• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Tom Morrison

Sergeant
Aug 15, 2020
The defeat of France gave Germany a large haul of captured tracked vehicles. When the need for mobile antitank weapons became acute, Germany mounted Skoda 47 mm A6 antitank guns onto 174 French R35 light tank chassis. The result was a vehicle comparable to the Panzerjäger I. Later, Germany would use 170 captured French Lorraine 37L artillery tractors as the basis of the Marder I, armed with the German 7.5 cm PaK 40. The use of captured materiel made these conversions highly cost-effective. Likewise, when the German Panzer divisions needed mobile artillery, Germany mounted 15 cm howitzers onto 106 captured French Lorraine 37L artillery tractors, which proved highly cost-effective.

The problem with coding these events is that HOI2 does not allow the addition of brigades without an associated division. I tried using "value = none" for the "add_division" command, but the game always assigns an infantry division. The solution was to add an infantry division that is two models behind the current value. Since each upgrade costs half the value of the new unit, two upgrades equal the full cost of buying a new division. Subtracting the Manpower cost for the infantry divisions and the self-propelled guns (AT and Art) means that Germany only gets the brigade equipment for free.

While it is in the interest of the German player to accept the free brigades, I included the choice to opt out to safeguard the exercise of free will in the game.

As always, feedback and comments are welcome.

Have fun and game on!

#########################################################################
# GER Converts Captured Weaponry to Tank Destroyers

event = {
id = 37959
random = no
country = GER

trigger = {
technology = 1040 # 1941 Infantry
technology = 2170 # Early Tank Destroyer
OR = {
event = 37957 # GER captures FRA weaponry, shares with ITA ally
event = 37958 # GER captures FRA weaponry, does not share
event = 2022 # GER returns VIC provinces
AND = { # GER controls all VPs in Metropolitan France
control = { province = 56 data = GER } # Paris
control = { province = 39 data = GER } # Caen
control = { province = 41 data = GER } # Le Havre
control = { province = 43 data = GER } # Dunkerque
control = { province = 44 data = GER } # Lille
control = { province = 73 data = GER } # Strasbourg
control = { province = 316 data = GER } # Mulhouse
control = { province = 320 data = GER } # Vichy
control = { province = 325 data = GER } # Bourdeaux
control = { province = 359 data = GER } # Toulouse
control = { province = 364 data = GER } # Marseilles
control = { province = 528 data = GER } # Lyon
}
}
}

name = "Tank Destroyers Use Captured French Chassis"
desc = "The defeat of France gave Germany a large haul of captured tracked vehicles. When the need for mobile antitank weapons became acute, Germany mounted Skoda 47 mm A6 antitank guns onto 174 French R35 light tank chassis. The result was a vehicle comparable to the Panzerjäger I. Later, Germany would use 170 captured French Lorraine 37L artillery tractors as the basis of the Marder I, armed with the German 7.5 cm PaK 40. The use of captured materiel made these conversions highly cost-effective."
style = 0
picture = "breaktroug_in_research"

date = { day = 15 month = january year = 1941 }
offset = 60
deathdate = { day = 15 month = november year = 1943 }

action_a = {
name = "Wonderful!"
ai_chance = 95

# Game does not allow creation of brigades without division. Tried "value = none" but the game just assigns an infantry division.
# Thus, I subtracted the Manpower required for the infantry divisions.
# I assume that by this point, GER has researched 1941 Infantry. I test for this condition to make sure.
# Two upgrades = Cost of buying a new infantry division, so I made the divisions 1936 Infantry.
# Thus, GER still has to pay the normal Manpower and IC cost for the infantry divisions, but gains "free" tank destroyers.
# GER had thousands of tank destroyers, but didn't deploy them in brigades or regiments.
# They deployed a company of tank destroyers to each infantry regiment in a division, and added a tank destroyer battalion as a division asset.
# The result was effectively two battalions of 18 tank destroyers per division, for a total of 36.
# Thus, I assessed that 36 tank destroyers were the equivalent of a tank destroyer brigade in game.
# While 344 / 36 = 9.56, I rounded down to 9 because some would be in school/training units and some would be in replacement depots.
# Making a separate event for the Marder conversions was not feasible because "add_division" command allows only model 0 brigades.

command = { type = add_division value = infantry when = 1 where = tank_destroyer }
command = { type = add_division value = infantry when = 1 where = tank_destroyer }
command = { type = manpowerpool value = -108 } # Equipment is free; personnel are not.
}

action_b = {
name = "Not Necessary"
ai_chance = 5
command = { } # Null command
}
}

# GER Converts Captured Weaponry to Self-Propelled Artillery

event = {
id = 37960
random = no
country = GER

trigger = {
technology = 1040 # 1941 Infantry
technology = 2220 # Early Self-Propelled Artillery
OR = {
event = 37957 # GER captures FRA weaponry, shares with ITA ally
event = 37958 # GER captures FRA weaponry, does not share
event = 2022 # GER returns VIC provinces
AND = { # GER controls all VPs in Metropolitan France
control = { province = 39 data = GER } # Caen
control = { province = 41 data = GER } # Le Havre
control = { province = 43 data = GER } # Dunkerque
control = { province = 44 data = GER } # Lille
control = { province = 73 data = GER } # Strasbourg
control = { province = 316 data = GER } # Mulhouse
control = { province = 320 data = GER } # Vichy
control = { province = 325 data = GER } # Bourdeaux
control = { province = 359 data = GER } # Toulouse
control = { province = 364 data = GER } # Marseilles
control = { province = 528 data = GER } # Lyon
}
}
}

name = "Self-Propelled Artillery Uses Captured French Chassis"
desc = "The defeat of France gave Germany a large haul of captured tracked vehicles. When the need for mobile artillery became acute, Germany mounted 15 cm howitzers onto 106 captured French Lorraine 37L artillery tractors, which proved highly cost-effective."
style = 0
picture = "breaktroug_in_research"

date = { day = 15 month = january year = 1941 }
offset = 60
deathdate = { day = 15 month = november year = 1943 }

action_a = {
name = "Wonderful!"
ai_chance = 95

# Game does not allow creation of brigades without division. Tried "value = none" but the game just assigns an infantry division.
# Thus, I subtracted the Manpower required for the infantry divisions.
# I assume that by this point, GER has researched 1941 Infantry. I test for this condition to make sure.
# Two upgrades = Cost of buying a new infantry division, so I made the divisions 1936 Infantry.
# Thus, GER still has to pay the normal Manpower and IC cost for the infantry divisions, but gains "free" self-propelled artillery.
# GER heavy self-propelled artillery were assigned 36 per regiment; 106 SP-Art = 3 regiments.

command = { type = add_division value = infantry when = 1 where = sp_artillery }
command = { type = add_division value = infantry when = 1 where = sp_artillery }
command = { type = manpowerpool value = -36 } # Equipment is free; personnel are not.
}

action_b = {
name = "Not Necessary"
ai_chance = 5
command = { } # Null command
}
}