• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Streuselkuchen said:
i just tried it and it works very well. though i now have the problem that the game crashes on october 22 1838. anyone know what happens at that date? maybe the independence of hannover from uk?

Yup, if the german states are fighting that'll cause a CTD.

Am I doing something wrong I can't build the factories that you are showing. Do I need to play the VIP GC?

Last edited:
Darkrenown said:
Yup, if the german states are fighting that'll cause a CTD.

Having Hanoves as your satelite, not the UK's, should take care of that? Or at least, it did in my game, just hit them early in 1837.

Lord G. Q. White said:
Am I doing something wrong I can't build the factories that you are showing. Do I need to play the VIP GC?

The only 2 reasons I can think of you wouldn't be able to build all those factories is (1) you forgot to set MPs to buy to 50 on day 1 and therefore only have the 30 you started with, or (2) you're running our of iron. If it's the former, you'll just need to build a steel factory instead of clothing at some point to save on machine parts. If you're running out of iron, just unpause the game for 2-3 days and let yourself buy more from the world market, then go back to building. I'm playing the vanilla GC, not VIP, so that shouldn't matter.

Strategist said:
Good work lamprey... I see you changed some parts of your strategy from the start of our EA game...

I certainly did. I guess I learned a few things in the last 2-3 months. Not in the least due to our EA game :D

Everyone who's posted corrections, thanks much ;)

These factories are all covered under Freedom of Trade tech, and I'm sure Prussia starts with that technology. Not having played VIP much I can't say this with certainty, but I heard that where vanilla Vicky inventions automatically allow for certain technologies/abilities, VIP handles it all through inventions. It might be that you simply need to wait a month or 2 for the invention allowing you those factories to fire.

Or, do what I do: download Darkrenown's excellent German unification mod (link's in his signature, he even posted in this thread), apply it to a non-VIP version of Vicky and play that instead. I'm part of the minority it seems, the people who don't much like VIP and almost never play it :p

Lamprey said:
These factories are all covered under Freedom of Trade tech, and I'm sure Prussia starts with that technology. Not having played VIP much I can't say this with certainty, but I heard that where vanilla Vicky inventions automatically allow for certain technologies/abilities, VIP handles it all through inventions. It might be that you simply need to wait a month or 2 for the invention allowing you those factories to fire.

Or, do what I do: download Darkrenown's excellent German unification mod (link's in his signature, he even posted in this thread), apply it to a non-VIP version of Vicky and play that instead. I'm part of the minority it seems, the people who don't much like VIP and almost never play it :p

In VIP It works fine. Maybe Darkrenowns German Unification Mod gives them the tech that is needed to build the rest. So The Basic Vanillia doesn't have it.

Nice work, looked a bit like an AAR :) Unfortunately I discovered I did nearly everthing wrong in my game with Prussia... It's time to do it all over again I guess!
One question though, why don't you care about the MIL and CON of your POPs, setting your poor taxes at 60%? Do you make any political/social reforms to compromise?

Lord G. Q. White said:
In VIP It works fine. Maybe Darkrenowns German Unification Mod gives them the tech that is needed to build the rest. So The Basic Vanillia doesn't have it.

You're mistaken:
pru_facts.jpg

No VIP, no uni mod

Exactly which factories can't you build and where are you trying to build them?

If you act quickly, you can go after the bigger German minors too. It takes them three months to mobilize, and they can't use troops from provinces you've already occupied. To prepare for my War of German Unification, I built 6 guard divisions out of Sigmaringen (conveniently located in the middle of larger German minors) and assigned my best general to them. By the time the war was over in early 1839, there were only five remaining German minors, each with a single province. Another advantage of this strategy is that you earn a lot of extra prestige from satelliting the minors.

During the war:
ScreenSave1.png

After the war:
ScreenSave4.png

This is definately the way to go with Prussia. A few comments:

1) If you want to avoid a lot of badboy while gobbling up the minors, you can annex the ones you really want (sulfur producing Mainz and the iron producing ones such as Saxony and the two iron-producing minors in Sachsen) and then Humiliate (and War Indeminities) the others. If you are content to do this, you can avoid mobilizing (which is hideous, economically), wait a five years while your badboy declines, then annex a few more. With Humiliation, you'll get 100 prestige (just as if Annexing) and you'll be able to attack again without a prestige loss. In the long run, you'll get more prestige this way, you'll be safer, and your economy will be stronger.

2) Once you have the sulfur from Mainz, it can be profitable to reopen at least the ammo and fertilizer factories. I often keep the military industries open even if they are unprofitable so pops won't merge and I can keep increasing my reserve pool.

3) Netherlands is often willing to sell you iron-producing Luxembourg for a tech and some cash or two techs if you refuse to sign the Treaty of London.

4) I favor Hamburg as the trigger point for the minor wars. It's too far away for any allies to assist it, you don't want to annex it yet (it's part of the state of Schliesweg-Holstein instead of some more desirable state) and it is in the Prussia sphere of influence instead of the austrian one.

Yikes! I'd hate to imagine the badboy in the above screen post. I favor a slower pace... one of the side benefits of which is that you don't have to tax anyone above 50%.

MisterKurtz said:
Yikes! I'd hate to imagine the badboy in the above screen post. I favor a slower pace... one of the side benefits of which is that you don't have to tax anyone above 50%.
To prevent anyone from attacking me due to the badboy points (I had around 30 after the War of German Unification), I always expand my reserves every 6 months, which is why I think I had 40 reserve divisions ready for the war, along with the 28 or so divisions in my standing army. Four decades later in that same game, I had 372 standing divisions, 80% of which were infantry, and not a single native among them. Almost half were artillery and less than two dozen had no attached brigade (the ones I started the game with or inherited from the minors). Horrendously expensive to maintain, but worth it knowing you could crush Britain like a bug within months.

I never tax above 50% either. Because of the enormous amount of prestige I earned, I used it to sell techs to Austria and Russia after the war for around 10 grand each. I especially like to sell them railroad techs, but techs that boost their factory efficiency are also good. Only the weak colonize Africa, the strong colonize Europe. The more railroads in Austria and Russia, the faster I'll be able to conquer them, and the more money they earn, the bigger the reparations I'll earn.