• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Valentin Vattista

Captain
53 Badges
Nov 25, 2017
  • Stellaris: Distant Stars
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Stellaris: Leviathans Story Pack
  • Cities: Skylines - Natural Disasters
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Stellaris: Humanoids Species Pack
  • Stellaris: Apocalypse
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Stellaris: Digital Anniversary Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Stellaris: Nemesis
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Stellaris: Necroids
  • Stellaris: Ancient Relics
  • Stellaris: Lithoids
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Stellaris: Federations
  • Crusader Kings III
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Magicka: Wizard Wars Founder Wizard
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Victoria 2
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Colonel
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Stellaris: Synthetic Dawn
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Stellaris: Galaxy Edition
  • Cities: Skylines Deluxe Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Stellaris - Path to Destruction bundle
The Situation is as following:

I, the count of Evreux, managed to marry one of my sons to the sole heiress of a neighboring county, which then made my grandson both the heir of her county and my county. He even lived at her court, was her vassal and held titles im her demesne for most of his early live.

She finally died a few decades later, but instead of inheriting her county, my now son simply just became a courtier in my court and I couldn't even press his claim. Imagine my shock when he finally became my character and not only had nothing but a weak claim on her land, but also couldn't press it. All I could do was to press the strong claim of his younger brother, which then obviously made him independant.

My question now is how it is possible that my character failed to inherit both counties, even though he was marked as the heir for both.

She finally died a few decades later, but instead of inheriting her county, my now son simply just became a courtier in my court and I couldn't even press his claim.

Check the succession type of that county, it might have changed since you last checked and would say something like seniority. If that is the case then the county wouldn't pass onto your son.

If that isn't the case snap some pics of the title, your title and your liege's title laws.

Succeed as your brother and press your claim. Press your brother's claim and arrange a convenient accident if you are his heir. Marry your heir to your brother's heir after pressing his claim - easy if same dynasty - and inherit in two generations. Attempt to get the new count into a regency either through hiding from murder plot or underage heir inheriting after a successful murder plot, and press your weak claim.

You have plenty of options if you did not succeed in inheriting a title.

Another sneaky trick is to mount a very bad assassination attempt on the current title holder. The target should find out pretty quick and may then go into hiding, once they do you can press your weak claim.