• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tilarium

Colonel
116 Badges
Apr 26, 2007
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Sengoku
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Stellaris Sign-up
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Commander: Conquest of the Americas
  • East India Company Collection
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • King Arthur II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Rome Gold
So I had a child of destiny born to my ruler. He went on to do great things, the most important for this thread is that he built the Wendish Empire. The Empire is made up of the Kingdoms of Lithuania, Estonia, Pomerania, Galicia-Volhyania, Poland, Saxony, and Kievan Rus as well as many... many other Duchia. He's currently the Emperor and also King of Lithuania. All the Kingdoms, except for Kievan Rus belong to his sons or his grandsons.

I'm probably going to be the only one to ever ask this as I did some searching first and only found people asking how to keep their Empire together. For game play, I want the Empire to split up and each of the Kingdoms become independent when the Emperor dies.

It's a tribal empire, though three of the counties have castles and were given to the son who is also King of Saxony. As a tribal, it's currently under Eldership. Sense he was a Child of Destiny, pretty much everyone within the Empire loves him, so all the Elders vote with him. I've currently got the game saved with the chance to change the succession laws, options are Gavelkind and Electic Gavelkind.

I've never in my 1000+ hours of playing, I've never worked my way up to Emperor (almost always start as a Count or single county Duke) and so I'm in a bit over my head here now that my Emperor is getting on in years. It would be easy to do if I get warning he's about to die, but that only happens if he dies during an event. Consider his dueling score has passed 200 now, he's not likely going to die as a result of a duel and because he's the leader of a warrior society, he can't be killed in battle either.

So I had a child of destiny born to my ruler. He went on to do great things, the most important for this thread is that he built the Wendish Empire. The Empire is made up of the Kingdoms of Lithuania, Estonia, Pomerania, Galicia-Volhyania, Poland, Saxony, and Kievan Rus as well as many... many other Duchia. He's currently the Emperor and also King of Lithuania. All the Kingdoms, except for Kievan Rus belong to his sons or his grandsons.

I'm probably going to be the only one to ever ask this as I did some searching first and only found people asking how to keep their Empire together. For game play, I want the Empire to split up and each of the Kingdoms become independent when the Emperor dies.

It's a tribal empire, though three of the counties have castles and were given to the son who is also King of Saxony. As a tribal, it's currently under Eldership. Sense he was a Child of Destiny, pretty much everyone within the Empire loves him, so all the Elders vote with him. I've currently got the game saved with the chance to change the succession laws, options are Gavelkind and Electic Gavelkind.

I've never in my 1000+ hours of playing, I've never worked my way up to Emperor (almost always start as a Count or single county Duke) and so I'm in a bit over my head here now that my Emperor is getting on in years. It would be easy to do if I get warning he's about to die, but that only happens if he dies during an event. Consider his dueling score has passed 200 now, he's not likely going to die as a result of a duel and because he's the leader of a warrior society, he can't be killed in battle either.
ently hold the Kingdoms of Estonia, Sweden, Saxony,
That's easy, just grant independence to the kingdoms once your character dies. Outside of that, you'd have to do shenanigans like destroying the empire title, or letting the land drift away.

Grant independence to as many vassals as you can and enact Elective Gavelkind. EG makes it possible that pretenders split off into independent kingdoms if they control more than 50% of its de-jure area, which should help with breaking off de-jure kingdoms within your Empire. Well to be honest I'm not entirely sure that they break de-jure kingdoms, but hey, it's definitely going to hurt the Empire a lot regardless.

Remember that empire laws and kingdom laws are separate, so you need to change them across the board, not just for your empire, if you want to create as much splitting as possible.

This is actually a really nice idea to create more difficulty. I might simply swap to Elective Gavelkind in the future to create some internal struggles even when I start overpowering everyone.