• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
RELee said:
I just want you to know how awesome you have made this utility. Thanks. :cool:
I second that one. I wouldn't have started playing again without it!

By the way, I've just tested the 5.2 version and encountered some format problems (the 4.3 worked well), so I figured out it had something to do with the <Country Type> line.

If I use the 4.3 it splits POP. If I use the 5.2 without the Country Type line (with a 4.3 config for example) it reads "completed" but it actually splits no POP. If I use the 5.2 with the Country Type line, it crashes due to incorrect format.

Since the 4.3 does work with my French software, it seems a format problem (dot and comma) was reintroduced in the 5.2 version (at least for French software).

EDIT:
I changed my local settings and set them to American. The 5.2 version worked perfectly. Therefore your code isn't flawed, but there's definitely a dot/comma problem.

Last edited:
Ldvs said:
I second that one. I wouldn't have started playing again without it!

By the way, I've just tested the 5.2 version and encountered some format problems (the 4.3 worked well), so I figured out it had something to do with the <Country Type> line.

If I use the 4.3 it splits POP. If I use the 5.2 without the Country Type line (with a 4.3 config for example) it reads "completed" but it actually splits no POP. If I use the 5.2 with the Country Type line, it crashes due to incorrect format.

Since the 4.3 does work with my French software, it seems a format problem (dot and comma) was reintroduced in the 5.2 version (at least for French software).

EDIT:
I changed my local settings and set them to American. The 5.2 version worked perfectly. Therefore your code isn't flawed, but there's definitely a dot/comma problem.

This is very strange, as I'm Danish and uses the danish format, (which is comma).

If you don't mind it would be great if you could post the error text, and the content of your config file

Edit: One more thing
If you use the 5.2 version and leave the config file empty it doesn't do anything.
It will allways only split the countries which you have specified by their tags.

Not sure it will help you as the error message is in French, but here it is:

Code:
Consultez la fin de ce message pour plus de détails sur l'appel du débogage
juste-à-temps (JIT) à la place de cette boîte de dialogue.

************** Texte de l'exception **************
System.FormatException: Le format de la chaîne d'entrée est incorrect.
   à System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
   à System.Number.ParseDouble(String value, NumberStyles options, NumberFormatInfo numfmt)
   à System.Double.Parse(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
   à System.Double.Parse(String s)
   à POPSplitter.Form1.splitPOPs(String inputFile, String outputFile)
   à POPSplitter.Form1.specificParse(String inputFile, String outputFile)
   à POPSplitter.Form1.begin_Button_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   à System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   à System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   à System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Assemblys chargés **************
mscorlib
    Version de l'assembly*: 2.0.0.0
    Version Win32*: 2.0.50727.832 (QFE.050727-8300)
    CodeBase*: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
POPSplitter
    Version de l'assembly*: 1.0.0.0
    Version Win32*: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase*: file:///D:/Games/Victoria/scenarios/save%20games/POPSplitter.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase*: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    CodeBase*: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase*: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
mscorlib.resources
    CodeBase*: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
System.Windows.Forms.resources
    Version Win32*: 2.0.50727.42 (RTM.050727-4200)
    CodeBase*: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms.resources/2.0.0.0_fr_b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.resources.dll

************** Débogage JIT **************
Pour activer le débogage juste-à-temps (JIT), le fichier de configuration pour cette
application ou cet ordinateur (machine.config) doit avoir la valeur
jitDebugging définie dans la section system.windows.forms.
L'application doit également être compilée avec le débogage
activé.

Par exemple*:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

Lorsque le débogage juste-à-temps est activé, les exceptions non gérées
seront envoyées au débogueur JIT inscrit sur l'ordinateur
plutôt que d'être gérées par cette boîte de dialogue.

The config file is the one that goes with the standard package.

If it's of any help, when I remove the <> before the Country Type, I no longer encounter the format error but it does not split POP either.

N.B.: "Le format de la chaîne d'entrée est incorrect" means "the chain entry format is incorrect".

Anyway, if you don't find the problem, I know I can use the American local settings to use your file :)

Ldvs said:
Not sure it will help you as the error message is in French, but here it is:
I considered taking French back in high school, but choose German instead.
It’s not like it matters a whole lot anyway, because I don’t remember anything of what I learned. The only words I can remember In German are “Panzerkampfwagen, nicht schießen, Ich brauche ein Arzt, and Entdeckung bleiben.” (I’m not sure those are correctly spelled)

Ldvs said:
The config file is the one that goes with the standard package.

If it's of any help, when I remove the <> before the Country Type, I no longer encounter the format error but it does not split POP either.

N.B.: "Le format de la chaîne d'entrée est incorrect" means "the chain entry format is incorrect".

Anyway, if you don't find the problem, I know I can use the American local settings to use your file :)

The reason i doesn't do anything is because, the program ignores lines not in the "correct format".
(actually it looks for this "<COUNTRY", so you could leave out the last bracket in the first tag, if you really wanted to).

So that I understand clearly when and whats happening, could you tell me this.
when is the exception happening, when you start up the program, before you select a save. Or after you've selected a save and pressed the begin buton?

And you use the english version of the game (not that i think that would matter)

I can pick a save without any problem. When I press the button "Begin" it doesn't fail immediately. After 1 sec, it does. Either it's the time required to start parsing or it means the incorrect format line is not among the first lines of code.

Yes I use the English version of the game. Maybe that's why it comes at odds with the program.

4.3 worked just fine, so it's very likely related to your later additions.

Ldvs said:
I can pick a save without any problem. When I press the button "Begin" it doesn't fail immediately. After 1 sec, it does. Either it's the time required to start parsing or it means the incorrect format line is not among the first lines of code.
Yes It sounds like it's some way into to the save.

Ldvs said:
Yes I use the English version of the game. Maybe that's why it comes at odds with the program.
I'm using the english version, og the game, and I use danish settings, which means I should use the same SI standard as you do in France (I presume?).

So I'm not sure what's wrong, If you don't mind uploading your save game somewhere (perhaps Mediafire.com ), I'll se if I can figur out whats wrong.

Ldvs said:
4.3 worked just fine, so it's very likely related to your later additions.
Unfortunatly I rewrote all the code from scratch, so everything is new :)

Dietmar1982 said:
I'm using the english version, og the game, and I use danish settings, which means I should use the same SI standard as you do in France (I presume?).
If you write number like this:
100000 (100 000 in fact)
then yes.

It would be surprising if the output in the .eug was different given that we own the same version, but here you have:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8d1gb6gvdkw

It's an Austrian campaign, in which I have not started playing so that you can create a similar situation. Just in case, I tried to use the splitting utility, to no avail.

Ldvs said:
If you write number like this:
100000 (100 000 in fact)
then yes.

It would be surprising if the output in the .eug was different given that we own the same version, but here you have:
http://www.mediafire.com/?8d1gb6gvdkw

It's an Austrian campaign, in which I have not started playing so that you can create a similar situation. Just in case, I tried to use the splitting utility, to no avail.

It turns out we dont do it the same way. at least according to windows.
Apparently you do it like so 123 456,789
And in Denmark its 123.456,789

anyway, now i can reproduce it, I'll see if i can fix it

On the behalf of those sharing common traits with the French system, thanks for trying :)
Until I browsed the locals settings today, I didn't realise how many different ways there were to write numbers. That's ridiculous, if you ask me :D

merci

;)

Is the use of this known to mess up the industrialisation of countries (Britain in particular)? I assume not, but I've just started using it and am finding Britain failing to lay RR for at least a couple of decades. Wondered if it was to do with them dealing with the effects of all the unemployed pops, even though they do run a liberal regime. Also tried having it not split Indian pops to see if that made a difference, without success.

Mulhern said:
Is the use of this known to mess up the industrialisation of countries (Britain in particular)? I assume not, but I've just started using it and am finding Britain failing to lay RR for at least a couple of decades. Wondered if it was to do with them dealing with the effects of all the unemployed pops, even though they do run a liberal regime. Also tried having it not split Indian pops to see if that made a difference, without success.

Did you split capis or aristos pops ?

Mulhern said:

This isn't my experience with using the POP splitter, though I am having it only split farmers, labourers, craftsmen, clerks and soldiers. What I find is that it in fact helps to spur industrialization, by allowing AI nations to fill factories that may get built but not staffed. I've definitely not noticed Britain's capis having problems continuing RRing after using the splitter. Only thing I can think is that maybe you are splitting capi pops as well. I'd say leave all the upper class pops alone.

I left the pops alone in the config - <COUNTRY TYPE="clerks craftsmen farmers labourers slaves">

Prussia is also pretty heavily affected, whilst A-H and Russia seem fine. Perhaps its a chance thing. I suppose a few more games will help tell.

This sounds a little weird.

How offen do you split, (in game years)

One possible explanation could be, that in your earlier games the capies didn't use money on building factories because they couldn't staff them with workers. In your recent game with the splitter the factories are suddenly getting filled with workers, so the capies build more.

I can say that in all my games using this while playing the VIP beta, i've never had a problem with the GP's building RR.

Dietmar1982 said:
This sounds a little weird.

How offen do you split, (in game years)

One possible explanation could be, that in your earlier games the capies didn't use money on building factories because they couldn't staff them with workers. In your recent game with the splitter the factories are suddenly getting filled with workers, so the capies build more.

I can say that in all my games using this while playing the VIP beta, i've never had a problem with the GP's building RR.

I started off splitting at the start, but have tried leaving it a few years as well in case a bit of time was needed to let the economies stabilise. Didn't help.

I'm splitting... no more than every four years, no less than every eight.

It's possible money was being spent on factories, though in one, Britain seemed to come to a halt - various relatively little countries were becoming the leading producers of certain manufactured goods.

I should say, I'm using vanilla, here (aside from hotfixes, some colonial targeting alterations and insignificant event changes... Oh, and switched Britain's national value to Liberty).

Like I say, it is still possible that these are just a few (three or so) of strange games. Can't think why it might effect things, but I happen to have been playing as State Capitalists of late which is unusual for me. I might try and run a few handsoff, whilst splitting of course, and seeing what happens.

Mulhern said:
I started off splitting at the start, but have tried leaving it a few years as well in case a bit of time was needed to let the economies stabilise. Didn't help.

I'm splitting... no more than every four years, no less than every eight.

It's possible money was being spent on factories, though in one, Britain seemed to come to a halt - various relatively little countries were becoming the leading producers of certain manufactured goods.

I should say, I'm using vanilla, here (aside from hotfixes, some colonial targeting alterations and insignificant event changes... Oh, and switched Britain's national value to Liberty).

Like I say, it is still possible that these are just a few (three or so) of strange games. Can't think why it might effect things, but I happen to have been playing as State Capitalists of late which is unusual for me. I might try and run a few handsoff, whilst splitting of course, and seeing what happens.
Well, I guess the RR building will forever be a mystery to most of us :)

Please report back your future observations