• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Forster: Nothing too much. Another few rounds of infantry, some (most?) of which actually go into the defensive line. My situation is a bit awkward, to be sure. :p
:D

As ever, the master of understatement! :rofl:

The situation looks grim. I wonder why the Germans are stuck? The German AI went on a rampage in my Japanese game, reaching the outskirts of Moscow within 8 weeks or so.

If we're lucky, Myth is pulling away enough Russian units to open up a gap for the German forces in Poland. However, Germany generally steamrolles Russia in my games, too. If not in 8 weeks, surely in 4 monts.

@ Myth, what's your estimate about the total size and composition of Russian forces moving away from the German front?

Looks like you may've overinvested in your navy. Your navy is superiour to everything it meets by a wide margin, while your army has had to abandon half of your empire.

Nazaroth: Hopefully. :p

Enewald: If the Finns reach the Alps and keep going south, then I'm just buggered. :p

anweRU: Might be to do with all the patching I've done during the game screwing the AI. :p

niise: That's a bit dramatic, isn't it? :D

Forster: I find understatement to be pretty fun. :D

Incognitia: Thanks, and welcome! And I think that's what we're all waiting to see. ;)

Baltasar: Not enough to influence German behavior, too much to guarantee the security of my defensive line for *too* long. :p

thatguy: Well it's not that I've overinvested in my navy as that I've underinvested in my army. At the height of my empire, I could easily invest sufficient resources into both! I just didn't. That was a mistake. :p

You are certainly very skilled at disengaging from the enemy when a situation goes bad. That's... not the most prestigious ability to have, but I suppose it is very helpful when you're vastly outnumbered like this...

Judas Maccabeus: Indeed, I suppose it would be...;)

Forster: Understatement is always preferable. :D

Update tonight! I realize I should've updated last night but I just couldn't write. Must've been because of how grueling Thursday was. Met Williamson Murray, for those of you who know of him (and if you don't, you should, as he's one of the most distinguished military historians alive today) and was in a seminar in which he was speaking from 11 to 1, and had dinner with him from 6-9. Between those times, I was in London with the Latvian minister of defense. So I was pretty shattered when I went to bed Thursday, and still pretty shattered Friday when I woke up. But I think I'm finally mostly recovered from all that running around now. :p

planning the invasion, what else, it being myth and all :p

Please don't make jokes like this, Russia has always been a strange mix of Envy and Paranoia -You might just be sparking a new war! -Of course the GRU -or whatever they are called nowadays -has their own version of Echelon...:(:D

As an aside, Myth has made me rather curius as to whom he is in real life ;)

Probably got everybody wondering. I thought he was a student, but now? It would appear he is only taking courses to enhance his career of for enjoyment, maybe. :)
Don't think he's a spy, do you:D

Morrell8: Let them wonder. :p

Juan_de_Marco: Damn straight. The Latvian army's so small I can be in Moscow with it before we're detected and overthrow Putin in a coup. :D

BlitzMartinDK: I'm nobody important. Not yet. ;)

Forster: Well I am studying at the University of Reading. Strategic Studies MA. :p

Update coming up!

The Year of Upheaval
Part 8: Technology I, January - June, 1942

As usual, Mussolini was not simply concerned with immediate combat operations, despite their obviously predominant importance in the first months of the year due to the stakes at risk. The advancement of technology is, of course, an important aspect of longer-term strategy and Mussolini always kept an eye and a hand on what his industrial and research teams were working on. The first half of 1942 manifested a research emphasis on the army, understandably, given its sudden and unwilling capture by the spotlight of strategy and history.

The first advancement of the year occurred on January 10, when Macchi finished their initial development of a medium fuel tank, which when equipped would extend the range of medium and naval bombers. Given the great gamble Mussolini was in the beginning stages of embarking upon, he ordered a study on infantry warfare to succeed this aviation development. The next two weeks were dry in terms of advancement, though Mussolini did order the construction of some forty convoy transports, as British submarines operating from Socotra at the mouth of the Red Sea were preying upon Italian convoys around the Horn of Africa. Soon after that, Cantieri completed their work on a more advanced large warship radar, and Mussolini immediately ordered another general staff study, this one on central planning. Cantieri turned in another completed project, a further developed small warship radar, early in February and this project was followed by another staff study, on large fronts. In the second week of February, the general staff completed a study on special forces, emphasizing primarily marine tactics, and a sequel was immediately ordered. Mid-February, however, saw the beginning of a long stretch of naval advancement that had been ordered last year, as on the 18th aircraft carrier anti-aircraft and light cruiser main armament was further developed by Cantieri. Mussolini temporarily decreased the number of projects by one, and simply replaced these two with a single project on advancing Italy’s radar development.

085-01-NavalArmaments.jpg

As usual, naval armament.

These developments were followed by Cantieri’s advancement of aircraft carrier engines, armor, and hangars by the 3rd of March. These projects were replaced by army projects on light artillery, infantry support weapons and small arms development. Naval advancement continued, however, with light cruiser improvements in engines and anti-aircraft armament. These two projects were replaced by an industrial audit to improve efficiency, and an industry initiative to improve supply production. March developments ended with an advancement in combat medicine, thus improving the trickle back rate of casualties into the national manpower pool. This was succeeded by a staff study on mass assaults, perhaps with some irony.

085-02-CombatMedicine.jpg

The advancement of Italian combat medicine.

April saw improvements in naval bomber and port strike tactics, at a useful time given that it was at about this point that Campioni had struck at Spanish ships at Ceuta and otherwise guarded the western Mediterranean from infiltrating British ships for some small amount of time. Both projects were ordered by Mussolini to be continued, as a plan had begun formulating in his mind. It was not, however, a plan aimed against the Soviets. In early May, the general staff completed another study on guerrilla warfare, and Mussolini ordered this continued. The crowning moment of May was, however, on the 6th. On that day, the naval staff completed its definitive study on the tactical doctrine necessary for a cohesive carrier task force. While there would still in the future be small, accumulating improvements in doctrine and training, the greatest single doctrinal task was over. Mussolini ordered that a study on naval strike tactics follow.

085-03-CarrierTaskForce.jpg

The development of the carrier task force.

The rest of May and June was largely dedicated to eclectic improvements. On the 11th of May, the study on infantry warfare begun in January was published and Mussolini ordered that Italian industry’s coal processing technologies be modernized. On the 25th of May, the central planning study was also completed, and a study on naval air targeting succeeded it. The 12th of June saw studies on large fronts and special forces published. Another study on special forces was immediately begun, as was a drive to modernize Italian rare material refining technology. June 21st saw an advance in Italian small arms and a project replacement by a study on improving Italian industry’s coal to oil conversion.

085-04-ArmyDoctrine.jpg

Two army doctrinal studies published.

As can be seen, Mussolini was still at this point pursuing a relatively balanced vision of the future, still tilted toward his carriers, but with a large amount of attention paid to the Regio Esercito. It was, after all, the only force standing in between the Red Army and Rome itself. He was not, however, overly worried about the east despite the events of the past six months there. He had faith in his commanders to hold, and he always had many parallel projects to pursue at once.

Carriers are what is holding the Mediterranean in Mussolini's hands, mostly, at the moment. if it wasn't for his fleets capabilities he wouldn't of been able to do many of the amphibious operations he has been conducting since they would almost of all been destroyed by the Kings navy :rofl:. what about the USA? have they been involved in the war at all?

As Schube already mentioned, the Fleet has been very useful so far and is continuing to show it's worth by harassing the Soviet avalanche coming down on the Ialian lines. However, those technological advancements for the fleet and the few resources spent in building up the army have left their mark. The army is spread thin and in between, with many of it's divisions only dual formations instead of the triangular formations fielded by almost all other nations. At least the this enabled more of Mussolinis generals to participate in battles and gain experience, however much comfort that might be right now. As usual, I would conclude my case by saying that the Italians lack the troops necessary to defend what they conquered.

Either try to destroy the enemy outright or conquer enough of his important realms to render him unable to fight on. The Italians currently lack the manpower for either of these possibilites and with the Dardanelles closed, there is no feasible way of surrounding the Soviets in Illyria, let alone Dacia or Anatolia, never mind that their formations are at least as good as Italy's.

What else is there to be expected right now? The Italians may or may not continue their advance into Africa or finally destroy the remnants of the British fleet in the Med. The Iberian peninsula still looks save, but where are the Prortugese standing?

But the real concern are the Soviets and that is the one which needs to be dealt with first and foremost. The Germans do not seem to make much headway right now, so unless they're finally managing to break through the Red tides, Italy will have to rely on it's on forces. Only good thing is, that the line can still be shortened a little, but that would allow the Russians to advance dangerously close to Venice.

Hastatii: I couldn't do that, they're all in Afghanistan. :p

Enewald: You just swing from one extreme to the other, don't you? Haven't you heard of moderation? ;) It's hard to have superior infantry, though I may actually have it given my doctrinal emphasis. I just don't have enough of it. And nukes would be worthless, as I have no delivery system. :p

GrenadierSchube: Well said. As for the USA, they're still neutral AFAIK. :p

Baltasar: A very good analysis of the situation. The Soviet Union is by circumstance my main enemy but not my preferred one. I need to come up with some strategy to at least incapacitate the Soviet forces in the area and prevent them from getting any closer to Rome. Should be quite a difficult thing to do. :p