• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

RobRoy3

Recruit
16 Badges
Mar 21, 2001
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Europa Universalis III: Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
Has anyone played enough to suggest a country that might be a good candidate for a "hands-off" game?

I already have the game, but haven't really had much chance to play it. I often like to play Paradox games "hands-off" on highest speed, especially when learning the mechanics, to see what the AI does when I'm not mucking about with history, myself. Some games work better than others, but I'm wondering if it's realistic with MotE?

For almost any country I've considered (Sardinia? Wallachia? Ottomans?) seem like they are still on someone's hit list and/or their inactivity COULD have an impact on the game's progression, even if slight.

Best solution would be a dedicated "hands-off" option via console, but I don't think that exists. Though I do note, with happiness, that "debug fow" works, making "hands-off" feasible, at least.

Spain is an interesting nation because they start out with the game-play possibilities of a major, decent manpower and income. They are 'behind' the lines with France as a wall so you can comfortably experiment with combat mechanics fighting in Italy while not needing to fight off constant invasions. They also have decent enough-income that you can have some experimentation with a naval in addition to your tutorial in Italy, where you will soon learn the combat mechanics of terrain (don't attack mountains), keep forces in reserve to have a defended position from which you can fall back on, how to set up rally points a safe distance behind each front to have a constant supply of fresh forces into the area.

France, on the other hand, despite being very powerful, is very difficult to play as. You have to constantly keep your eyes glued to 2-3 different fronts at a time, micromanaging battles in each one.

That's why, I'm hoping it will become a common MP house-rule that France is typically a 'co-op' nation in multiplayer games, perhaps where there newest guy is put in as a subordinate co-op player where he can learn the ropes, handling the northern or southern France, etc.

I've found Morocco is the best for a handsoff game. Spain will probably invade you at some point for Tangiers, but if you give them it then everyone will leave you alone.

Try Portugal, and immediately try to lose a war against Spain or France and make yourself a satellite state of theirs. That or Tuscany might be the easiest ways I think, but it depends on how the game progresses.

I'd suggest Algeria. Aside of spain and some revolts noone will bother you and they first have to attack morrocco

Good thoughts, thanks.

Sounds like the North Africans are probably the best bets for a pure "hands-off" game. The other thoughts re Portugal and Spain are good when I progress to a learning game. Too bad there doesn't seem to be a country like Cyprus in EU3 - perfect for pure hands-off since no one EVER bothered you, and you could progress at your leisure to explore trade, diplomacy, combat and even colonization. Maybe Algeria will be close.

I didn't register that the HRE was a playable nation!? <surprised> Shouldn't the HRE be Austria until Nappy disbands it? And aren't any of their territories high on hit lists for France, Prussia, and Austria?

I didn't register that the HRE was a playable nation!? <surprised> Shouldn't the HRE be Austria until Nappy disbands it? And aren't any of their territories high on hit lists for France, Prussia, and Austria?

Well, I played my first game as Austria and one of my satellites was the HRE, actually! It does seem a bit odd, but there you go. And they really don't have many provinces and in the game I played no one seemed too interested in them. Maybe they aren't playable, I haven't tried.

"HRE" represent all the micro states under the holy roman empire, paradox didn't felt like creating 300 different german minors scattered across 3 provinces :p

As for the hands off game, i tried it, and well it's totally uninteresting, the AI can't play against itself, when it manages to win a war the peace deals are totally nonsensical (it always take random provinces instead of the closer ones)

And basically any war come done to a giant benny hill game .

2AF51223D86167C92F89965454368C15E641E8D5

Basically the AI isn't even trying to pursue its objectives. Notice how france didn't go after the german minors;

Basically the AI isn't even trying to pursue its objectives. Notice how france didn't go after the german minors;
Well, that's disappointing! It's exactly why I wanted to try a few hands-off games, before investing the time (too late for the money) in the game. My measure of a Paradox product, is whether a hands-off game results in borders that are even remotely plausible. I must say those don't really fit the bill.

Is that Tunisia you're playing as?

Yeah tunisia has no strategic relevance whatsoever, no one will target it unless you deliberately take action.

This is definitely a good multiplayer game, but it's worthless in solo atm.

Looks like Russia's going after its objectives with taking Danzig and Warsaw from Prussia at least.

Displeased to report the AI is as idiotic as ever.

344xkec.jpg

I played as Morroco, by the way, and was not bothered by anyone in any way, until Spain finally attacked me in the final year of the game.

Displeased to report the AI is as idiotic as ever.

View attachment 74384

I played as Morroco, by the way, and was not bothered by anyone in any way, until Spain finally attacked me in the final year of the game.

Just ran a hands-off game as Tunisia, seems like a perfect choice as it did not attract any notice at any time (Tripoltania got oddly snatched by GBR)

But yes, the AI seems to take mostly random province clusters, France mostly ignores the whole purpose of the time period, and the rest of the world squabbles ineffectively to reach 4th place...

All that said I have still had immense fun micromanaging my own warfront in the not hands-off game I played last night and look forward to trying to find a friend for a MP round while pathces and mods fill in the gaps.