• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Skeletr0nKing

Second Lieutenant
21 Badges
Mar 2, 2023
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Prison Architect
  • Stellaris: Megacorp
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Magicka
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Tyranny: Archon Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Stellaris
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
What if the display was changed.

Armies represented by the static miniature alien species portraits with a small icon underneath representing their army type+ a weapon type icon attached in front of them that's unique to their army type.
Armies advance and start firing, using their weapon range (determined by the army type)
Some army units have armor, shields, point defense, evasion, etc. All the same stats as ships.
Give army types missile, laser and ballistic weapon. Add a melee weapon to some units if they end up clashing right next to the enemy or if it's their preferred attack method (xenomorphs).
New units enter the battle from the reserve.

All units having different weapons, engagement range and defenses + unique racial or planetary bonuses could result in complex mechanics when attacking/invading, and the actual display of it all with the species shooting guns would make it much more clear what's going on.

Add a slider to set at the start of the game how resilient army units are going to be against bombardment, ranging from making them irrelevant to making ground combat a necessity until planet and system crackers are out.

I can't describe what I'm seeing in more detail, I'm not a game artist, but I think this could be made to look much better than the current display and make it fun to see invasions go off

Also you could design custom armies changing modules if it the system factored enough fun to warrant it. Not talking warhammer miniature customization level, but some basic things could be done.

Reactions:
Upvote 0
So basically turn army combat into fleet combat?

I would rather just love to see some army hierarchy of some armies able to better deal with one type but doing worse against another type.
So depending on who you fight, you need to pick more carefully which army you use.

E,g. Robot armies defeat regular armies but do worse against psionic armies as they don't quite know how to counter the telekinesis used on them.

Also, remove morale as it just makes armies who don't use it clearly better.
You can replace it with army cohesion and give EVERY army that, so all armies are on equal footing.

They are armies, they have hundreds of thousands of weapons, they should have all known weapon roles available to them, same for defences.

It also doesn't open up any new tactics, it just fills up a bunch of dev time and added clutter for the UI when it results in the same gameplay: drop doom stack on world.

It also doesn't make it any more clear what is going on. They are armies fighting across a world, with civilians and the planets infrastructure getting in the way. Having an icon shooting a weapon doesn't give it any more significance than the current system.

Reactions: