• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Endrju82

Recruit
Sep 14, 2020
I'm playing as Poland in 1585. I'm neighboaring Persia and declared Holy War on her, occupied some provinces. The problem is I don't see a way to conquer those provinces, because Persia is somehow a vassal of The Timurids (Steppe Nomad/Horde). It shouldn't be possible, but it is what it is ... (I'm playing DW 5.2 BTW) I can't make peace with Persia, because they are a vassal. I can't take those provinces in a peace deal with The Timurids, because they are a horde and hordes can't cede provinces. There is in an option in peace negiotiations with The Timurids to make them release vassal, but Persia is quite big and the required warscore is > 100%.

Any solutions?

I'm not neighboaring The Timurids right now, but I can be. Will a normal horde war with them (not a Holy War with their vassal) give me different peace options that will solve my problem? How can I make the required warscore for freeing Persia from vassalage smaller?

Will a normal horde war with them (not a Holy War with their vassal) give me different peace options that will solve my problem?
No. As you've seen, hordes have very limited peace options.

It doesn't sound like there's anything you can do in the near-term, within the rules. Depending on what the map looks like, it might be possible to try to cause Persia to lose provinces via Nationalist or Patriot rebels, if you have the spies for that and if Persia has sufficiently isolated provinces to lose that way. Since you're at war with them already, you may be able to force that by just staying at war for years and using your armies to ensure that Persia can't retake whatever provinces your spies set up to defect or go independent (easiest by just fully occupying the rest of Persia).

An alternate option, and one I'd find fairly tempting in your position, would be to peace out since your current war can't achieve anything useful for you (barring potential spy shenanigans as above), save, reload as Persia, break vassalization, save, and reload as Poland and continue from there. It sounds like Persia must be quite a lot stronger than the Timurids (I know from my Hindustan game what a joke the Timurids become well before 1585) so it doesn't make a ton of sense for them to remain vassals.

I found a different way. The required warscore for freeing a vassal is the sum of "value" of all the provinces of the vassal. It is the same value that is used when demanding provinces. The value decreases after you occupy the provinces for a long time in a war. The original required warscore was 121% and I managed to drop it below 100%, after I occupied all of Persia.

You could also have colonised all of the Timurids. If they don't exist, they can't have vassals...
I don't expect it will happen in this case, but freed vassals can have an annoying habit of becoming vassals again before the truce is up.