• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

buckeyebob

Private
30 Badges
Dec 21, 2007
  • For the Motherland
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Pride of Nations
  • 500k Club
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • Magicka
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
I just discovered HOI3 will not load anymore. The last time I played was back in December and it worked fine,. I normally run Black Ice mods and I can get the launcher to come up. None of the mods or vanilla version will load. The spinning clock comes up for a few seconds and disappears. Any advice.

How are you trying to start it? Is it a Steam copy? We need more details about what has and hasn't worked in the past to diagnose what's going wrong.

Yes, it its the Steam Version. Again, it worked fine in December but not now. Makes me wonder if Microsoft pushed through an update to Windows 10 that messed things up. I've tried through the Steam app to run the vanilla version. I also have the Gamersgate version. I've deleted it and tried to reload but I cannot get FTM to re-load as I get the file corrupted message so I can't do the GG version.

This is what I get when I go through Steam with the beta patch enabled. Vanillla, or any of the mods causes the game to crash on start up.

1642763540316.png

I also try to go through the root file and try to run For the Motherland and get the same result as it crashes on startup.

1642764110387.png

1642764193058.png

So, for BICE anyways, you're supposed to move it out of the Steam folder because otherwise it updates regardless of settings which will break the game.

Did you delete all files (so no folder in Documents with save games etc)?

This happened to me a couple of years ago and only in the last 6 months or so have I gotten the game to work. I just copied and pasted all of the game files out of my Steam folder and onto my PC.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm still playing my GOG copy with no problem. It ran fine just last night, in fact. Whatever it is, it seems likely to be a Steam versus Windows 10 compatibility issue.

Note that I installed it to a C:\Games\Paradox folder, not to the default location.

• 2Like
Reactions:
I just discovered HOI3 will not load anymore. The last time I played was back in December and it worked fine,. I normally run Black Ice mods and I can get the launcher to come up. None of the mods or vanilla version will load. The spinning clock comes up for a few seconds and disappears. Any advice.
easy way to soluce your trouble ;) go to the folder where are installed hoi3 and right clic with your mouse to all application exe ( hoi3-thf , hoi3game ), there go to compatibility and make active the "disabling full screen optimisation "

easy way to soluce your trouble ;) go to the folder where are installed hoi3 and right clic with your mouse to all application exe ( hoi3-thf , hoi3game ), there go to compatibility and make active the "disabling full screen optimisation "
This did not solve anything.

None of the solutions here have solved my HoI 3 crashing on startup with the following error message: "Exception in: vitualfilesystem.cpp, line: 624"
Any other fixes?

Did you get the Podcat LAA exe?

That did the trick ... not all heroes wear capes.
Thanks!

• 1Like
Reactions: