• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Cities: Skylines Official

Corporal
Paradox Staff
16 Badges
Jul 31, 2023
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Cities: Skylines - After Dark
  • Cities: Skylines - Snowfall
  • Cities: Skylines - Mass Transit
  • Colossal Order Staff
  • Cities: Skylines - Green Cities
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife Pre-Order
  • Cities: Skylines - Parklife
  • Cities: Skylines Industries
  • Imperator: Rome
  • Prison Architect
  • Cities: Skylines - Campus
  • PDXCon 2019 "Baron"
  • Imperator: Rome - Magna Graecia
  • Crusader Kings III
FAQ-Forum-1920x622 (1).jpg

Will Paradox Mods look different on Cities: Skylines II than on Cities: Skylines (1) or other games that already are on the platform?
We've been planning and working on the Paradox Mods platform for Cities: Skylines II from the very beginning of the development of the game and will continue after its release.

The version made for Cities: Skylines 1 was made so that a few hand-selected assets could be used on XBOX, and the idea for Cities: Skylines II is much grander. We want to make the creation, uploading, sharing, and downloading experience as smooth as possible for a community that enjoys modding as much as you do. We will have full freedom to make any changes, improve any feature, and take any suggestions and make them into reality, so when you get your hands on the platform, we will be listening eagerly to all your voices!

How will the Paradox Mods as a platform perform on its release?
As always, performance (download speed) all depends on how many mods the player is running and their size.

If a user has a significant amount of mods and a large portion has received updates when the game is started, it might take some time for those to download.

We are working on optimizing this process to allow for, e.g., differential updates (basically meaning that only the new/updated part of the mod will actually be downloaded) and also being able to sync more than one mod at a time (aka parallelized sync).

Will you have to log into Paradox Mods separately from Steam or Microsoft Store?
As long as you have connected your platform (Steam, XBOX, PSN) account with your Paradox account, there is no need to log in separately to Paradox Mods.

Will Cities: Skylines II launch paid mods or Microtransaction on Paradox Mods?
No. There will not be any paid mods for Cities: Skylines II on Paradox Mods.

How will Paradox Mods handle creations with updates? Do they download as soon as Steam is opened?
When any mod that you're subscribed to has an update, it will start downloading and updating automatically once the game is started.

Will you be able to publish copyrighted buildings or copyrighted brands?
You are able to publish anything that you create, but if we receive a cease-and-desist, it will be removed. It is the same process as on Steam Workshop.

Will you be able to vote, give thumbs up, give stars to creations you like, and what consequences will that have?
You will be able to rate mods using a thumbs up/like button.

Will there be any way to link two creations together if one needs the other, like Harmony Mod in Cities: Skylines 1?
Yes. Additionally, if dependencies exist, players will be asked if they wish to add the dependencies as subscriptions as well.

Is there any way to share comments on the page of a creation?
There will be a possibility to display links to common social channels such as Discord, X, YouTube - and Paradox Forum - for each mod. Eventually, a Paradox Forum thread can be displayed directly with the mod if the creator chooses to.

Who is handling the moderation of the Paradox Mods assets?
The moderation of Paradox Mods will be handled by Paradox, and all reports that are submitted will go through us. (This is also the case for Steam Workshop, so there is no change in the process).

How big will the game be when I download it?
The game will be about 50GB at release.

Will we be able to Pre-Load it before release?
Yes! You can Pre-Load it 24hrs before release!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT 18/10 9:50 CEST: Added a firmer tone to the statement about "Paid Mods." We will never have any paid mods on Paradox Mods.

EDIT 23/10 17:40 CEST: Changed Pre-Load FAQ to state that we do now indeed have a Pre-Load

Last edited by a moderator:
  • 18Like
  • 2Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
Thank you very much for the clarification, it’s greatly appreciated. When will the modding website be released? Is there an expected ETA?

And finally, why did you move away from Steam Workshop? What is wrong with promoting Paradox Mods and allowing Steam Workshop support like all other Paradox games?

• 5Like
Reactions:
We've been planning and working on the Paradox Mods platform for Cities: Skylines II from the very beginning of the development of the game, and will continue after it's release.
If you've been planning and developing this for so long, why did you wait until the last week before release to drop the news? :rolleyes:

• 20Like
Reactions:
Thank you very much for the clarification, it’s greatly appreciated. When will the modding website be released? Is there an expected ETA?

And finally, why did you move away from Steam Workshop? What is wrong with promoting Paradox Mods and allowing Steam Workshop support like all other Paradox games?

We don't have a date to announce yet, but as soon as we can share that, we will.

Your second question was answered in yesterdays FAQ;
We are using Paradox mods for Cities: Skylines II. This is to ensure cross-platform modding compatibility and to provide an integrated in-game experience for our players.

• 8Like
Reactions:
We don't have a date to announce yet, but as soon as we can share that, we will.

Your second question was answered in yesterdays FAQ;
Thank you for your answer. What I meant was that I understand the desire for cross-compatibility, but why can’t the Steam Workshop be part of the process as well for PC players?

And just curious: how quickly do u estimate mods can be uploaded to your website? Will there a long approval process for each and every mod, or will be as smooth as the steam workshop?

• 7Like
Reactions:
As someone who once played Cities:Skylines on Epic before getting it on Steam, I'm absolutely pleased with this change. Finally, all players will be able to access mods and assets, regardless of platform, which, to me, is a very welcome change!

• 10Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Does the game require a permanent connection of some kind to use mods, or can you still for example manually move mods in and out and activate them ingame irrespective of some PDX mod connection?

Anyway. Thanks for the FAQ. Something that does actually answer many of the main questions around the change.

• 3Like
Reactions:
That’s been done perfectly fine with CK3 and all other Paradox mods, even Vic 3… so why can’t CS2?
As someone who plays CK3, EU4, Vic3 and HOI4, I don't know basically anyone who uses Paradox Mods, because the workshop is there. But with the change, everyone will need to use PDX Mods, which will make mods available for everyone (finally).

• 4Like
Reactions:
Since you won't have comments on the mods themselves. Is there going to be some type of indicator, or compatibility flag so that when mods haven't been updated yet for the newest version that the mod author or (if it can be detected through your tools) that the mod shows it requires an update from the author to work with current version.

This was something that could quickly be scanned by looking at the most recent comments typically after a patch.

Reactions:
As someone who plays CK3, EU4, Vic3 and HOI4, I don't know basically anyone who uses Paradox Mods, because the workshop is there. But with the change, everyone will need to use PDX Mods, which will make mods available for everyone (finally).
I play EU4, Imperator, Vic3 and ur absolutely right. But going by Paradox history of releasing new stuff on their website and launchers, I don’t have a lot of hope that it will be better than the Steam Workshop.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I don't think supporting two platforms is that feasible for mod devs. Having done some mods to other games, although not for CS1, I found Steam Workshop a bit cumbersome for publishing updates to my mods. Personally I wouldn't want to do the same work for two distribution platforms. Then again, I'm rather lazy, so maybe for others it's not a big deal... ;)
Hard to tell because first you say it's not that feasible, then that it is a bit cumbersome and at last that for other modders may not be a big deal.

As the a final user I don't like there is no Steam Workshop but it's not a deal breaker if the Paradox Workshop is good enough. It might be for many other users though.

Currently Paradox Mods already has a website (https://mods.paradoxplaza.com/) so I would assume that wouldn't change with the new Paradox Mods.
I know about that but as I understand that's not the same Paradox Mods CS2 is going to use so I'm not sure if you'll be able to do most modding things (like subscribing, following creators, sharing, organizing mods...) in CS2 without having to launch the game.

Because that means double of the work - they would have to maintain two platforms and integrate 2 different platforms in the game.
Is it really that much extra work?. And if so wouldn't be using the Steam Workshop alone instead of the Paradox Workshop a lot less work.

Not really, not for everyone. Console players only get custom assets, not mods. Or just in case not "code mods".

• 2Like
Reactions: