Hearts of Iron IV - Developer Diary 8 - Experience and Variants

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice DD. I guess by the placement of the industry icons that this is basically just a temporary interface, but will there be any other way besides the "#/year" metric to deduce when a ship is being completed? While unit per time is a useful value to see in itself even for ships, it'd be a bit cumbersome to have to keep track of when you started each ship to know when it'd be done.

To do what with? What are your ideas? Do you really think any country once in WW2 gave a care about money?

They did actually, one of the reasons for operation market garden was that the allies wanted to end the war as quickly as possible, since the UK's national debt was skyrocketing and they were close to bankruptcy.

national-debt-percent-1900-12.png

Nice DD. I guess by the placement of the industry icons that this is basically just a temporary interface, but will there be any other way besides the "#/year" metric to deduce when a ship is being completed? While unit per time is a useful value to see in itself even for ships, it'd be a bit cumbersome to have to keep track of when you started each ship to know when it'd be done.

yeah, there is supposed to be a progress bar, but we dont have that yet. its also supposed to show the estimated launch date. its alpha :)

when you ad an engine or create more deckspace. will you know how much faster the ship will go or how many planes it will ad on the deck. Is there a pop-up when you "hover" your mouse on top of the +1 button?

Not to nitpick here, but shouldn't the Italians be making Oriani class destroyers by this time? The 3 Mariabellos were all built in WW1. I suppose you haven't yet assigned tech levels, so that would be the lvl 0 destroyer class for Italy.

Really like how the map is developing :) . Like the current colour scheme.

Reactions:
So for planes and tanks the theoretical research is new types of plane on chassis? What are the theoretical techs for navy then just types of craft e.g. DD, CL, ... or is there a DD-2 hull with significant benefits? Do the non-theoretical techs cross over from tank to tank ship to ship? (Land AA to ship AA?!)

(Soo many questions!)

They did actually, one of the reasons for operation market garden was that the allies wanted to end the war as quickly as possible, since the UK's national debt was skyrocketing and they were close to bankruptcy.

View attachment 113012

Money during the war meant nothing. And bankruptcy during the war meant nothing. Do you really think UK gives up just because they go bankrupt?

And then how do you handle countries like Germany? They weren't actually paying many of the people forced to work in their factories now were they?

Money in a WW2 game is useless. The only thing that mattered was production capacity and raw material.

View attachment 113012
HoI4 is game about WW2 and unless post-war restoration becomes part of the game, this is really not important stuff

Why would adding armor increase the chances of a critical hit. That doesn't make sense. Also, those colors look too washed out to me. Use darker colors. Please no pink UK.

How dangerous will crit hits be?

What actually hinders you from saving all exp and put it all on one supership something like H-44, rather high chance for crit even if it would have maxed reliability, low speed even with max engine, cost to build it, H-44 would not have been a cheap ship.

Why would adding armor increase the chances of a critical hit. That doesn't make sense. Also, those colors look too washed out to me. Use darker colors. Please no pink UK.

Maybe its about that more weight would make the ship easier to break if they are heavly damage.

I don't really understand why money was brought up in this thread. It is maybe something important to discuss in another thread (and it has been already), but let's just concentrate on the DD maybe?

On topic, I would be really curious what the areas for improvement on each ship are. I am assuming armor, reliability and engines stay for everything. Probably main armament in place of deck space? Will ASW, radar, and fire control be handled via tech or upgrades on ships?