• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well the thing is that with the old rules, we knew a lot more about how exactly they worked because in addition to the text, we could see the rules in action (though mods and admins), which essentially allowed plenty of clarifications on what was and wasn't allowed. But if it's essentially the same as before but shorter and clearer, then I guess there isn't much point to a detailed comparison.

No worries the spirit is the same, not like we had a regime change. :)

I also would like to see some official statement about this. I wonder, if I make let's say a wallpaper with any game's theme (not using any Paradox materials) and post it here on forums, it becomes automatically a property of Paradox despite it is my work? What if I only link to that wallpaper hosted on another (media hosting) server? Will it remain mine in that case? I really don't know what to think about that paragraph...

PS: About the fact, who actually owns game modifications, I think this is regulated more by EULA of the respective games, not forum rules (this virtually makes all mods illegal).

The copyright has not changed in this set of rules, except who you need to get permission from.
Regarding anything else, if you do not want Paradox to have copyright, don't post your secret plans for world domination or I will claim them as my own and implement it before you do. ;)

• 1Like
Reactions:
In the signature rule clarification I don´t see that posting an ordinary picture in your signature is forbidden (even if that it´s hinted that there only should be text).
Maybe there could be a good idea to make that more clear?
Maybe something like:
I) Your signature should not include any kind of pictures or other non text material?

Does the pic tag even work there?
You have my permission to try?
I cannot confirm because my permissions may be different.

Code:
2. {Talk to staff by PM} You will not argue with, comment on or question the actions/authority/ or comments of the Paradox staff (Administrators, Moderators, etc.) in a public forum. Should you wish to do so you are directed to contact the Paradox staff via PM (the private messaging system - see “How to Contact Staff” below).

Respectful Question - please.

Most of the above is clear. Its the rule against us commenting on the comments of a Paradox staff that I would like clarified.

I understand if they are saying stop or that something is not permitted etc we should not comment on this.

But what happens when they are not in the disciplinary mode but in the discussion / announcement mode such as there is now a new feature, or the feature works as follows, or the following bug is fixed and we see it is not fixed. It would seem strange that we have to avoid referring to their post. Also we can't always send PMs in response as at least for me I can't PM Johan ( and I understand why he would not want to get 1000's of PMs) so are we allowed in the discussion / announcement context to comment on Paradox staff comments?

My intent is to comply to the rules and I don't want to be banned.

Just as some level of common sense is used on our end when applying rules, it must also be on the members end.
Obviously you are commenting on my post, and you did not receive an infraction.

Now most of my posts in public forums tend to be of the administrative type, but Demi Mods for instance often engage in more casual conversations and discussions.
My understand is that most of them use a "Mod color" to denote when they are speaking as staff, and the default when speaking as a member. However you must still use reasonable judgment if it could be construed as being a staff comment when posted in the default color.
If it is really ambigiuos then use a PM to be safe.

As for Johan, if you wish to discuss any administrative action he has taken feel free to PM me, my inbox is unlimited, I will always get it.

*And yes I have granted myself an exemption from the multipost rule in this case. ;)

Does the pic tag even work there?
You have my permission to try?
I cannot confirm because my permissions may be different.

Oh, I can confirm that the tag doesn´t work in the signature.
I just thought it would since I have seen it on other forums. But I guess they have a different Signature Permission for regular members.

Well, I guess I should check stuff before coming with suggestions. :oo

In the past, I have posted links to GamersGate when Paradox games went on sale. Do the new rules (i.e. no external links) prohibit that?

In the past, I have posted links to GamersGate when Paradox games went on sale. Do the new rules (i.e. no external links) prohibit that?

Good question. I would like to know this also since my understanding is it would be ok since the post would be promoting a Paradox product not something I was selling to trying to sell.

I also would like to see some official statement about this. I wonder, if I make let's say a wallpaper with any game's theme (not using any Paradox materials) and post it here on forums, it becomes automatically a property of Paradox despite it is my work? What if I only link to that wallpaper hosted on another (media hosting) server? Will it remain mine in that case? I really don't know what to think about that paragraph...

PS: About the fact, who actually owns game modifications, I think this is regulated more by EULA of the respective games, not forum rules (this virtually makes all mods illegal).

Through the magic of the internet, I was able to ascertain what this might mean. Quoted from the website of Sweden's Ministry of Justice:

Compositions in speech or in writing, computer programmes, databases, musical and stage works, works of pictorial art, architectural art, applied art - as well as all types of spiritual creation of a literary or artistic work - are protected by copyright law. The law gives artists, authors, composers or other creative persons the right to decide how their literary or artistic works are to be used.

For a creation to be regarded as a work, it must have attained the high standard required of a work. This implies that the work should display originality or individuality as a result of the originators personal making. It is, in other words, the originators special way of expressing something that is protected, not the ideas or facts that the work may contain.

I surmise therefore that by posting on this forum I give up the right to my exact words (that is, I could not republish the very words I write here without written permission of Paradox Interactive) but not my ideas and so forth. I searched Google for "swedish copyright law" and this came up at the top of the search results.

I would take this to mean as a practical matter that you host your own original work (or artwork based on public domain work, like images on Wikisource) on a site that allows you to retain copyright if that is a concern. Though I would say that as an academic historian that I consider it plagiarism to use another's work without attribution. I am not conversant on Swedish law in this matter, but I take from Uppsala University's website that plagiarism in Sweden is similar to what I lecture my students on here in the states. Many writers do not hold copyright on their own material (it belongs to say a press or academic journal for example), but it is a professional obligation to attribute some idea or other to the original author even if you do not know his or her legal name. I mean no offense to any party by what I say here, but I just wanted to share the results of my rather shallow research on Swedish laws related to the production of artistic materials, which much of what members of this forum share with the community should IMHO be considered. Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
So you can sue me if I post a guide here - and then paste it to a Wiki? :)

some weird rules i expect them to be used selectively, no?

They're basically the same as when you joined three years ago. What exactly is weird about them?

6. {No Spamming} You will not flood or post on the forums redundant, empty, or nonsensical posts or advertisements as determined by Paradox staff (i.e. no "spamming"), or necromancy (posting in old threads). Chain letters, pyramid schemes and solicitations of any kind are not allowed on this Board.

Best part of rule 6. :p

GG does not have a forum, so it is fine.

Linking to a page that sells our games is ALWAYS permitted.. :)

As Johan says a link to a page that sells Paradox games, from a major retailer is okay.
I will clarify his remark to say that just because you put a sales link on your page does not mean you can link to that page regardless of the other content on it. For instance linking to a Nazi site that has a sales link for HOI3 is not permitted.

I think this is obvious, but links to the EU3wiki (and other Pdox wikies) are ok, yes?

Well, I s'pose that if I ever want to contribute with original content, I'll first have to publish it somewhere else. Anyway, good to read the rules once more, keeps you fresh. :)

well for example using "foul" language as an emphasis is banned but I don't think calling someone a cockroach is.
But that's because I'm not a native English speaker.

The rule says "You will at all times respect and refrain from harassing and/or personally attacking other users or Paradox staff." Calling someone a cockroach would most likely fall under that category and result in an infraction for insulting another poster.

Status
Not open for further replies.