• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

DBofficial125

Sergeant
16 Badges
Apr 12, 2017
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings Complete
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
So I'm playing as the Vikings for the first time (got bored of Ireland/England) and am pulling my hair out now I have boats. It seems the game has a strange mechanic where you have 3 boats (300 capacity) but can't just put 300 of your 1200 army on it and leave the rest on land. I have no idea why but ok.

So now I have 9 boats and figured I'd send over one of my armies and some raiders for a total of 850ish... Only I can't do that either?

So now I've managed to place the 224 raiders on one lot of 3 boats. Put one main army away and got out a smaller 450 army as I have 6 boats remaining... but I can't put them on either!? It seems to split my boats into groups of 3 (300 men) merging them isn't an option and splitting my army into group of 300 isn't either.

How exactly is this supposed to work, I have no armies below 300 so its impossible to actually use my boats?

You have to merge your boats together into one stack. They merge like armies do, you just have to select all of them. Army units from the same holding, retinue, or vassal levy can't be split up.

Thank you, I somehow overlooked it. All working great now, just getting used to the new mechanics but so far loving playing as Vikings. On my first real King (first was only alive 3 years) and own Norway and Lapland's kingdoms, laying waste to England with raids and allied with my Nephew, Ragnarr King of Sweden.

As long as you're on gavelkind you should only ever hold one kingdom. And only create others when you're ready to create an empire. Though you get a claim when someone goes independent and can have a reunification war.

don't mix gavelkind and elective gavelkind.

In elective gavelkind, kingdoms will be created upon inheritance if you control enough land and they will likely merge again whoever of the kings dies first as a ruler is hard to beat for a courtier. Just verify that a kinsman inheriting a secondary kingdom is strong enought to survive but weak enough to not threaten you with his big claim on your title.