• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

elijy

Recruit
Nov 4, 2022
A wee OOC preface from myself!

Hello there, and welcome to my first AAR. I've always loved to write stories set in fictional universes, such as the Ice and Fire one, and have attempted to do so many times, unfortunately without ever publishing my efforts. You are as such witnessing the first time I ever dare to share my playthrough, with one of my favorite houses in Westeros, the Beesburys! Rest assured that it is an engaging and fun story, once the first chapter is over and done with, with the next lord - Matthos - being one of my favorite characters I have ever played with in my 1000+ hours in the CK2 A Game of Thrones mod. That said, it might be clear to you that I did not anticipate to write an AAR, since most characters are already dead or aged. Alas, it is as it is, I have to make due with what I have.

My AAR has failed to gain traction on Reddit, unfortunately, seeing as the format of -images in the text- really suffered the lack of a thumbnail, such as the one below. However, I had already resolved to post my work in the legendary Paradox forums! Let's see how it goes here.

Finally, I must admit to cheating, m'lords, but only for the good of the Realm RP! I have tweaked some stats for the heir, Lord Matthos, once he lost his stewardship education while learning at the Citadel: I'm not gonna lose that fortune_builder! Other than that I gave him a nickname and had to suffer through making the Night's Watch independent again. I'm also using More Bloodlines as a submod.

With all of that out of the way, let's begin! I encourage you all to give me feedback, both on the format and on the narrative itself, whatever you wish!​

Beesbury Thumbnail.png

(Honeyholt from Westeroscraft)

From the words of Archmaester Galways
The House of Beesbury of Honeyholt has been center-stage in the politics of the Reach for many generations, with their influence reaching even in King's Landing itself through the likes of Lord Lyman Beesbury, Ser Braxton and Ser Dickon Flowers.

With their stories already told, this small work will attempt at recounting the history of the Lords of Honeyholt that followed the great epidemic that was the Great Spring Sickness in the year 210 after Aegon's Landing.

I am bound by my Oath to the Citadel to mention that I have enjoyed a close friendship with Lord Matthos Beesbury for many years, whom I must thank for his help in compiling this work and assisting me in forging my first chains. In this capacity, however, I must consider him first of all as a peer and a colleague and, as such, I will strive to be as objective as I can in writing of the accomplishments of House Beesbury.

Archmaester Galways, 278 AL

Lord of Honeyholt.png

The Lord of Honeyholt, his wife and his dear friend Lord Abelar (Honeyholt from Westeroscraft)

I - After the Spring: Lord Lyonel of Honeyholt

Lord Lyonel Beesbury succeeded his Sickness-plagued Lord father Arros, as a man grown of six and ten in 212 AL. His father had been keen to educate him in Oldtown in the matters of court and politics, with the sole purpose of making him an influential Lord at the palaces of the Lord Hightower and Tyrell. Lord Lyonel had far succeeded the expectations, and had forged a strong bond with Lord Abelar, the heir to Oldtown. Together, their Lordships, had decided to use the wealth of their houses and the strength of their knights to upthrow the Tyrells, after they had declared themselves for the pretenders of Blackfyre in the Third Blackfyre Rebellion of 219 AL, dooming thousands of Reachmen knights and smallfolk to perish in their folly.

His Lordship was counselled all throughout these events by the graceful and wise Lady Estalia, whose love had bore him five healthy children: Lady Arra, Ser Matthos (who would inherit Honeyholt), Ser Ormond, Lady Jeyne and Ser Abelar Beesbury. She would live to see her sons and daughters succeed and prosper for many years, while also retaining the role of regent of the Castle and holdings of Honeyholt throughout her life. Her firstborn and heir to Honeyholt, Matthos, was first sent to Casterly Rock, to be educated in the matters of the court by Ser Gerold Lannister, and then bethroted in the year 223 AL to the Lady Leyla Hightower, sister to Lord Abelar, to consolidate the alliance between the two houses of Beesbury and Hightower in achieving their designs. Furthermore, Lord Lyonel sent his second son, Ormond, to squire for Lord Abelar himself and learn about warfare.​

Courtyard Children by Gaius31duke.png

The Children of Lord Lyonel (Art by Gaius31Duke)

Lord Abelar would not live to see his dreams accomplished, however, and died at the age of fourty and four, as his loyal friend was upriver to visit his family. While the Lord of the Hightower had wisely resolved that Lord Lyonel would become regent until his young son, Lord Jon, would become of age, the Lords of Balladon and Ten Towers conspired to snatch the power and seized the child. Lord Lyonel called his banners, determined to win back the regency and enforce the late Lord's will.

The conflict that followed saw the Houses of Beesbury and Hightower clash as they had not done since the days of the Dance of the Dragons. While the Oldtown forces moved by the Honeywine and torched the fields and hives of Honeyholt, Lord Lyonel won a strong victory at the siege of Balladon, seizing the castle and the holdings thereof as a payback for the destruction in his own lands. After leaving a strong garrison in the command of his son, Ser Ormond, he moved to Honeyholt to defend his people.​

Battle of the Honeywine.png

The Victory of the Hightower coalition on the fields between Honeyholt and Oldtown (Credits to? Couldn't find the author)

Triumphant on the field of battle below his castle, Lord Lyonel moved downriver towards Oldtown. Near the city, he was ambushed by a tenfold stronger force of Hightower mercenaries and knights, leading to his surrender and imprisonment. His influence bought him his life and the safety of his kin, and in the year 237 AL, stripped of all titles, Ser Lyonel was sent to the Wall, where he would spend the rest of his life first as a builder, then as Lord Steward, until finally being elected Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

While many had thought that the influence of House Beesbury in Oldtown would end with the exile of Lord Lyonel, the last thirty years show that his legacy would endure more than the Hightower's, the Blackbar's and the Cuy's: the strategic alliances he had set up between the Reachmen houses, and especially his son's marriage to Lady Leyla, would pave the way for the Beesbury enlightened hegemony that enriched both Oldtown and Honeyholt through the wise rule of Lord Matthos, whose son would eventually grow to inherit the Hightower itself.​

Looks like an interesting start...

What are your goals for this AAR?

Looks like an interesting start...

What are your goals for this AAR?
Thank you for the comment! I can't wait to show you the second part then, it's coming out great!

As regards to my goals, well, I did not anticipate writing an AAR. As such, I'm honestly just vibing with the story. While gaining power on your overlords usually fall under the regular "CK2 grind", this playthrough had something special, with every piece falling in line to make for a believable story. As such, I will continue simply experiencing it, with some leeway I will grant myself for the sake of drama.