• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Have you guys all lost interest in the MOD? I hope not =) Best stuff is yet to come =)

Anyway, since my call to the flag designers didn't get much feedback :D here's something else. I need 1-3 volunteers to test a new feature/modification idea I came up with. Some of you already said they'd be ready to beta test if needed, so here's your chance ;)

HIP 0.84 is out!!!

v0.84 (checksum:EBLM )
-fixed light_armor (model 0) in the 1942 scenario of Japan and Soviet Union
-changed IC's in Albania, Bulgaria, Middle East, Pakistan, India, Bangladesh and Indochina
-changed the difficulty with all naval techs
-added 3 aircraft sprites for Poland
-added tech team "Vereinigte Stahlwerke AG" for Germany
-added new tech team pictures for Germany
-added sleep-events of tech-teams for Germany and France
-fixed some startup-techs for France, Poland, Romania and Hungary
-the skill of the tech-team "Maurice Gamelin" is raised to 2 and "Blohm & Voss" raised to 7
-changed #_CV_AIR_ORG_DMG_MODIFYER1_ from 25.0 to 10.0
-changed #_CV_AIR_STR_DMG_MODIFYER_ from 0.2 to 0.1
-lowered the difficulties of the industrial-techs from '41 until '47
-Scandinavia is added

I'll give it a try Keldor - I've never Beta tested before but I'm happy to help. :)

Ok guys, just for you to know.. if you want to play HIP in a long game, now's your chance. There ill not be any new version for at least a month.

The reason is not that we are having less time or can't work on it. No, quite the opposite. We plan to make some major additions and some changes as well until the next version. Releasing any of those as a single patch is something we decided against. We want to give you time to enjoy HIP as is for a while without having to fear you'll have to restart your game again in a week because a new patch arrived.
Instead we will release a major overhaul after we are done with everything. This will take quite a while but we assure you it will be worth it.

One result of this though is, that we really need some help. Not in development but in testing things. We will change many many aspects of the game and we need to test those things. If we have to do this ourselfs that will slow down things a lot. We also would prefer a more objective outside view on things.
You won't have to make any overly specific tests, you basically just have to play HIP with the files we'll send you and report back. We might ask you to play as a specific country and/or check a certain aspect of the game while playing, but otherwise you are free to play as you want so it sure will be fun as well.
AS I said, we can do this ourselves as well, but it will keep us from implementing stuff. So if you are willing and do have some time to play and report back to us over the next 6-8 weeks, tell us, but please only then. We need to be able to count on you if you volunteer.
Anyway, we wish you a nice summer, and report back to us about HIP in any way you want, even if you are not a beta tester, we're thankful for any feedback :)

KeldorKatarn said:
Ok guys, just for you to know.. if you want to play HIP in a long game, now's your chance. There ill not be any new version for at least a month.

The reason is not that we are having less time or can't work on it. No, quite the opposite. We plan to make some major additions and some changes as well until the next version. Releasing any of those as a single patch is something we decided against. We want to give you time to enjoy HIP as is for a while without having to fear you'll have to restart your game again in a week because a new patch arrived.
Instead we will release a major overhaul after we are done with everything. This will take quite a while but we assure you it will be worth it.

One result of this though is, that we really need some help. Not in development but in testing things. We will change many many aspects of the game and we need to test those things. If we have to do this ourselfs that will slow down things a lot. We also would prefer a more objective outside view on things.
You won't have to make any overly specific tests, you basically just have to play HIP with the files we'll send you and report back. We might ask you to play as a specific country and/or check a certain aspect of the game while playing, but otherwise you are free to play as you want so it sure will be fun as well.
AS I said, we can do this ourselves as well, but it will keep us from implementing stuff. So if you are willing and do have some time to play and report back to us over the next 6-8 weeks, tell us, but please only then. We need to be able to count on you if you volunteer.
Anyway, we wish you a nice summer, and report back to us about HIP in any way you want, even if you are not a beta tester, we're thankful for any feedback :)

That is great news about the major improvements comming looking forward to your great work as always.. :D

hellfish6 said:
I'll help. Can you tell us anything about the changes you're planning?

We may report a few things we plan to do yes, but most of it is supposed to be a surprise ;)

One thing I'd like to hear your opinion about though.

We think it would be nice to be able to motorise standard infantry divisions after having built them instead of building special divisions which are basically just infatry with trucks for movement but otherwise the same fighting stats.

We thought about introducing a "motorisation" Brigade for standard Infantry only. Mechanized Infantry has different tactics and different equipment to having a special unit type for that is realistic so we'll keep that.

The advantages of a motorization brigade are obvious. You can put it on a unit you chose, it can be assigned after bulding, it can be changed from one unit to another.

But there is also a big disadvantage: Land Units can have only one brigade! So every motorised infantry would be unable to get additional power through brigades...

Think about it. Our tendency right now is to keep the motorized DIvision even if it is so unflexible right now, in order to allow you to still use brigades as you please.

Please tell us what you think. If a large majority is FOR the motorization brigade, we might still make it.

Motorization brigade sounds neat and definitley more realistic...

Regarding the problem with max. one brigade is kind of hard to find a good solution on, but I think on it this way:

One will never use ART or any other brigade that will lower the speeds of motorised infantry divisions. Instead, one will use brigades that doesn't affect speed and how many are there? (I don't have ARMA here) 4 or perhaps 5?

This can be solved in some ways that I can think of know:

Event: When a motorised brigade is built, a event pop's up, giving the option to choose between add sp-art numbers (HA, SA) for a cost that is calculated based on how long a particular brigade would take to build.

But this suggestion, has many con's:

First, perhaps not in the general line of the mod.
Second, one get the brigade stats instantly.

Another suggestion is having a specific tech-three under technology where one can choose to give the brigades stronger AA or similar.

But, yet once again, many cons.

One must then choose a path and brigades don't become flexible as they should be.

So, my suggestion is, make the motorizaton brigade for a high cost and screw it that they don't have the possibilty to add another brigade.

Take Germany as an example; they needed artillery to break the line, then panzers and mot. breaked through, pocketing the russian forces and thereafter smashed them into pieces.

I would really prefer a mot. brigade instead of a individual unit... And what a fantastic opportuinty, in having a new set of models to create something else on.

Just my five cents when I read your post.

Keep up the good work!

T

I like the idea of a motorization brigade at first glance. What about some high-cost techs to add HA and SA values to mot brigades (or have SP artillery research affect motor brigades along with SP artillery brigades?).

What will happen to vanilla motorized divisions if you adopt the motor brigade?

TeutonburgerW said:
One will never use ART or any other brigade that will lower the speeds of motorised infantry divisions. Instead, one will use brigades that doesn't affect speed and how many are there?

Regarding this, HIP will make a few changes as well.
We will introduce Infantry and Tank brigades and cut a few others to make them possible.

We will try to make brigades what they really are. An additional brigade is an additional brigade/regiment/bataillon (depending on the type) that is assigned to a division to give it temporarily more firepower or more ability of one type to solve a specific problem or to break through at a certain point.

Most HoI players seem to have a strange idea of brigades and unfortunately the model of vanilla HoI supports that idea.

It's not like a Tank division has no artillery unless you assign an artillery brigade to it. Or that it has no anti-tank capabilty unless you assign it.

Brigades are ADDITIONAL forces only. Every division has EVERY unit type since divisions fight with combined arms tactics. A division is a completely self sufficient unit which can do everything.
The only difference between division types is the ammount of the main fighting units.

For ecample a tank division usually has 1 tank- and 2 infantry regiments.
An infantry division usually has 3 inf regiments and might sometimes have a light tank bataillon.
But both have artilley, pioneers, radio, reconnaissance and all the other stuff you need.

We already simulated this in HIP by making the brigade techs give all your units bonuses.
The vanilla model is toally ridiculous. You put energy and money into researching better artillery and no unit benefits from it, unless you assign "additional" artilley.
The unit already HAS artilley and therefore should benefit. That's what HIP already does and what we will enhance.
We also deactivated the combined arms bonus for corps. This is again for realism reasons because corps don't need to combine arms.. the divisions, ALL division, already do. (besides, combined arms is not about mixing infantry with tanks, it is about mixing main fighting force (infantry, tanks) with support units (artillery, pioneers, recon) and vanilla didn'T even give you combined arms for mech + tanks which is giving that feature an additional nail in the coffin).
We will try to enhance the brigade model further, and motorization brigades would be one step in that direction. The only problem is that such a unit could not receive additional forces anymore, like an additional infantry regiment or an additional artillery bataillon (which was quite common e.g. to storm a fortress like sewastopol where you needed every cannon you could get)

Again, we are open for your opinions about the motorization brigade.

hellfish6 said:
What will happen to vanilla motorized divisions if you adopt the motor brigade?

Will be gone and replaced by a different division type we think is realistic and useful. Guerillas or Partisans come to mind (having partisans use militia units (which are euqal to lets say the american national guard) is somewhat strange)

@KeldorKatarn - I definitely like the idea of motorisation of units. I have always been annoyed at the fact that I can't upgrade infantry units with motorised. Your points about each division having artillery, recon etc. integrated already is very valid. I am very much in favour of having attatchable motorised brigades so that leg infantry divisions can be made useful again. Also like the idea of tank and infantry brigades. By the way, I'll be testing this weekend. Let me know if there are any specifics to check for.
Cheers

Hip 0.84

What am I doing wrong?

I created the Doomsday/HIP folder, I delete the specified files, I download HIP 0.84 from moddir.

I am unable to extract the dowloaded file. I get an unreadable or corrupt file message using winrar.

Any help is appreciated.