• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Hello everyone. I'm having a quite troublesome time with my map. It took ages to get past the CTDs, but I finally did it!

And then when the game finishes loading the vanilla map appears instead of my map. I'm at a loss as to why this is happening; there are no errors in the logs about this as far as I can tell.

Hi, my game fails to load up and always crashes at "Loading Graphics" I've guarenteed thst all my .bmps are uniform and correctly formatted, my error log ends with "[virtualfilesystem.cpp:753]: Could not open file: gfx/flags/flagfilescolor.txt, error: filename is illegal or insecure". And above that it is a mess of Duchies not found etc.. Any help would be immensely appreciated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    77,1 KB · Views: 4
I have been looking into using Nudge, I haven't had the chance to enable it yet (not at home PC) but I fail to see how it would help as the wiki displays it as an in-game tool, and I can not still get in-game. I am going to look at port positions asap, cheers.

I have been looking into using Nudge, I haven't had the chance to enable it yet (not at home PC) but I fail to see how it would help as the wiki displays it as an in-game tool, and I can not still get in-game. I am going to look at port positions asap, cheers.
There is a good chance that what you see in the log is not what crashes your game before you get to the menu. A very good one.

I fixed all of the issues that I have posted about above, I don't want to make it seem like I'm overposting in here, but this forum seems like one of the only active places where I can get assistance for total conversion mod settings.
I'm getting crashes right as it is about to initialise in-game, I have already replaced titles so I don't understand why I'm getting these errors. Any help is greatly appreciated here.

Attachments

• error.log
    93,4 KB · Views: 4
I fixed all of the issues that I have posted about above, I don't want to make it seem like I'm overposting in here, but this forum seems like one of the only active places where I can get assistance for total conversion mod settings.
I'm getting crashes right as it is about to initialise in-game, I have already replaced titles so I don't understand why I'm getting these errors. Any help is greatly appreciated here.
Notice that the 1st page of 'invalid title' errors all say they are in "file: dlc_metadata/dlc_characters/00_dlc_characters.txt". That file lists the "special" characters that appear on the selection screen. You'll need to edit it to remove all the bad titles.

Also, all those duchies/counties "defined in region X" are in the region file. You'll need to remove those too.

Hi! First of all, thanks for the excellent tutorial. Secondly, I'd like to ask for some help with an issue I'm having.
My map is essentially a zoomed-in version of the vanilla map so I didn't expect much trouble with it. In my first dirty attempt, I just resized all the maps without anti-aliasing except for the rivers map which still had anti-aliasing. Now, this initial attempt actually loaded up with the one test province and worked fine. Now that I'm trying to make a more refined job, I've set up a simple earth/sea map for the rivers.bmp like in the tutorial but the game crashes on Loading Rivers. I've looked in the error log and I can only see the Not enough Holy Sites error which shouldn't be a problem.
Do you have any suggestions about what I might be doing wrong? Is there some other log file I could send that would help?
Many thanks!

Ok, I'm at my wit's end. I've been messing with CK2 for years now and am currently working on a new map project and am running into problems with default.map (or one of the files referenced in it). I originally used ck2generator and a custom heightmap to create a working randomized mod. From there, I deleted all the randomized province/title/character information and have begun inputting my own provinces using my trusty copy of Photoshop CS2 and the mapfiller tool. When I first used this tool years ago on a different problem I kept running into CTD problems and somehow figured out that by deleting default.map I could get around them and load the game successfully. While this works well enough during the mapping process, I need a solution to diagnose what is wrong with my default.map. The default.map generated by the map filler leads to a CTD while still loading the game. I rightly guessed that this had to do with the ocean region info inside, so I deleted that and tried again. This time, the game booted fine and allowed me to select my character, but crashed with the loading bar full, just before it was about to zoom in. the various text files associated with default.map are emptied out (island_region.txt, geographical_region.txt, continent.txt, climate.txt) or taken from vanilla (seasons.txt and terrain.txt), except for positions.txt, which I have been modding successfully with nudge.

If anyone has any idea what might be going on here, I'd love some help. I can share files if that would be helpful.

Ok, I'm at my wit's end. I've been messing with CK2 for years now and am currently working on a new map project and am running into problems with default.map (or one of the files referenced in it). I originally used ck2generator and a custom heightmap to create a working randomized mod. From there, I deleted all the randomized province/title/character information and have begun inputting my own provinces using my trusty copy of Photoshop CS2 and the mapfiller tool. When I first used this tool years ago on a different problem I kept running into CTD problems and somehow figured out that by deleting default.map I could get around them and load the game successfully. While this works well enough during the mapping process, I need a solution to diagnose what is wrong with my default.map. The default.map generated by the map filler leads to a CTD while still loading the game. I rightly guessed that this had to do with the ocean region info inside, so I deleted that and tried again. This time, the game booted fine and allowed me to select my character, but crashed with the loading bar full, just before it was about to zoom in. the various text files associated with default.map are emptied out (island_region.txt, geographical_region.txt, continent.txt, climate.txt) or taken from vanilla (seasons.txt and terrain.txt), except for positions.txt, which I have been modding successfully with nudge.

If anyone has any idea what might be going on here, I'd love some help. I can share files if that would be helpful.
Can be that the default.map is not correct anymore. The map filler tool generates files for a CK2 version months/years back. Not enormously much has changed since then but it helps to compare with the vanilla files.
Did you fix up all the events already? I used ck2generator a few weeks ago and it very quickly crashes when being played - unless you switch to observer mode.

Can be that the default.map is not correct anymore. The map filler tool generates files for a CK2 version months/years back. Not enormously much has changed since then but it helps to compare with the vanilla files.
Did you fix up all the events already? I used ck2generator a few weeks ago and it very quickly crashes when being played - unless you switch to observer mode.

I've discovered a fix, but I think there may still be an underlying problem. My map currently has 682 provinces, but when I changed the max province number at the top of defaut.map to 2015 (the number in vanilla default.map), the game loaded up without issue. I have no idea why this might be the case, since other working mods (like GoT) have province numbers lower than the vanilla number. Anyway, this is good enough for me, for now. As for the ck2generator crashes, my game usually gets past the 4th day crash but does tend to fail at some point after that. I assume this probably has to do with vanilla events firing or other vanilla material I haven't meticulously removed. I'll get there eventually, but first, I have to finish filling the map.

Finally, let me just say THANK YOU for the tutorials you've made over the years, and for the map filler tool, without which I never would have dared attempt a new map of my own.

Hello there!

Well, I got a small question you guys perhaps know to answer: My map mod does work properly with every aspect but there are some cosmetical errors I want to purge. First of all I got some clipping(?) bugs when zooming out (see attached file) and don't know what causes them. All files are saved/worked on according the game's specs.

Besides, this is rather a general question than cosmetics. Why do islands have their coloured border on shore when not bordering another province or why do islands splitted with two or more provinces don't show their borders at shore but only on land? Honestly I don't like both versions mixed. Either all islands always bordered or not. Preference for me would be no borders on shore at all. Is that possible?

Another question just came up: Might be wrong thread but why the hell are my localisations not working? I changed all files accordingly but always get vanilla's Irish province names.

Thanks in advance
Regards

Attachements:

"Clipping" around shores. The hell?
1.jpg

Different border styles. First with no land borders, second with.
2.jpg 3.jpg

I had the same problem with too small rivers, but in my case it were some stray black pixles, that were left over from coloring the sea with pink. Check that you don't have some unconected 1 pixel rivers/lakes. The river needs to be 1 pixel wide, but it must be connected by sides, not by corners (diagonally). Maybe post your rivers.bmp

Ummm i have a problem. The game crashes upon creating rivers and the error.log says

[map.cpp:745]: Strait First Parameter Not Valid! Line: 2

and then bunch of stuff about lands like:

[bookmarks.cpp:253]: k_france is not a valid title.
file: dlc_metadata/dlc_characters/00_dlc_characters.txt line: 5
[bookmarks.cpp:253]: k_lotharingia is not a valid title.
file: dlc_metadata/dlc_characters/00_dlc_characters.txt line: 24
[bookmarks.cpp:253]: k_lombardy is not a valid title.
file: dlc_metadata/dlc_characters/00_dlc_characters.txt line: 43

which i think is irrelevant here.

What does that mean?

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm having the same problem as Sp1c3. Consistent CTD at the creating rivers step and the error log reads "Strait First Parameter Not Valid! Line: 2" and then the same errors regarding existing titles being invalid. By adding adjacencies to the file in the map folder I've managed to get the first error to change to Line:2/3/4/etc. It seems to just flag the first blank line as an error.

In the .mod file I've added replace_paths for bookmarks, history, titles, landed titles, dlc_metadata, and yet the error log still flags them up as being missing. This is my first Paradox mod so I feel like it's an issue with the .mod file but I'm not sure.

I'm trying to make a map of my own but I am consistently getting "Province 0 has invalid origin" when I try to run the game. There is no province 0. If I change the province numbers to go from 0 upwards (instead of 1 upwards) the highest numbered province instead has an invalid origin.

I can't find anyone who can answer this question and every time I've seen it asked on the internet it's gone unanswered. This is really getting silly. :(

I'm trying to make a map of my own but I am consistently getting "Province 0 has invalid origin" when I try to run the game. There is no province 0. If I change the province numbers to go from 0 upwards (instead of 1 upwards) the highest numbered province instead has an invalid origin.

I can't find anyone who can answer this question and every time I've seen it asked on the internet it's gone unanswered. This is really getting silly. :(
How many provinces do you have?
What do you have max_provinces set to in default.map?