• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Bulan

Second Lieutenant
11 Badges
Nov 9, 2013
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
I'm a feudal empire. There's a coastal silk road trading post slot in one of my demesne counties. Raiders destroyed the post I built and my own vassal MR built a post in the slot before I noticed. This has basically trashed my income. How do I get the trading post back, short of extreme measures?

Last edited:
Least extreme measures I have found so far.

1. Grant independence, declare embargo, force vassalize. In that order.

2. Dismantle MR by revoking all duchy and higher titles, effectively destroying the MR.

Untested, but it should work in theory:
  • Be able to raid (via religion or culture).
  • Set up some raiders near the MR.
  • Become hostile to the MR (eg. failed imprisonment, attempt to revoke title, attempt to retract vassal).
  • Raid the county containing the trade post.
  • Sieging down the top holding as a raider should destroy the SR trade post. (This is, arguably, a bug.)
  • Win the war as normal.
  • Build the trade post immediately.
Alternatively (also untested):
  • Become hostile to the MR (eg. failed imprisonment, attempt to revoke title, attempt to retract vassal).
  • Siege down every holding in the county, including the SR trade post.
  • Sieging down the SR trade post as a non-raider should destroy the SR trade post. (This is, arguably, a bug.)
  • Win the war as normal.
(This is from frequent early-game experience of defending against raiders and/or sieges. I've become quite sensitive about people sieging-down and destroying my lovely fully-upgraded SR trade posts.)

Last edited:
Untested, but it should work in theory:
  • Be able to raid (via religion or culture).
  • Set up some raiders near the MR.
  • Raid the county containing the trade post.
  • Sieging down the top holding as a raider should destroy the SR trade post. (This is, arguably, a bug.)
  • Win the war as normal.
Alternatively (also untested):
  • Siege down every holding in the county, including the SR trade post.
  • Sieging down the SR trade post as a non-raider should destroy the SR trade post. (This is, arguably, a bug.)
  • Win the war as normal.
(This is from frequent early-game experience of defending against raiders and/or sieges. I've become quite sensitive about people sieging-down and destroying my lovely fully-upgraded SR trade posts.)

Ugh, what a pain. I or my direct barons hold all normal holdings in the province. I am a raiding culture but was not able to raid the post when it was held by a foreign MR with no treaty, so I assumed that raiding would not work if I went hostile to my vassal MR - is this a bad assumption? I am also reliant on taxes from my vassal MR for income and they have a ton of money for mercenaries, so making them go hostile is pretty extreme.

Ugh, what a pain. I or my direct barons hold all normal holdings in the province. I am a raiding culture but was not able to raid the post when it was held by a foreign MR with no treaty, so I assumed that raiding would not work if I went hostile to my vassal MR - is this a bad assumption? I am also reliant on taxes from my vassal MR for income and they have a ton of money for mercenaries, so making them go hostile is pretty extreme.

Raiding can be a bit weird about precisely how you become hostile to the target and precisely what is raidable. If you wanted to raid the foreign MR, you might have to become hostile first by moving your raiders onto one of their counties. Only then would you be able to raid the specific trade post that offended you.

In general, you can raid anyone you are at war with. The only wrinkle is that you have to create your raiders before declaring war. (You can only switch normal troops to raiders while you are at peace.) If you don't have enouugh retinues, there is a bug/exploit that allows you to use mercenaries to raid.

Be at peace. Hire the mercenaries. Click the "split" button and move all of the mercenary units into either the left or right pane. Click "raid" on the other pane. Move all of the mercenary units to the raider pane. Your mercenaries are now raiders and, as a bonus, they are super-cheap to maintain!

However, I'm not 100% sure that everything will work out in the way I hope. In particular, I'm worried about the fact that you own the target county and have the vassalage of all of the barons - this might complicate things, since we're relying on an arguable-bug. So, you should definitely back up your save before taking such a big step that might not even work.

I was ultimately able to snag the post when another republic took it, by raiding one of the other republic's counties to get hostile status and then sieging it down with raiders.

They are terrible at retaining control of the trading post and join every faction and revolt, so I don't trust them as a reliable income source.