• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter XX: The Siege of Alexandretta
April 1219

Alexandretta_wall.png

Osmond's plan was simple but risky; Yasir, being a known merchant around the region, travelled to Alexandretta with a few dozen men disguised as a caravan bringing in goods and started trading with what little they had managed to loot from the bandit's village. Three days later Osmond laid siege on the city, bombarding it with trebuchets from nearby hills. There were two primary gates to the city – one in the north and another situated in the south, and a smaller entrance at the eastern wall, mainly used by nearby farmers for bringing their goods to the market.

While the Hetoumis were to launch an assault against the northern wall and its main gate, Yasir and his small band of infiltrators were supposed to take over the small eastern gate and open it for Osmond's men, hidden around the countryside and the mountains nearby. If it would succeed, the Armenian forces could surround the city's defenders and proceed towards the castle, which was heavily fortified on its own and might require full concentration of forces. Besieging the city until it would run out of supplies was out of question, as it relied heavily on trade and the Cypriot navy was far too small to effectively lay a blockade on the city state.

“Who is it?” a man guarding the door inquired.

“It's us, let us in, quick!”

The door was opened and three men entered the small and dilapidated house, closing the door behind them with a haste.

“Sir, we believe the assault has begun”, one of the men gave his report, “there's a sense of panic in the streets and crowds are on the move, fleeing towards the safety of the castle walls.”

Yasir raised his eyes from a table full of papers, parchments and a large map he and his men had drawn of the city: “Just in time then. Tell rest of the men to get prepared, we will move out in a moment.”

After the siege had begun, Yasir and his group of 'merchants' had had to find a safe place to hide in as their presence was obviously suspicious. As a boulder from the Armenian trebuchets had crushed half of a local merchant's home, he had decided it was better to relocate inside the castle walls for the duration of the siege. His abandoned house provided excellent location for the reconnaissance force. They were 22 men in total and the merchant's home was large enough to accommodate them all, albeit it was quite cramped inside.

“Are you sure you can convince the guards to join our side, Nikephoros?” Yasir inquired the Greek they had saved from the bandits.

After returning to their camp, the man was given his own tent where he was looked after by an Armenian priest. He regained his strengths in a matter of days and revealed that he, Nikephoros Petraliphas, had been a high-ranking official in the Frankish court controlling Alexandretta, but had ran to conflict with the ruling dynasty over matters of religion.

The city had experienced a great influx of pilgrims and fortune seekers during its Catholic occupation, and as its economy became less and less reliable of the native Greek population, the crusaders started gradually instituting laws that gave benefits and privileges to the Catholic migrants.

As a devoted member of the Eastern Church, Nikephoros staunchly opposed the oppressive laws which made him popular among the commoners, but also gave him plenty of enemies inside the court.

One day he was sent on a diplomatic mission to the Armenian principality. He was told to use the dangerous coastal roads instead of travelling by sea as was customary, which made him suspicious. Yet, there was little he could have done to protest if he wished to keep his position. Nikepohoros suspects the bandits were paid to capture him as the guards fled as if they knew what would happen some time before the ruffians caught him. Now he had been freed, and was more than grateful to be able to help the Cypriot forces capture his home town and liberate it from the crusaders.

“Don't worry, Saracen”, Nikephoros answered to Yasir's question, “Just leave it to me. Security of the eastern gate is left to the militias, local men who hate the Franks almost as much as they hate the heathens.”

He had been cleaning a sword given to him and put it back to its sheath: “Believe me, most of the men in this city will be happy about a Greek takeover.”

He rose up and pointed towards the door: “Let's move.”

The men attracted little attention on the panic-filled streets and alleys as they headed towards the eastern wall. Although Osmond's army wasn't intentionally bombarding buildings inside the walls, plenty of rocks missed the walls and spread destruction upon hitting homes and businesses.

Small_gate.png

The gate was quite small; just wide enough for a carriage to ride through. It had been tightly sealed in case of the attackers trying to brake through it. There were no guards or soldiers on the ground level, and Yasir's men suspected they were staying in the safety of the gatehouse's small barracks.

They proceeded to the high stonewalls and opened an unlocked wooden door to the barracks. There were two sets of stars; one leading straight to the wall above them and another, windy one, to the living quarters and its small mess hall. The group of infiltrators sneaked silently up the stairs until they came to another door.

“Wait here and let me handle this”, Nikephoros told them and knocked the door.

Someone came to the door and tried asking something from the other side, but the heavy door effectively silenced him. The Greek knocked louder and again someone tried talking to them. Frustrated Nikephoros started banging the door loudly until it was suddenly opened. A man, apparently a cook judging from the stains of blood and grease on his clothes, was standing in front of them with his eyes wide open and a shocked look on his face. Without hesitation Nikephoros grabbed the poor man and knocked him unconscious.

“I thought you were going to lure them to help us?!” baffled Yasir barked.

“I don't want to take any risks. Let us first see if we can win the soldiers to our side.”

There were three floors in the gatehouse. First one acted as a storage and entrance to the building while the barracks were situated on the second floor. As the living quarters were empty the men headed towards the third floor which acted as a guard tower. It was also where the gate's opening mechanism was situated.

There were a few dozen guards at the top who were taken by surprise and quickly laid down their weapons as Yasir's men surrounded them. Apart from their commander, most of the men were local commoners who had joined the militia and town guards for relief in tax or that little extra income and were easily convinced by Nikephoros to abandon their duties and go home.

The gate was opened hastily and a cloth burned on top of the gatehouse – a sign for Osmond's troops to begin their assault. At instant armed Armenians revealed themselves from their hiding places and rushed through the tiny gate into the city.

The defenders at the northern wall were completely surrounded, but didn't abandon their positions immediately; partly out of bravery and partly because they seemed to have no way of escaping. The battle turned ugly as the two armies clashed in the streets and on the wall. The Franks were squeezed into an ever-shrinking space and the ground along the walls was littered with blood and bodies. But not until the main gate had been tore open by the invaders did the outnumbered crusader army surrender.

Osmond led his men towards the castle which was surrounded by people who had been trying to get in, but denied entrance due to lack of space. The defenceless families were ready to submit to any fate imposed upon them by the Armenians.

The Catholic court knew the castle's defenders would rather risk their own lives in an uprising than that of their families in a desperate attempt to break the siege. After a restless night of quarrelling the castle gates were finally opened early the next morning and the soldiers laid down their weapons.

The crusader commanders were waiting for Osmond and his accompanies in the throne room and symbolically threw their swords to the ground as the victorious stepped inside. The emotions could be easily read from their faces; confusion, despair and anger over betrayal.

“My father always warned me not to trust you Greeks”, said Nikephoros I, the Duke of Antioch and head of the Poitou family, pointing out they had been allies just weeks ago.

“I'm not a Greek”, Osmond answered with a smirk, “and you can't blame us for seeking justice after the treacherous murder of my sister.”

The Duke opened his eyes wider and you could sense a glimmer of hope on his face as he responded: “But... but that is... We didn't... This is just a big mistake! A misunderstanding! We never...”

Osmond silenced the old man with a swift blow with a fist against his face and forced him on his knees.

“Enough of your pathetic lies!” he yelled and ordered two men to hold the Duke still.

“This will be the trial for your crimes against our family and state and I am the law”, he took off his gloves, “the judge”, his sword was unsheathed, “and the executioner – you are hereby sentenced to death!”

The Duke's head was separated from his body with a single strike from the Norman's blade.

Yasir wasn't happy with the swift delivery of justice and the whole situation seemed fishy to him. The Duke's innocent reaction to Osmond's mention of his murdered sister was convincing, but he knew better than to question the marshal's decisions.

The heir of de Poitou's, Frédéric, who was framed as the true villain, managed to flee and wasn't seen in all of Christendom ever again – at least by his true identity. It is probable that he fled south-east to the deserts and either malnourished or was caught by hostile forces. Rumours say he converted and settled somewhere near Baghdad as a farmhand.

Feasts were arranged around the city to mark the victory over the crusaders. The Orthodox denomination and its institutions regained their dominant position and the numerous pilgrims were driven from the city by a popular demand.

But alarming news soon arose when the officers found an interesting piece of document from the vast collection of letters, orders and messages seized from the Poitous.

Apparently the Franks had managed to send a plea for help to their Serbian allies as the siege began, calling for immediate offensive against the Principality of Cyprus-Cilicia. Although Serbia was a relatively small kingdom, it could match Cyprus-Cilicia when it came down to raw power. The king of Serbs, Braslav, was a greedy man and even the numerous failed attempts to expand into their neighbours' lands, especially Bosnia, hadn't curbed his ambition – it was probable his army was already on the move towards the realm of the Komnenoi.

Serbia_map1.png

Osmond's orders were clear; Yasir was to travel back to Cyprus by sea and report on their success, as well as warn of the new, looming threat in the horizon – ships would be sent to scout the waters to the west. The marshal himself would continue back to Seleucia by land and could afford to leave only a small portion of his men to secure the newly-captured city.

The Norman decided to hand the governorship of Alexandretta to Nikephoros Petraliphas due to his popularity in order to avoid possible uprisings and the chaos, common during the months after a siege.

The Hetoumis' were angered by this move; both had been promised spoils of war which they would never see. In order to calm them down, Osmond allowed them to pull their armies from the campaign and return home, radically shrinking the men available to counter the possible Serbian offensive.

Meh, I think you can easily overcome any puny army those OPM Serbs throw at you. Nicely written again, Kazmir.

Thank you both. And I was actually surprised by the amount of men the Serbs could muster in the game, but more of that later. ;)

It's been a while sice I last updated and don't expect regular updates to continue quite yet because it is summer, I am renovating and moving to a new apartment soon and Vicky2 is about to be released.

I merely hope you will not abandon this AAR but continue until the very end, no matter what! But it is your decision of course.

Don't worry, I want to continue this AAR as I think I've finally found the perfect style both for gameplay and writing. My other creations have ended up in the trash can for unfortunate reasons and trying too hard. The game itself is somewhere around year 1300 I think, been many months since I last played but I have 4 notebooks (paper ones!) full of notes. I'll keep writing whenever I feel like it, but as I explained earlier I will be quite busy for the coming month or two.

I might put this on hold to write a short Vicky AAR though. That is, if the game is playable before the first expansion. ;)

Chapter XXI: Serbian Invasion

May 1219

Seleucia_sunset1.png

“You illegitimate dog! How dare you show your face here after your treachery!” the angry character greeted Osmond as this walked past the bathing room. The man rose from his tank and hastily covered himself with a piece of cloth.

“I'll have you exiled for this! You stole my chance for fame, for riches and land!” the man's face was red of anger and he was waving his arm – the one not holding his towel still, wildly in rage while spouting the most unsuitable words imaginable.

“Calm down Petros, I don't have time for your pitiful show, where's William?”

The teenager didn't answer, but instead continued his tantrum and started complaining about the profits he had lost from deprived spoils of war. Osmond pushed the boy from his way and kept walking onwards through the corridor yelling for William's name and asking nearby servants who just gave him confused and terrified looks.

Petros had managed to spread terror into the castle's staff with made-up stories of his half-brother's cruelty, short temper and madness. It wasn't for any practical use, but managed to satisfy his own hatred towards the Norman.

Osmond walked back to his brother and grabbed the man from his shoulders, yelling at his face: “One last time: where is our nephew?! There's a Serbian army on its way here and we need to set up proper defences!”

Suddenly Petros's appearance changed from an offended old maid to the weak kid whom everyone kicked around: “W-We're under attack? There's an... an... an ARMY on its way here?”

“Yes!” Osmond said and dangled a piece of parchment in front of Petros's face, “I received a message from our patrol vessels, the army has passed Cyprus and will appear to the horizon any moment now. Why they are coming here instead of attacking the island – I don't know, but they have apparently mustered a massive fleet full of experienced soldiers.”

“Serbians? Did you say... Serbians?” Petros inquired with an anxious look on his face.

“Yes, Serbians! What's the big deal?”

“I... I might know why they are coming here instead of attacking the capital...”

nemanjic_shadow.png

Coat of Arms of the Nemanjic family who control Serbia.

Osmond seemed confused as Petros continued: “I have a friend... his name is Bozidar and we met in Constantinople. We regularly exchange letters and he... well he sits in the Serbian court”, the boy held a pause and swallowed, his eyes begging for pity and mercy, “I... I might have mentioned him of our army heading to Alexandretta and some other minor things, like how weak the city defences are... He's interested in stuff like that!”

The marshal couldn't believe his ears, it was now his time to turn red of anger: “You imbecile! You would go ahead and tell any state secret to your idiot friends if asked for! You told a Serbian that we would attack their allies and leave our largest city undefended?! Did you really think that was smart thing to do?!”

His brother got angry again: “Stop slandering my friends! They're a classy bunch unlike you barbarians! You don't even recognize the basic etiquettes!”

Osmond couldn't take Petros's arrogant behaviour any more and kicked this on the knee, followed by a loud yelp.

“I'd end your pitiful existence right here if you weren't my brother. Now tell me, where is William?”

“He left with rest of the garrison to check out an alleged border violation by the Turks in the north a week ago”, Petros responded with tears in his eyes as he sat on the ground holding his knee.

Fear leaped into Osmond's mind; with the absence of William and the men they had not taken with them to Alexandretta, he would have to defend the nearby lands alone with less than 3000 exhausted men who had gone through enough hardships as it was.

Osmond immediately began assigning duties to his soldiers. He would concentrate all his available forces to the Castle of Seleucia, a strong fortress on a hill just south of the city. There were not enough men to spare for defending the city itself which would have to rely on its strong walls and the castle's nearby presence. The stronghold had been recently fortified and repaired by William and it could tolerate even a harsh bombardment. The steep cliffs surrounding it provided an excellent protection from siege towers and effectively prevented enemies from launching an assault on the castle.

CASTLE OF SELEUCIA
Castle_seleucia.jpg

1. Living quarters of the court and nobles, as well as gathering hall and the throne room.
  2. Living quarters for servants and staff, as well as kitchen, toiletries, bathing rooms and dining hall.
  3. Barracks 1.
  4. Barracks 2.
  5. Storage building.
  6. Armoury.
  7. Stables.
  8. Castle chapel.
  9. Small plot for various vegetables.

However, it had one weakness; there was no source of drinkable water inside the castle walls, and only one well in case of fires. The castle relied entirely on a river which ran through the city of Seleucia and would not stand alone for long if completely surrounded.

Four days later

Serbian_fleet.png

Smoke was rising from Seleucia's harbour village of Limenas as the Serbs burned and plundered it. Rows upon rows of ships surrounded the nearby waters and men were being unloaded on the shore.

“They seem to be getting ready to move onwards from the landing site. We can't afford any mistakes”, Osmond told one of his commanders.

“There must be at least five thousand of them!”

“Yes, but they have brought little if any cavalry. This whole invasion seems to have been planned hastily, my guess is they are relying solely on numbers.”

“My liege, they don't seem to have brought much siege equipment with them either. They must be aiming to exhaust us by starvation. We should prepare for a long siege”, another commander commented as the Serbian army began their march miles away.

“We cannot afford that to happen without any source of drinking water on this blasted rock! We have to strike them while they least suspect it and hope to rout them. Prepare the horses, I will lead this charge myself”,
Osmond ordered and turned to Petros before getting on his mount.

“I have no choice but to leave the castle under your command for you possess the highest rank here. I will lead our best men hidden through the mountain valleys and try to attack their flank. It will be a hit and run operation, do NOT close the gates behind us.”

Petros gave a slight nod to signal he had understood what to do and Osmond galloped out of the castle with 400 of his finest horsemen.

Serbia_route_2.jpg

The Serbian army was unguarded this far from their target and merrily marched through the recently paved road leading to the city. Their horsemen could be counted in dozens, mainly men of higher birth who could afford to bring their mounts onto the ships.

Osmond gave a signal with his hand and the Armenians charged out of their hiding places. Ground trembled under the surprised Serbians as they saw a horde of cavalrymen riding down the hills to their left. Some men panicked and started fleeing from the horsemen. The Serbians desperately tried to form defensive positions but it was too late; Osmond's forces crashed against the Serbians, hurling men backwards and into the air as they pushed through the invaders' ranks.

More men started fleeing from the Serbian's columns, but they soon regained their will to fight. The Armenians had passed the enemy's convoy killing hundreds and now turned around to strike again, but the Serbians were better prepared this time.

Osmond_charge.png

Osmond led his men into a full charge again and managed to push deep into the Serbian lines, until he noticed they were stuck. The horsemen were suddenly surrounded by hostile soldiers blocking them from all directions and would have to fight their way out. The marshal swung his sword around fiercely as he mowed down the Serbians with his men, but their struggle was desperate. For every man they managed to down another five took his place. Osmond was losing men fast and decided to try and brake through the enemy lines and retreat back to the castle.

The Norman waved his arms and his men understood, the horsemen turned around and headed towards the direction from which they had charged for there were less Serbians blocking their way. They fought for their life as they pushed through spearmen trying to prevent them from leaving the death-trap. They lost many souls in their attempt but at last managed to free themselves and fled towards the castle. The Serbians were left enraged by the ambush and started chasing the Armenians.

Osmond looked around him as he rode onwards; his losses had been bigger than he had thought. There were less than a hundred horsemen riding alongside him and the Serbian archers kept reducing their numbers. He looked back and saw Serbian cavalry closing on them; they were equipped lightly and their horses weren't as exhausted.

The castle was already in their sight as the Serbian horsemen caught Osmond and his men, slowing them down considerably. They didn't even try to fight the Armenians, such a battle they would have most likely lost, instead they circulated the marshal and his men, giving their infantry time to catch up. The Norman told his men not to waste energy charging the enemy cavalry teasing them but concentrate on defending themselves, they would be soon at the safety of the castle walls.

Once they arrived to firing distance from the castle, the horsemen chasing them withdrew back to the footmen to avoid being pierced by the castle's archers. But there was a shock awaiting for Osmond and his men instead of relief as they arrived to the gates.

“Closed... that brat has closed the bloody gates!”

He brought his horse to a halt and yelled at the men on the wall: “Open the gates immediately, that's an order!”

No one answered.

“I know you can hear me you little bastard! I'll have all of you executed for treason if these gates remain closed even for a moment longer!”

Petros looked down at his half-brother from atop the walls and turned to the soldiers at the gate's control mechanism: “Don't listen to him, keep them closed.”

“But lord, you heard him! He will punish us all if we don't do as he commands!”

“The dead deal no sentences!”

It didn't seem to convince the men and they were getting ready to open the gates. Petros lost his patience and yelled his proposal to all nearby men: “A fistful of silver to anyone who keeps their damned hands off that lever!”

The men looked at him for a moment and let go of the controls. Although Seleucia wasn't as hard hit as rest of Cilicia thanks to its large river, the drought had still affected the area and many of the defenders' families were struggling day to day to get by. It was an offer too tempting to let pass. The men stepped away from the levers in a bleak mood – all of them knew they were murderers now.

Osmond raved on for a while, cursing the men inside the castle but soon gave up his hope of having the gates open. Serbian archers were still taking their toll on his horsemen – there was just a few dozen of them left. The footmen were closing in on them and were blocking the road to the castle; it was too late to flee now with only steep cliffs on either side.

The marshal jumped down from his horse, slaying it with his sword to take cover from incoming arrows behind its carcass. Many of his men followed the example and some tried to climb down the cliffs in a desperate attempt to escape the looming end, failing miserably and falling to their deaths.

The arrows stopped flying around. The Serbians were at the base of the hill now and started advancing upwards, their minds and thoughts blinded by rage and bloodlust. They were fired upon by the castle's archers, but most didn't care – they wanted the marshal and his men to pay for the loss of friends and comrades.

Osmond rose from behind his dead horse and prepared himself for battle. He unsheathed his well-crafted sword and gave his last order with a shaky voice: “Die with honour!”

----------------------------
And to this cliffhanger I will end this AAR for the next month or two and put this on hold due to the release of Victoria II, to which I will write a [hopefully] short AAR. If the game is broken at release or boring I will get back sooner. ;)

Last edited:
I am sure there will be an update on the 15th of August.... :rofl:

What's so special about that date? Or do you mean I get frustrated with Vic2 in two days because of how broken it will be? :p

Well well, hello again.

For the past week or two I have been trying to get back to writing this AAR with little success and I have come to the conclusion that too much time has passed since my "short break" to continue. I can no longer remember who is who (from the characters not yet introduced) and my notes are horribly inadequate to offer much help (for example I wrote "tell of Isaakios" on one page - the problem is I have no idea which of the many Isaakioses I meant or what I must tell of him).

I also no longer feel any connection to the existing story or characters and to be frank when I reread these eight pages I got terribly bored before I had gone through half of it. :eek:o

Thus I have decided to write a detailed summary that explains what happens to everyone and the state of Cyprus-Cilicia all the way to year 1300 which is the year of last save.

After that I will start afresh with a new narrative AAR of similar style on some other part of the world.

Sorry for all you who have been anticipating a proper continuation.

A shame this AAR has come to it's end. I really enjoyed it! I'm waiting eagerly for your next narrative piece :).