He wil also boost the stats of the existing commanders.
- Get the forged bloodline that attracts heroes. They will also tend to have a high command skill + be of your own culture/religion.
- Use the court tutor to educate promising martial youths.
- Invite a strategist from China and set him as a Marshal; He will boost the stats of your existing commanders.
- Do a character search on high martial skill; usually, if the ruler has high enough prestige there will be several willing to join your court (sometimes for a fee). You do not even have to land them. Just assign as commanders.

You can't have unlanded commanders as Byzantium.

They can't command armies, however having (in question, by inviting them) high statted courtiers in early game is crucial nonetheless to set the education system in motion.

They can't command armies, however having (in question, by inviting them) high statted courtiers in early game is crucial nonetheless to set the education system in motion.

Can you reliably use AI educators to educate good commanders? Does high AI martial educator somehow help to educate other AI character towards martial education?

Can you reliably use AI educators to educate good commanders? Does high AI martial educator somehow help to educate other AI character towards martial education?
In the old education system you could do that (pre-Conclave or with Conclave disabled), the children would be very likely to get the same type of education as their educator/tutor. AI rulers would even frequently educate their own heirs themselves, which meant that they usually would get similar traits, education and base stats.

With the Conclave education system, it's mostly just pure RNG on which education focus the AI chooses. There are a few exceptions though, like for instance in a nomadic realm the characters are more likely to choose the martial focuses. Personally, I've just modded the childhood/education focus weights so that around 3/4 of all male children in BYZ/ROM gets the martial foci, which definitely alleviates the commander issue for me.

If you have, for example, 2-4 counts per de jure duchy, you have that many options. The one with the best martial gets the viceroyal duke title and the others as his vassals. Usually there's at least on ~10 martial guy in 3-4 rulers.

With the Conclave education system, it's mostly just pure RNG on which education focus the AI chooses.

Which is so sad if you think about it. DLC should make things be less random and more logical and not the other way around..

I also remember my insanely good spymaster troublesome vassals pretty much staying the same through generations, because their heirs were also troublesome intrigue oriented characters.

Now it's random...