• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Granted, the Jade Dragon does look impressive so far. I am just saying it looks like the CK2 team seems to be undermanned and underenthusiastic nowadays.

From my perspective CK2 is actually in the best shape of all current titles for the past couple years. Maybe it's something unique to CK's character focus and setup, but despite the engine creaking under the strain of so many features, the overall vision doesn't feel compromised by severe bloat the way EU4 does. And any AI issues are less noticeable than in the other games.

Granted, the Jade Dragon does look impressive so far. I am just saying it looks like the CK2 team seems to be undermanned and underenthusiastic nowadays.
I think its more that CK2 is ending. There's only like one DLC left after Jade

I think its more that CK2 is ending. There's only like one DLC left after Jade
Not so certain anymore. There was that DD about planned DLCs (https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/crusader-kings-2-dd-14-the-road-ahead.957206/), but this isn't up to date though, because since then Johan himself wrote:
Both CK2 and EU4 have no limit on when we plan to end. As long as you play and buy, we'll keep making expansions.
So it's not set in stone that CK2 will end anytime soon. Though I admit, winding down is to be expected.

My predictions:
Doomdark - CK3 - All the talk about last DLC for CK2, the conflict between those that wants an expanded map and those that feel it would slow computers too much, the fact that they spend resources on optimizing, and the issue that CK2 starts to feel a little weighted down design-wise by all the additions.

Shafer - Fantasy or Bronze Age 4X/GS, maybe even an Age of Mythology type GSG - I had already placed Shafer in the antiquity, and the interview made me consider fantasy/mythology.

King - A WWI game - WWI is hot now, and Kaiserreich is popular. Also, Paradox feeds on crushed V3 hopes. This the one that I'm most skeptical about, because March of Eagles flopped. On the other hand, there is V3, but I can't really see any killer features for it at this point. What else is there really? Cold War - meh. Dark Age - meh. Rome 2?

Cold War isn't meh if PDX can make a grand strategy where combat isn't the most important aspect fun (so basically what they did for V2 and hopefully V3). It's also a relatively untouched area in this type of game.

Another thing I thought of for non-historical grand strategy is a near future/modern GS. Though that's a lot harder to think of fun things to do than a fantasy one.

Wickedness Must Be Stamped Out!

Victoria 3 proselytizing intensifies...

Interesting, this welcome insight clarifies the positions of the various game directors!

Shafer - a micro transaction filled, loot box laden, fee to play MOBA.

Doomdark - korean style, subscription MMO with more grind than coffee shop.

King - half life 3.

Historically, I was basically the game director for every game we made until CK2, which was the first time someone else owned the creative vision of the game. Victoria 2 was almost entirely Chris King’s design, and if we’d had today’s organisation back then, he would have been GD of that game. Until the release of Stellaris, Henrik was the GD of that game, and until this week, I was the GD of EU4.

Our game-director team these days include the following people.

Chris ‘King’ King - Secret Project

Dan ‘podcat’ Lind - Hearts of Iron IV.
Henrik ‘Doomdark’ Fåhraeus - Crusader Kings 2 & Secret Project
Jake ‘DDRJake’ Leiper-Ritchie - Europa Universalis IV
Jon ‘Jon Shafer’ Shafer - Secret Project
Martin ‘Wiz’ Anward - Stellaris
Guys, you're making it too obvious here. So... is it gonna be announced in 2018 or 2019?

So it's not set in stone that CK2 will end anytime soon. Though I admit, winding down is to be expected.

Imo I feel like CK2 should wind down soon. It has had a pretty stellar run all things considered, and I'd like to see it set out to stud before the community is sick with it.
The game has been supported for an astonishing amount of time, which is awesome, but I'd like to see the CK manpower freed up to do something more interesting and risky than three more DLCs.

Imo I feel like CK2 should wind down soon. It has had a pretty stellar run all things considered, and I'd like to see it set out to stud before the community is sick with it.
The game has been supported for an astonishing amount of time, which is awesome, but I'd like to see the CK manpower freed up to do something more interesting and risky than three more DLCs.

Why? If CKII continues to generate a positive return on investment, one that is not risky, then why bother? It's got a solid player base, one that has shown continued interest in buying $30-$40 of DLC a year. There's nothing out there that can really compete with CKII. So what's the impetus for making a 3rd installment right now?

Why do you think Blizzard still hasn't made, or at least, announced WoW2?

They won't make CK3 until they think that it's RoI will be higher than their DLC releases.

Pacific Rim 2 is coming out, some guys seem to work on a [Edit]Knights of honor 2[/Edit], A certain magical index get's another season, age of empire 4 is announced and now Chris King is working on a secret project as GD, I am almost ready to really believe in a V3 right now, please don't crush it.

Last edited:
There was a mention in a CKII diary pre-Reaper's Due that they had (at the time) "two more expansions teed up [after number 12]". One being close to WoL in scope (Monks and Mystics), and one big meaty one (Jade Dragon). Then "it might really be time to let go, but it’s also possible we’ll wind down with another small expansion (nr 15)".

Plans do change (especially since this was over a year ago), but I would at least bet on that 15th expansion happening.

Capture.JPG

Victoria III confirmed