• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Rylock

Field Marshal
64 Badges
Mar 10, 2008
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Shadowrun: Hong Kong
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • PDXCon 2017 Awards Winner
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Shadowrun Returns
  • Shadowrun: Dragonfall
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Stellaris
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pride of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Crusader Kings II: Holy Knight (pre-order)
  • 500k Club
  • Victoria 2
The newspaper system added in Heart of Darkness is great, actually-- it adds a lot of flavor. I have two issues with it, however-- one big and one small.

The big issue: relevance. Newspaper story items are generated and then added into the newspaper regardless of their relevance to the player-- meaning a player is just as likely to see a news item from some tiny country halfway around the world from them as they are to see an item from a Great Power or a neighbour... or, depending on the story type, even their own nation. The problem with this is that it trains a player to ignore the newspaper. Half the time you take a look, and you see an article about how Atjeh really likes Siam or how Nassau is really afraid of Russia... but what does that matter if you're playing Argentina? Why should Argentina care if Parma just invented military training? One could say that's flavor, but there's enough useful information in the newspaper that you end up losing one in favor of the other simply because you can't be bothered to read what Nassau and Atjeh are up to every time.

The small issue: right now a change of ownership is tracked per province... so if a country conquers a state, you get one news item for each province in that state. It becomes pretty ridiculous to see a story about how proud the minister is that they now own X province, when you just saw how proud they were to own Y province in the same state. If a large amount of territory has changed hands, that likely means that a number of news items have gotten lost in the shuffle as a result. Worse, if a country becomes independent, there is no "Independence!" news story... it's just treated as if the new country has conquered its provinces and you get news items about, say, how pleased the CSA is to have acquired X province.

What could be done

* We have filters in place for the notifications in the bottom right of the screen, allowing you to pick countries you're interested in-- perhaps those settings could be applied to the newspaper as well?

* Failing the above, perhaps have it so that there is greater weight applied to certain stories... and less to others. So we should see first stories about our own country (so events, which AI countries like/fear us, wars, etc.)... give those greater weight. Then we should see things about Great Powers and, to a lesser degree, Secondary Powers. Then neighbours, or at least countries on the same continent. Others we shouldn't see anything at all, unless it's a war.

* The "province ownership" news story should instead be "state ownership". States are supposed to be the smallest unit of transfer in Vic2 anyhow, yes? I should see a news item about how pleased Germany is to have acquired Alsace-Lorraine... not how they're pleased to have acquired Colmar.

* Add an "independence" news story for countries which have just become freed, and have this override the province/state ownership story.

Modding

Failing the above items, having some more options for modding would be nice. Now, I've only played around with it a limited amount, but to my understanding you can only mod the newspaper scripts with the scopes provided (in the documentation, thank you very much for that-- it would have been impossible to figure out otherwise). They're pretty limited, however, and much of the stuff above can't actually be done-- other than increasing weight for the player's news items, anyhow.

What I wouldn't mind seeing, at the very least, is some tracking for the civ level of the tags involved in any news item. Since we have tags tracked, how about a separate array for each of the tags? A variable for each one, like 0 = unciv, 1 = civ, 2 = secondary power, 3 = great power? Being able to determine whether any of those tags neighbour a player would also be nice, but I'm not sure how that could be done... perhaps a binary 0/1 for each of the tags again?

There's no way to mod the independence story, since new stories can't be added (to my knowledge). But even just getting the above would help a lot.

Thanks again-- it's a great feature, and I'm glad you've added it.

it adds a lot of flavor

Yeah I definitely agree with your post - it's basically just flavor. The only useful thing is the main headline, sometimes it lets you know when GPs go to war but a lot of the time its like Russia invading Kokkand or something. Everything else is just...oh some guy in Baden invented something. Whatever. So yeah you're right it's a lot of nice flavor but not very useful otherwise.

Also the text of a new invention being discovered needs a rewrite for something that makes sense. Yesterday I found out the nice people of the Sikh Empire invented Adam Smith... I didnt open a newspaper after that.

I was really looking foward to the newspaper feature. i like to know what's going on in the world, instead of one day panning over to the other side and seeing a major change in borders, or 2 great powers fighting it out when I'm not looking. Of course, so far this meant that I had to been preety permissive with the pop up messages and sometimes be spammed with these, so I was really looking foward to getting a newspaper and checking out whats being happening, instead of getting a bunch of irrelevant pieces of information.

From where I stand, the text in the newspaper should be reserved for important events and decisions, plus wars and peace treaties affecting you or your neighbours (you know, the kind of stuff that would usually be on the first page of a newspaper), and Id like to have a button I could press or hover the cursor over to see what alliances have been signed, wars declared, peaces agreed on, in the last month, and other relevant information that doesnt have to be randomly given to the player innthe form of a newspaper article that's always the same and runs stale by the second editon. Just an idea.

Last edited:
Also the text of a new invention being discovered needs a rewrite for something that makes sense. Yesterday I found out the nice people of the Sikh Empire invented Adam Smith... I didnt open a newspaper after that.

Was that in a vanilla HoD game? The inventions have "news = yes/no" added into them to prevent many from getting into the news-- and I think all the people-oriented inventions are opted out.

From where I stand, the text in the newspaper should be reserved for important events and decisions, plus wars and peace treaties affecting you or your neighbours (you know, the kind of stuff that would usually be on the first page of a newspaper), and Id like to have a button I could press or hover the cursor over to see what alliances have been signed, wars declared, peaces agreed on, in the last month, and other relevant information that doesnt have to be randomly given to the player innthe form of a newspaper article that's always the same and runs stale by the second editon. Just an idea.

Well, the newspaper isn't meant to replace the notification ticker on the bottom right of your screen-- at least, not to my knowledge. It's largely flavor vs. informational, but I think what it provides should at least be relevant or the player will simply be trained to stop looking at it at all.