• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

pretyx

First Lieutenant
7 Badges
Jul 1, 2010
  • For the Motherland
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Semper Fi
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • 500k Club
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Cities: Skylines
I am attempting to install FTM via GG download EXE. Attempting to install it after download prompts the following error:

"The setup files are corrupted. Please obtain a new copy of the program".
I recreated this error on a different computer. SF and TFH install without issue. Appears to be an issue on GG's side?

If anyone else has this error please share. If there is a work around or if this is a known issue (never had this issue before when I have installed several times throughout the years), please share!

Thank you.

Last edited:
They will probably fix it in a couple of weeks or months. Send them angry emails about it. That's what I did when their HoI3 installers didn't work for Win10 back when that was released and they did eventually fix the problem.

But the real lesson here is that GG is garbage and you should support GOG or Steam over it as they do not have such issues. I deeply regret that I purchased HoI3 through GG way back when.

Reactions:
They will probably fix it in a couple of weeks or months. Send them angry emails about it. That's what I did when their HoI3 installers didn't work for Win10 back when that was released and they did eventually fix the problem.

But the real lesson here is that GG is garbage and you should support GOG or Steam over it as they do not have such issues. I deeply regret that I purchased HoI3 through GG way back when.
Thanks. Yes I sent them an email. I will send another now. I'd purchase on Steam if I were to do it over again, but I bought all the HOI 3 titles 11 years ago. I appreciate the response.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Thanks. Yes I sent them an email. I will send another now. I'd purchase on Steam if I were to do it over again, but I bought all the HOI 3 titles 11 years ago. I appreciate the response.
Usually, Steam has regular sales and it can get pretty inexpensive.

Bear in mind that base HOI3 games from GamersGate, GoG, Amazon, or original CD should work with expansions from any of GG, GoG, Amazon, or other sources, but a Steam game won't work with anyone else's downloads or vice versa. I had originally installed an Amazon expansion and a GG expansion to an original CD version of HOI3, and it all worked until Windows 10, which no longer recognized the DRM used on the CD for copy protection. I downloaded a new base game, and it all works again, after a bit of work to get the proper C++ files and other gyrations as spelled out in the Support section of the forum. A Steam expansion would not recognize the non-Steam base game as valid.

While I don't recommend GamersGate any longer, I'm no fan of Steam. It does work well for some people, however.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Re-reading the original post, I'm wondering if the problem might be the installation order. You have to install FTM before TFH. Base game, Semper Fi, For the Motherland, and then Their Finest Hour. Any other order won't work.

Reactions:
Re-reading the original post, I'm wondering if the problem might be the installation order. You have to install FTM before TFH. Base game, Semper Fi, For the Motherland, and then Their Finest Hour. Any other order won't work.
That is the issue. I have installed the base game and SF, but For the motherland will not install. I have emailed GamersGate support and still have not found a solution. I have recreated the issue on my laptop that has never had HOI installed and still get the same error. If its not a GG issue, the program install should fire something similar to "You need to have SF installed prior to installing FTM", etc.

I've got the same problem.

Oh, this thread may be more than 5 months old, but it sure does need further discussion, cause the problem persists! So, somewhen around xmas last year, something happened that made the version from GG uninstallable and it hasnt been fixed, yet. I havent posted anything on these fora for years, but this irks me a lot. Installing Hearts of Iron 3 has always been troublesome, so i didnt think much of the first error messages - i already overcame several problems to even get to this point. But if the copy offered for download is simply broken... and it´s known and doesnt get fixed in almost a year, when it used to work just fine before? What the hell? Can i have discs, please?

Oh, while we are at it - i wanted to play Cities Skylines again today, and had to learn, that all the mods are broken by an update i didnt ask for, so that the base game can give me SOME of the very same assets? Great weekend, i am having. Thanks!

EDIT: But the ICON works. How glad i am. Let it be known, that 2 of those icons ("for the motherland" and, by extension, "their finest hour") over there to the left are just that. Icons. I cannot actually play the games. And who wants to play HoI 3 without those? So really it´s 4 icons that are just window-dressing.

EDIT2: I also let GG know, their copy of FtM doesnt work anymore.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
Not positive, but I think GG had all of its Paradox games pulled for some reason, so they may not even be able to do anything about the issue.

I'd have been concerned myself if things had gone slightly different, since I had purchased one of the expansions (SF?) through GG quite a few years back, installed onto a CD release of the base game, with later expansions purchased through Amazon and GOG (I think). When Windows 10 came out, it did not support on-disc DRM, so I could no longer use the CD, and had to re-purchase the game as a download. That came bundled with some of the expansions, so I no longer needed the one from GG, otherwise I'd be facing the same problem.

At this point, the game should be cheap enough to replace without breaking the budget. GOG just ran a sale on a bunch of Paradox games last week (possibly still on as of this morning).

Reactions:
Strange - My base game is on a CD as well and works fine (as much as this can be said for the base game of HoI3) on Windows10.

Look, though: I bought the game and all the expansions (full price mind you). I am not going to buy it again, just because GG is breaking the contract. What do you mean, they are not able to do anything about the issue? The very least thing they could do, is to admit they screwed up, apologize and give me (and all other purchasers) a voucher for their shop (EDIT: Or preferably one for another shop that actually still sells the title - for the amount the entire complete package costs there, as the expansions are not guranteed to work cross-vendors).

This attitude, that it´s okay to yank back what you bought by the one´s you bought it from is entirely inacceptable. If it´s due to Windows breaking compatibility, i am willing to give it a pass, but this is not the case here. The setup file is simply broken (and used to work just fine on Win10) and to top it all off, it´s been a reported issue for almost a year and no one in charge seems to think it´s worth fixing, cause "you can re-buy it somewhere else for cheap". If anything GG can buy it for me somewhere else for cheap.

Instead, what i got from GG is a standard reply (in english, though my complaint was filed in german, cause the form was in german), stating that the tech team can not reproduce the error (implying it´s my fault - i did sent a link to this thread to make sure they wouldnt give me the "have you tried turning it off and back on again"-treatment - to no avail, as it seems). I replied, asking if they download it from the same server as i would - and if they were not, if copying the file from that server to the other might not solve the issue. I probably gave everyone in their office a good laugh, for my naivité of taking their reply seriously. They probably have a button that generates this reply automatically and noone even really looked into it at all. Cause people these days are just willing to take it, apparently.

PS: I wonder if they are still offering the title on their store page.
PPS: No they dont, and aplogies: Kovax said so.
PPPS: Not to brag here, but remember those little colored edges on the counters that indicate "out of supply" and "command delay"? That was my idea. I posted it, some dev jumped in and said that it was a good idea and it got incorporated into the game next patch / expansion (i dont remember which). And now, i cannot even play the game anymore. At least the issue brought me back here - good to see some old names again. :)

Last edited:
Reactions:
It's likely that GG's poor support and failure to fix problems got Paradox to pull its games from their catalog. I no longer deal with them, since they don't seem to carry much of anything I want anymore, and because their reputation has apparently fallen into the toilet.

I do understand your frustration with people saying to "just buy it somewhere else", since I've had one disastrous incident with Steam and will never deal with them again, yet people keep telling me, right after I post that Steam isn't an option for me, "just buy it on Steam". Unfortunately, re-purchasing the expansion may be your only solution, other than not playing the game. GG may no longer even have a legal right to change anything. much less any incentive to do so, since they can't sell it.

Reactions:
This is my one frustration with D2D games; I also get the "don't want to pay for it again" but with external memory being as cheap as it is now surely Paradox could just charge a small fee for a USB with all of their older titles on it to resolve this issue? If you're German, I can't imagine that the post would cost that much either.

Had the same issue with the GG copy a few months back. Had some contact with the support, they were freindly but ultimately unable to help - I am a bit pissed to read now that this should be well known issue at GG support, still they behaved like it would have come out of the blue and only for me (they even claimed it worked for them when they tried it...).

I bought a copy on CD on ebay, installed it, then TFH installed again.