How can two people see completely different servers in the multiplayer section?

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Streetwind

Recruit
15 Badges
Dec 30, 2021
  • Magicka
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Federations
I've been trying to get a friend to join my multiplayer game, and it's not working. We've gone through all of the typical troubleshooting steps suggested here and elsewhere on the internet, to no avail.

One thing that we are seeing, which is not talked about in any of the guides I've found, is that his server list is completely different. When we disable all filters, both of us see a long list of servers. But they are different. I see none of the ones he sees. He sees none of the ones I see.

When he hosts a game, his serverID is completely different from mine. He's got like a 40-digit hexadecimal code with dashes and whatnot. When I host, I simply get a 17-digit plain number.

I've installed the game via Steam; he's installed it via an installer he downloaded from Paradox.

We are in the same country, just a few dozen miles apart.

(EDIT: Yes, we do have the same checksum.)

Last edited:
Reactions:
Well, we ultimately solved the issue by getting him Stellaris on Steam in the winter sale. It was 75% off, and we just wanted to play already.

So I cannot tell you any actual solution that was tried and worked.

But several days later I read elsewhere about the Paradox launcher having a "cross-store multiplayer" button. It's hidden at the bottom of the "game settings" menu. Perhaps you can try that and see if it works?

If you have mixed Steam and non-Steam editions trying to MP together, all the Steam players need to opt into the Crossplay version in the Paradox Launcher before starting the game.

• 1Like
Reactions: