• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
if there still is anyone there, i decided to put this aar onhold for now; firstly i updated MMP to Xmas edition, secondly i sort of lost interest in it/have little time to write narrative

i might revisit it still, as i have some ideas and there were some interesting twists in the game... we shall see
well, i don't have the saves now but i might still use the screenshots and my memory
anyway, as it stands, with Beatrice's demise and the new kingdom emerging, there's some feeling of closure to it, right?

thank you everyone for reading it and commenting on it
special thanx go to aldriq, merrick and Judas

actually, i'm thinking of sth more straightforward: a gameplay aar so it's like 'see you soon' rather than 'farewell'

On no! I completely missed your post of 11 April. I hope they update the forums to vBulletin 4 soon, this version is rubbish keeping track of subscribed threads.

Sad that you are leaving it on hold, I hope you do revisit it in the future. At least you leave it at a high point, well done getting the kingdom title!

No idea about the quiz, though :confused:

I don't know why I didn't post a response to your last update (except that I had no idea about the quiz). Probably I meant to and then didn't get round to it before the post fell off the front page and I forgot. My bad. :(

I thought this was one of the best AARs on the board - interesting angle, good writing and lots of historical detail. Tell the truth, I felt a bit guilty that I got more feedback for comedy cartoon elephants than you did all your hard work. Thanks for sharing!

thank you everyone for reading it and commenting on it
special thanx go to aldriq, merrick and Judas

:eek:o I don't know what I did to deserve those thanks, but you're very welcome. Shame this had to go on hold, but as I've always said I've long since lost my right to complain about that without hypocrisy.

aldriq, merrick, Judas - thank you for kind words of encouragement, i do consider getting back to this story, some heroines' stories are left unfinished, i have ideas for two/three more episodes, but i sort of lack time and will to get down to writing sth polished; and in this project that's what i have been aiming at; also, when/if i do get down to writing again, i'll answer the pending quizzes

at present i feel like writing sth simpler so let me invite you to Danzig/Gdańsk :)

I am a catch

courtier1-1.jpg

Ambois, 07 December 1523​

‘Womens doings for the most part are voide of al reason; because the maner of them is alwayes to cleave to the woorst, and like sheepe to do that they see the first to do, bee it well or yll: beside that they be so spiteful emong themselves.’​

The door flung open and Jeane burst in. Madame put down the manuscript she was reading. Antoinette raised her head and looked at the newcomer with these, so typical of her, pursed lips and stern expression.
‘The King, your son supports your claim, Madame,’ Jeane breathed out.
‘Lord bless His Majesty’s filial love,’ Louise de Savoy said quietly.
‘And his down-to-earth calculation,’ interjected Antoinette. ‘He surely knows that if He backs you up, the Bourbon inheritance sooner or later will become royal, that is His property.’
‘Don’t be so cynical Antoinette. My son knows well this is best for the country.’
‘I wouldn’t be so sure it is. I doubt the lords of the realm will applaud this turn of events. It’s a gesture signalling the King aims at undermining their power.’
‘And how about my aunt, Ann of France?’ Madame turned to Jeane.
‘She passed away a week or so ago. She was so grief-stricken after Suzanne’s death. Her daughter was all her hope. She hadn’t given any clear instructions before her demise and admittedly her own inheritance is a knotty issue.’
‘And Charles?’
‘He will be a problem. Especially, if you do insist on your son’s confiscating the Bourbon estates on your behalf even before the lawsuit has been settled. I mean he hasn’t left his Dutch lands; the ones he’d been given for his bravery in war against the Empire. He’s barricaded himself there and he’s probing the nobles’ feelings, looking for supporters.’
‘And we’re not talking about any minor noble here, Madame,’ added Antoinette. ‘He’s the Constable of France, the title he was rewarded for his services to the Crown. And the Governor of the Low Lands, the freshly-conquered area, the area most disloyal to the Crown.’
‘There’s no doubt I am in the right here. On basis of the proximity of blood Suzanne’s inheritance is mine. There’s no use waiting for any legal adjudication. And isn’t His Majesty’s will the ultimate will in this kingdom?’
‘Does it mean we’re moving to Moulins, Madame?’ asked Jeane.
‘Yes. Shortly.’

450px-MOULINS_museeAnneDeBeaujeu-1.jpg
'...it's mine. Mine.'​

Moulins, 02 April 1524​

‘This delite of yours proceadeth not wholy of the beawty but of the affection. And if you wil tell the troth, the first time you beheld that woman, ye felt not the thousandth part of the delite which ye did afterward, though her beauty were the very same. Therfore ye may conceive how affection beareth a greater stroke in your delite than beauty.’
‘I deny not that, but as delite ariseth of affection so doth affection arise of beauty, therfore a man may say that beauty is cause of delite.’​

Madame put down the manuscript she was reading and got out of the coach. Spring came early this year and trees and grass were so green and fresh in the midday sun that it almost hurt her eyes. She sent Jeane and Antoinette inside to tell the servants to unpack their luggage and ready a meal for them. She herself decided to take a stroll, to walk about the palace grounds. ‘So this is my family home,’ she thought looking at the whitewashed walls, elegant shapes of the building, carefully-tended lawns and park around the edifice. ‘And it’s the first time I’ve been here. Aunt Anne invited me many a times to her estates but never here. It’s a bit like Ambois, not that grand maybe, but it’s mine. Mine.’

Jeane dashed out, stopped in the doorframe for a while looking around. She spotted Louise, waved and shouted, ‘Madame, Madame! There’s a portrait gallery here. Come! Come and see! There’s a painting of your family.’
‘My family?’ asked Madame.
‘Oh, the one your father commissioned years ago and your half-brother Carlo sold to Anne of France when he had cash-flow problems financing his Catalan wars. You’ve always said you’d like to see it. It’s here!’

They went inside and Jeane led Louise to a long narrow corridor joining the wings of the palace. Antoinette was already there looking at the painting. None of them spoke. Louise took in the picture. Her parents sitting at a table, chessboard on it; there was a little girl standing next to her father. ‘That’s me,’ she realised ‘And there’s a cradle, one of my brothers in it. Is it Girolamo, who died in infancy, or ever sickly Filiberto? When was the painting made?’ She scoured it for any detail which might give her a clue and then she spotted it. Her mother was holding a piece of amber in her hand. Louise’s hand involuntarily went up to her neck, she felt for the pendant on her breast. There in a silver casing was lying, hidden, the very same piece of amber.

‘There are more portraits here,’ Antoinette broke the silence. They slowly walked along the passage. Louise gazed at familiar faces. Her uncle Peter with Anne of France, his wife. ‘Oh how she ordered him about!’ Anne of France again, depicted with Suzanne, both kneeling, hands pressed, the figure of Saint Anne towering above them. ‘How illusive this protection turned out!’ There was her other uncle, cardinal. There were other faces and silhouettes, ones she only vaguely recognised.

‘Here’s a looker!’ shouted Jeane who had moved on. The other two walked closer then stopped to admire the portrait. It was of a handsome man in his thirties, brown-bearded with dark bold eyes, a full sensual mouth, a good figure, broad shoulders and slim strong legs. He was wearing armour and looked like a man ready to set out to conquer either an empire, or a woman. ‘Do you know him, Madame?’ asked Jeane.
‘I’ve never actually seen him, but I think that’s…’
‘Yes, that’s Charles, the Constable,’ concluded Antoinette. ‘I’ve seen him a couple of times.’
Her confidantes looked from the portrait back to Madame’s face. Antoinette was first to grasp the change in Louise’s features; the widening of the eyes, the parting of the lips.
‘He’s very… pleasing,’ whispered Madame.
‘Look at these tender hands,’ Jeane pointed out.
‘Yes,’ Madame breathed.
‘And such slender waist,’ Jeane added jokingly. ‘If only late Charles, your husband…’ she didn’t finish.
‘Yes,’ Louise said absent-mindedly, apparently no offence taken.
‘Huh! His nose is somewhat too large,’ commented Antoinette, now seriously afraid of what her protectoress might be thinking about.
‘Hmm… I don’t think so. It’s just fine. Just fine,’ answered Madame, a tone of resolve in her voice. After a pause she added, ‘He’ll marry me. This man will marry me.’
‘But how, my Lady!’ shouted Antoinette.
‘You’re fifteen years senior to him,’ Jeane was both shocked and terrified.
‘Surely, he’ll want to recover and keep his Bourbon inheritance, won’t he?’
‘And you’re the condition? Remember, Madame, he’s just been widowed by a young wife. He’s the Constable of France, probably the most powerful noble in the realm. Why do you think he’d agree? And look he’s a catch. He can easily choose a new wife from the wealthiest and most powerful families of France.’
I am a catch. I am the best party, from – as you’ve put it – the wealthiest and most powerful family of France.’
‘But it was you who took his inheritance, this very house including, away from him. He’s bound to hold a grudge. He’s already started making waves, remember?’ Antoinette didn’t seem convinced. ‘And how are you planning to go about this? Are you going to propose? Such a shame!’ But uttering these words Antoinette, just like dumbstruck Jeane, knew it was too late to talk reason. They could see Madame hunch her shoulders and turn away. They’d known her for too long so as not to recognise the gesture. The gesture of a stubborn woman who had made her choice. No wise words would change her mind.
‘Go now,’ she said and when the two hesitated as if waiting for her to join them, she added turning her head to the portrait, ‘Go, I might look at it again.’

Charles_III_Duke_of_Bourbon1-1.jpg
'Will you marry me?'​

Moulins, 26 September 1524​

‘For sins women are moste unperfect creatures and of litle or no woorthynesse; they were not apt to woorke any virtuous deede of them selves, that they should have a bridle put upon them with shame and feare of infamye, that shoulde (in maner) by force bring them into some good condicion.’​

‘He refused.’
Madame put down the manuscript she was reading.
‘What?’
‘He declined your proposal,’ repeated Jeane with a trembling voice.
‘How come?’
‘What a cheeky, cocky upstart!’ exclaimed Antoinette. ‘But he feels strong enough to do so. You gave him too much time, Madame, I’m afraid,’ she commented.
‘But this is not everything,’ continued Jeane. The other two looked at her, alarm in their eyes. ‘Many nobles rallied round him. Actually most veterans of the war with the Empire are on his side.’
‘My son will deal with them in no time.’
‘And I hear Isabela of Castile, herself childless, is seriously considering his marriage proposal to her younger sister. Her previous husband Alfons, the infamous short-lived King of Aragon, officially declared a traitor, now that Isabela disinherited his children...'
'The Emperor is also trying to contact Charles. The Low Lands will soon be in open rebellion. I hear, there’s even talk of secession.’
‘Can this be stopped?’ asked Madame, her face pale, her voice a barely audible whisper.
‘Your son, the king declared he’ll cut any talk about Spanish or Austrian Netherlands short, cut with his sword.’
‘War?’
‘Fraid so.’

NO.gif
No Spain?​

Moulins, 29 December 1524​

‘Women are as full of vertues as men be’
‘Nay, a great deale more, and that it is so you may see, virtue is the female, and vice the male.’​

The news must have been bad. Madame could read it from Jeane’s face. ‘This woman is incapable of hiding any information or controlling her emotions,’ thought Louise. She stopped reading and put the manuscript aside, placing it carefully in a silver casket.
‘Tell me, Jeane.’
‘Your son, his majesty,’ stuttered Jeane, ‘the battle was lost and, and he… he’s been taken hostage.’
The three women exchanged glances and crossed themselves. Louise could see reproach in her confidantes’ eyes; but she could also see there unwavering loyalty.
‘How are we going to go about it, Madame?’ asked Antoinette.
‘Will you negotiate?’ asked Jeane.

abdication.gif
Oh, humiliation!​

***​

As for the game itself, not that much was going on in Savoy, I mean Sardinia-Piedmont ;) for the past two years save pirate problems and the Jewish question. The news from France was very interesting though, and somewhat ‘historical’. Wasn’t at some point Francis I kept hostage by his Constable? Also, you can imagine how startled I was when I saw Castile saying ‘No!’ to the ‘Viva España’ thing. (The French event happened earlier but for the sake of the story I swapped them.)

Old quizzes:
1) The connection between Queen Blanca, lute player Gaston and Justine is they all read and venerated the works of Peter Valdo.
2) The ‘Dear Granny’ letter exchange is copied from ‘Natural English’ upper-inter textbook (there were a bunch of mini-sagas there, the one I, slightly changed, put here – my favourite)

New quiz:
The quotations come from the manuscript Louise of Savoy was reading. What’s the title of this book?

I wonder if Aragón must be of certain minimum size for Castille to accept to form Spain...

Those excerpts seem to come from The Book of the Courtier... I take there are no modern translations of it to English?

aldriq: Dunno about the spanish unification chain, found it odd though. As for the quiz you got it right, of course. Congrats!

I haven't forgotten this aar, but the Danzig one is easier to write and faster to update (and seems to hve more folowing :D).

Plumes

archer-1.jpg

I​

Pamplona, 24 March 1526​

‘Your Highness,’ the servant bowed, your son and lady Marguerite have safely reached Pau.’ ‘Good,’ thought Queen Blanca. ‘And the Savoyards?’ she asked. ‘I’m afraid they’re very close. We have a day or two at most before they encircle the town.’ The queen waved the girl away. She knew her army had been dispersed, she knew the walls of Pamplona wouldn’t stop the invaders. It was just a question of time. Time. Blanca closed her eyes and remembered the words from the letter from her most formidable bragant, Justine.

Valencia, 20 December 1526​
‘…Timing is everything. Now is the perfect time, My Lady. Both France and Castile are busy with their dynastic problems. They’re too busy to intervene. Aragon is of no importance. We can count on the sympathy and support of the Protestant princes of Europe, the movement is on the rise. The House of Savoy is unlikely to get involved, there’s a large minority of our followers in Savoy proper; our people have been living in the valleys there for centuries, undisturbed. As you have in your childhood. I don’t think Carlos will risk internal tension in such turbulent times. We have to hope our insignificance is our shield; it’ll allow us to remain overlooked. But this spark, this spark will ignite the fire. Lux Lucet in Tenebris.’

converted.gif
Queen Blanca II gambles​

attack.gif
Carlo I of Savoy reacts​

II​

Pamplona, 1 September 1526​

The clamour of the skirmishes reached her ears. The Savoyards were at it again. Blanca calmly came to the window. Looked out. The Savoyards and their banners filled up the courtyard. Her guard were withdrawing. ‘Now,’ she nodded to the pageboy who ran down the stair to deliver her order. She kept looking. Minutes passed and than she saw the captain of her guard give signals of the will to surrender. The noises subsided, she saw the information about the imminent victory being passed on by Savoyard soldiers to their rear ranks, beyond the courtyard. A moment later she saw him; mounted, riding into the courtyard, his silvery armour glistening, the plumes on his helmet waving. He wanted to receive her surrender in person.

Blanca looked sideways and made out the darkened silhouette, a shadow hidden in the nearby turret; the longbowman; one Chris Tayler; ‘the follower of our creed’ as Justine assured. ‘Now,’ she thought. She let a white dove out of her hands, the bird flew out of the window; so did the arrows. The swish was barely audible. But they hit the target right. The shouts of despair and disbelief and the commotion down there left no room for doubt. Blanca gave the sigh of relief. The remnants of Navarrese army resumed the fight from their hiding places. The surprise attack on the trapped Savoyards seemed successful. The loss of their ruler and leader broke their morale and put in chaos in their actions. ‘There’s still hope,’ thought Blanca. To play it safe, she threw the letter into the fire; the flames slowly consumed the words of the letter.

Valencia, 22 July 1526​
‘My Lady, King Carlo is a proud and vain man. With a tendency to show off. He’ll be easily recognisable. He’ll be wearing his famous silver-covered armour. At his helmet there’ll be plumes of white and red, distinguishing him from other high-ranked nobles. He’ll stand out. Timing will be crucial. You know what needs to be done. Lux Lucet in Tenebris.’

deathofCarlo.gif
Had to be done​

Navarre turned protestant and I deemed it a perfect opportunity to bind it even closer with Savoy. The king died during the siege of course, though there's a twist to his death.

The Quiz: What creed is Justine referring to?

gabor said:
The king died during the siege of course, though there's a twist to his death.
That little story made a good read. It seems doubtful that Blanca's scheme will save Navarra, but depending on the kind of twist, it might.

Yay Protestant Navarre! This is one of my favourite AARs; I hope it continues—but I know you've got another one on the go, too.

Despite the wily tactics of a certain archer I doubt Navarre can withstand the onslaught for very long.

Urza:
It seems doubtful that Blanca's scheme will save Navarra, but depending on the kind of twist, it might.
Doubtful indeed. In reality, other powers might have intervened. In Chris Taylor's aar Navarre would once again miraculously survive. So doubtful, yes. Yet, remember this is me, gabor, do you think I would be capable of killing Navarre? :D

Chris Taylor:
Yay Protestant Navarre! This is one of my favourite AARs; I hope it continues—but I know you've got another one on the go, too.

Despite the wily tactics of a certain archer I doubt Navarre can withstand the onslaught for very long.
It's Protestant in game terms; Waldensian story-wise. Ooops! I've just answered the quiz. :eek: Thank you for your kind word. I do plan to write two or three more posts (the game is over) but, as you say, it's hard with another aar going; and this one requires more work. I wouldn't like to leave Blanca's, Madame's, Justine's and Alasia's stories unfinished. And there should be some way for the archer to reappear, but of course! :)