• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

swilhelm73

Strong Badder then You
28 Badges
Mar 27, 2001
Visit site
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Age of Wonders: Planetfall
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome Gold
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
I see the requirements for forming the Slavic Union require Kingdom of Kievan Rus which doesn't exist in 769. I presume that if you start in 769 you need k_Ruthenia instead, and can form the Union that way...right?

I see the requirements for forming the Slavic Union require Kingdom of Kievan Rus which doesn't exist in 769. I presume that if you start in 769 you need k_Ruthenia instead, and can form the Union that way...right?

That is correct. :) Kievan Rus and Ruthenia are actually both k_ruthenia, it's only the display name that's different. The Slavic Union decision only checks for k_ruthenia, not the display name :)

EDIT: Ruthenia will actually change name to Kievan Rus if it's ruled by a Russian with his capital in Kiev, but again, it has no effect on the Slavic Union. :)

Reactions:
For posterity's sake, in case anyone is having trouble forming the Slavic Union in the future, the decision is in HFP_realm_decisions.txt ("form_lcr"). As of 3.1.1, it will show up if:
  • You are either of Russian, Polish, Bohemian, Volhynian, Ilmenian, Severian, or Pommeranian culture;
  • You are either a king or emperor; and
  • the Slavic Union title is titular (it has no de jure land) and is not held by anyone.
It becomes clickable if you are also:
  • An adult, with a prestige of 5000 or more;
  • Not a viceroy, at war, or incapable; and
  • Completely in control of the kingdoms of Bohemia, Poland, Galicia-Volhynia, Ruthenia, Chernigov, Vladimir, and Novgorod (though, as per Karlington's post above, these might have different names in your game).
It won't show up if you are playing an alternate start (i.e. your world is shattered or randomised).

Edit: k_rus is not "Rus", but rather "Novgorod". Thanks Karlington!

Last edited:
Reactions:
  • Completely in control of the kingdoms of Bohemia, Poland, Galicia-Volhynia, Ruthenia, Chernigov, Vladimir, and Rus (though, as per Karlington's post above, these might have different names in your game).

Slight correction: there is actually no kingdom known as Rus in the game. I think you read k_rus in the file, but in the game it's known as the kingdom of Novgorod. :)

I don't want to hijack this thread, but how would one go about forming the union? I always wanted to do it, but you need a huuuuge area of land and basically you are stuck with some form of gavelkind for a while. I never knew how to start.

In terms of best starting points, Kiev or Bohemia seem like a good place. Especially Bohemia is one of the best demesnes in central Europe, Moravia on top of it, if you want two duchies.

In case anyone else finds this from a Google search I suggest starting as Lithuanian for Tanistry (keep your demesne from fracturing) and changing culture later when you've formed an empire.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Well, I personally wouldn't start as Kiev in 769 because I play with matrilineal marriage turned off, so it would be game over as soon as the starting ruler dies. With matrilineal marriage on, it's still a tough start because of the nomads next door.

The suggestion by DB42 to start as a Romuva ruler (who doesn't have to be of Lithuanian culture) seems a good one Not only does it allow you to avoid Gavelkind, but you can take the ambition to form the Kingdom of Lithuania, and once you own all of Lithuania and have formed the kingdom, everybody else will be of a different faith from you, so you can used county conquest against anyone (and Holy Wars and GHWs once you reform the faith).

• 1Like
Reactions: