• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
yea when I googled realm duress CK1 was what came up:p
No clue about the impletation in Lux invicta, but in CK1 it was the post-succession possible turmoil. Hard times usually.

Realm size. Its to represent how large your realm is and how larger and larger realms take more and more "duress" to control everything.

Does it decay over time, what's the formula for it, is there a maximum penalty it imposes, if so, what. It's nice to know you want to limit expansion, but what are the mechanics of Realm Duress?

They scale upwards every 20 realm size, to 500.

This is 500+'s modifier:

castle_vassal_max_levy = -0.5
city_vassal_max_levy = -0.5
temple_vassal_max_levy = -0.5
city_vassal_tax_modifier = -0.7
castle_vassal_tax_modifier = -0.7
temple_vassal_tax_modifier = -0.7
land_morale = -0.7
general_opinion = -70

That is all realm duress is. So, going up or down in size will move your modifier accordingly, probably by way of removing the old and granting you the new modifier.

I have a few complaints, why give a general opinion malus, bureaucracy in this era held just fine, especially for stronger rulers, and usually only broke down due to incompetent rulers, like what happened to the Abbasid Caliphate in the early 800's. It's also excessively punishing when coupled with the centralization general opinion malus of -30, which gives a flat -100 to all vassals total and means you will never have a happy vassal unless you are abusing Viceroyalities and playing 'assassinate the old king-viceroyality so I can give his successor a +70 opinion modifier for doing basically nothing'. You would very much want the centralization as well, as the vassal max levy and vassal tax maluses mean the only way to effectively gain anything from a large realm is to have a large crownlands. This also pairs well with the Statist Soul law chain that gives a whopping -60 vassal opinion in exchange for counteracting the other maluses of a large realm. In addition, -70% land morale is hugely punishing since it affects Retinue, who are the most likely to be what you are reliant on late-game when the modifier goes into full swing, which is why having halved troop maximums and losing nearly 75% of taxes is incredibly crippling as well, I would think a huge realm would flip the focus around, focus on extracting wealth from the territories they control in order to support a professional army.

Edit: I also forgot about how horrid this would be for Anarchic realms, since they are hugely reliant on being able to call their anarchic vassals into their wars, which the general opinion malus would cripple

Reactions:
Simply, I think the past devs only put it there so that all the unique realms aren't just gobbled up quickly.

That said, what would be your edits to it? I am hesitant to change too much just for sake of making it easier/more snowballing...

I would toss out the negative opinion and morale of armies maluses entirely, both of them are far too punishing for what they are trying to do. In a recent game I found you are smacked with nearly the maximum penalty for claiming all of the ERE and I don't think you should be penalized for re-claiming your de-jure territory. I would also change it to a 50% loss of both levies and taxes, penalizing taxes less since those are more important to the larger realms and providing a way for non-centralized realms to pay for the massive retinue needed to hold everything together. I would also suggest stripping the Authority bonus and swapping it for a malus, to represent better how hard it can be to keep the fringes of an empire from simply defecting, and if I was going to go really crazy (never modded before so I don't know how feasible it is), I would add in 'speedy expansion' modifier that can sap yet more taxes, cash, and authority, and if you're going really crazy this is where you would put the general opinion malus, to represent how hard it is to stay stable during massive conquests.

maybe you can make a distinction between de jure and non de jure vassals.

Ok, I will try to figure that out. Conquering all the ERE in this world would be a tremendous conquest though, hence the penalties it would give.

@TheHuntedOne ,I'll go for a 50% reduction for morale and opinion, because I think there still needs to be some of this and 50% reduction seems like a lot to me. also will strip out the prestige gain, because a realm would have greater prestige gain from new titles and such anyways to add to what you said.

Last edited:
Adjusted those, uploaded to Github. let me know how it changes things or if it doesn't.